Top MUD Sites

Main
Home
About this Site
MUD Forums
MUD Articles
MUD Reviews
TMS Rules
Our Affiliates
Advertise with Us
Feedback

Top MUD Sites
Add your MUD
Edit your MUD
Sites 1-20
Sites 21-40
Sites 41-60
Sites 61-80
Sites 81-100

BAT Mud

Reviews Section
Tsunami by Iyven

Alright here goes..

My most well known character is called Iyven. I've been a player on Tsunami for about five years, the mud itself has been going for ten. It's had it's ups and downs like all muds have eg. hosting problems etc. but has generally pulled through. When I first started playing in '98 the mud owner, Wildcat had pretty much abandoned the place to go play Everquest and without him being around a power vacuum developed in the wizard community (non playing staff) and it all became horribly political. During that time though there was a lot of freedom for expression and no real policy of exclusion, so the mud became a vibrant collection of clashing colours and contrasting personalities.. in short a great place to be.

The eventual winner of this political struggle was a wizard called Fingolfin, who was elevated to custodianship (God) in 2000. It all looked good at first, because he was a particularly fair and nice admin so people praised the appointment and looked forward to good things to come. After a while as God though he changed a lot, and things started to deteriorate rapidly.

Compared to when I started playing the situation is poor right now. The political system is even worse than before with the only difference being that it's now geared up to the new God. There's been an exodus of players away from the mud, many of whom feel rejected, or who have become dispondant with things.. and it's really led to a lack of atmosphere. Some of the oldies are left, though becoming increasingly jaded and exhibiting a kind of mud loneliness by the lack of peers to talk to... everyone that's played for some time has lost friends. Also, there have been some very unpopular changes forced upon the mud despite the pleas of nearly all players (and wizards), which has fostered a kind of resentment about the way things are run right the way up to the top.

Players have no real rights on Tsunami now, other than to play for free. Wizards have no real rights to add their own ideas if they don't fit into the 'master-plan' or engage in a lot of grovelling and bootlicking first. Everyone is impotent when it comes to trying to change Fingolfin's mind. Most of the original Tsu isn't there - oh sure the areas and classes are there, the wars and invasions etc.- but the soul of the place is gone. A new mud is being built over it and you pretty much have to accept that or go someplace else.

If you were a new player on Tsunami you'd still probably think it's one of the best mud's around. It has more features than any other muds you'll ever see: over 50 individual classes with no skill redundancy, player vs player wars every 5 hours like genocide, a dedicated PvP port that runs 24/7 for those that can't get enough, invasions (npcs who flood the land), an arena for 1v1 fights, an ultra-fast server and some of the most powerful mudlib around. The classes themselves are what makes this mud unique; where else could you play a giant worm, or an ooze for instance?

The game now needs new players to start it's new era. My advice to any who feel interested to try it out is not to get too enthusiastic or try to contribute in any way. Just play the game at face value, don't ever question anything you feel is wrong and make sweet noises at the staff a lot about how great they are. What follows after this review is an example of what to expect if you don't take this advice to heart.

Over the years I've looked at maybe 300 muds when things got me down on Tsunami. I've never found one that's matched it in terms of originality. Second best is almost good enough for me now though.. if you're reading this review and think there's a decent mud I should try with unique classes and a feisty atmosphere please put me out of my misery and email me at devyllian@yahoo.com.

Paul Cassell. October 2003.


Entitled: An Example of Wizard/Player Relations
***********************************************

Note  22  Maccus       (Wed Oct  1 06:53:43 2003)  Flaggor
> bugs 676
Bug number:  676
Priority:    3 (High)
Opened by:   maccus
Type:        bug
Assigned to: deleted
-------------
Fri Sep 26 12:13:14 2003 maccus: newbiepops - was equipped with newbiepops in the newbie room at level 6.5. shouldn't these heals be given only to levels 1-5 players under god protection? pls investigate thanks.
Sat Sep 27 15:15:58 2003 flaggor deleted: No. It was specifically coded
that players up TO level 6 get the newbie pops. after 6 you're on your
own.
Sat Sep 27 15:16:12 2003 flaggor: Er up to and including level 6. :)

-------------

Which is evidence of you slacking off on bugs, OR, evidence of you being totally clueless, take your pick.

The newbie room doesn't give eq to players who aren't under god protection because the in game terms 'YOU ARE NOT A NEWBIE ANYMORE' so why should it give newbiepops?

You can read that in HELP NEWBIE in case you missed it.

I don't hold myself to blame for getting frustrated for this. There are lots of budding young wizzes eager to be helpful atm so if you aren't motivated enough to do bugs it would be better if you just assign them elsewhere. Otherwise, it's about time you started treating bugs with
respect, since over the last few months you've deleted a host of bugs with this kind of rhetoric and left them unfixed, eg. the exp bug in the ring of truth, which I bugged twice.

SUGGESTION
Please be consistant in future on mud/player policy.
Please do not assign my bugs to Flaggor anymore.
Please treat bug reports with respect.

The fact I just took a week ban for trying to report an aggro bug for three days while getting idled on and ignored by admin I find utterly contemptible.

Thank you.

> Flaggor tells you: you little shit. nice post ont he suggestion board when you dotn know wtf yuo're talking about
re excuse me?
You reply to Flaggor: excuse me?
> Flaggor tells you: ab out the newbie pops. it WAS intentional that up to level 6 got them.
Flaggor tells you: and you sat there and called me clueless.
Flaggor tells you: smack
re why can't you be a man and just grow up instead of seeing everything as an attack
You reply to Flaggor: why can't you be a man and just grow up instead of seeing everything as an attack
> Flaggor tells you: "evidence of you being totally clueless"
Flaggor tells you: that's not an attack?
re you have deleted a lot of my bugs out of hand
You reply to Flaggor: you have deleted a lot of my bugs out of hand
> re a lot of them valid
You reply to Flaggor: a lot of them valid
> Flaggor tells you: most bugs I delete arent bugs.
re I've had other wizards cover your ass over them
You reply to Flaggor: I've had other wizards cover your ass over them
> re so don't give me this kind of attitude
You reply to Flaggor: so don't give me this kind of attitude
> re in the end the actual 'bug' was irrelevant
You reply to Flaggor: in the end the actual 'bug' was irrelevant
> Flaggor tells you: You need to learn the definition of a bug.
re it's your attitude towards it that needs to be pointed out
You reply to Flaggor: it's your attitude towards it that needs to be pointed out
> re look
You reply to Flaggor: look
> Flaggor tells you: if you bug something because you dont like how it works and I elete it, ti's not a bug.
re if you don't want to do bugs, give them to someone else
You reply to Flaggor: if you don't want to do bugs, give them to someone else
> Flaggor tells you: if another wizards decides they LIKE your idea and implement it.
Flaggor tells you: I never delete something that is actually a bug.
Flaggor tells you: do you know what a BUG is?
re I don't bug ideas with the bug command
You reply to Flaggor: I don't bug ideas with the bug command
> Flaggor tells you: it's code that does something it is not intended to do.
re yeah I do
You reply to Flaggor: yeah I do
> Flaggor tells you: if you dont LIKE how something works, that's not a bug.
Flaggor tells you: that's a suggestion. or an idea.
Flaggor tells you: you, and tons of other players as well, like to bug things they dont like.
re really?
You reply to Flaggor: really?
> Flaggor tells you: I've even had people write "Ok this isnt a bug but..." but they're using the bug command
re how strange you have that attitude
You reply to Flaggor: how strange you have that attitude
> re how many people in your estimation, flaggor?
You reply to Flaggor: how many people in your estimation, flaggor?
> re 50?
You reply to Flaggor: 50?
> re wait we have 40000 players here
You reply to Flaggor: wait we have 40000 players here
> Flaggor tells you: write up bugs that arent bugs?
re it must be more than that
You reply to Flaggor: it must be more than that
> re in YOUR opinion
You reply to Flaggor: in YOUR opinion
> Flaggor tells you: I would say probably about 1/3 of the "bugs" taht come in arent bugs.
re write up bugs that aren't bugs
You reply to Flaggor: write up bugs that aren't bugs
> Flaggor tells you: they're just people not understanding and/or not liking how something works.
re I don't care what other people do
You reply to Flaggor: I don't care what other people do
> Flaggor tells you: for example, the other day someone bugged "This zobmie died without anyone attacking it." yep. it starved to death. people dont UNDERSTAND how thigns work and bug them.
re it's no excuse to slander
You reply to Flaggor: it's no excuse to slander
> re so I would like an apology please
You reply to Flaggor: so I would like an apology please
> re I didn't slander you one bit
Flaggor tells you: YOU are the one who wrote that I was totally clueless
You reply to Flaggor: I didn't slander you one bit
> re yeah
You reply to Flaggor: yeah
> re based on evidence
You reply to Flaggor: based on evidence
> Flaggor tells you: reread your post.
re not based on 'I don't like you'
You reply to Flaggor: not based on 'I don't like you'
> Flaggor tells you: I dont dislike you. I dslike being called totally clueless.
Flaggor tells you: when YOU were the one who was misinformed.
Flaggor tells you: and you wont even admit that you're wrong is the best part
re well if you read the otherboards
You reply to Flaggor: well if you read the otherboards
That person is waiting for input.  Response may take some time.
> re you will see that chaitan had a more mature attitude towards this than you've just had
You reply to Flaggor: you will see that chaitan had a more mature attitude towards this than you've just had
> Jack just killed Moonblade!
Flaggor tells you: nods. I saw that chaitan changed it. that was a decision he made. it wasnt a bug.
re note that chaitan also posted the code was intentionally coded that way
You reply to Flaggor: note that chaitan also posted the code was intentionally coded that way
> Flaggor tells you: yes. he did.
re he changed it on CONSISTANCY grounds
You reply to Flaggor: he changed it on CONSISTANCY grounds
> re so maybe there was a popint to meposting eh?
You reply to Flaggor: so maybe there was a popint to meposting eh?
> Flaggor tells you: the proper thign for you to do woudl e post on teh suggestion board
re i.e the mud is now more consistant
You reply to Flaggor: i.e the mud is now more consistant
> Flaggor tells you: that you felt newbie pops should only go to newbies.
Aristotle sings, 'Is you is, or is you ain't my baby?'
re the proper thing for you to be would be to a) apologise for slandering me
You reply to Flaggor: the proper thing for you to be would be to a) apologise for slandering me
> Flaggor tells you: instead you felt it would be fun to post that I"m utterly clueless. and sicne flaming on the suggestionboard is bad. how'd you like to be board banished?
re and b) try and be a little less hotheaded in the future
You reply to Flaggor: and b) try and be a little less hotheaded in the future
> re go fr it
You reply to Flaggor: go fr it
> re I'm logging this
You reply to Flaggor: I'm logging this
> Flaggor tells you: excuse you, little one, YOU ar ethe one who flung the insults on the board
re no I didn't
You reply to Flaggor: no I didn't
> re you just took them that way
You reply to Flaggor: you just took them that way
> Flaggor tells you: you called an admin wizard totally clueless because you disagreed with their ruling on a bug.
re no ruling
You reply to Flaggor: no ruling
> Flaggor tells you: reread your post. I"m quoting you.
re they are still idling
You reply to Flaggor: they are still idling
> re and ignoriong that it exists
You reply to Flaggor: and ignoriong that it exists
> Flaggor tells you: "evidence of you benig totally clueless" is a direct quote from your post.
Flaggor tells you: so dont tell me I "chose to take it that way"
re you always have a choice, son
You reply to Flaggor: you always have a choice, son
> re how old are you anyway?
You reply to Flaggor: how old are you anyway?
> Flaggor tells you: I think it's ironic that you are the one who flings insults, then claim you're insulted.
re I think you read into things too much
You reply to Flaggor: I think you read into things too much
> re and look too negatively at things also
You reply to Flaggor: and look too negatively at things also
> re enough of this discussion
You reply to Flaggor: enough of this discussion
> re it's not productive
You reply to Flaggor: it's not productive
> re you can post all the hell you want
You reply to Flaggor: you can post all the hell you want
> re but next time you directly slander me like that I will be upset
You reply to Flaggor: but next time you directly slander me like that I will be upset
> You have been imprisoned for 20 minutes.
Reason: Fed up with listening to him rant about me slandering him when he is the one who posted that I was "utterly clueless" on the suggestion board
Flaggor tells you: enjoy your time in jail
re oh I will believe me
You are not allowed to do that in prison.
> l
[Prison]
This room is little more than a dank, dark cell. There doesn't appear to be
any way out nor anything to do.

*************************
End of file.