Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > Bugs and Suggestions
Click here to Register

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
ScourgeX
Member
 
ScourgeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Midwest
Home MUD: Scourge of Time
Posts: 89
ScourgeX is on a distinguished road
Reputation?

How is the reputation supposed to work on this forum?

It seems every time I add or subtract to a member's reputation that I cannot ever add to their reputation again. It tells me I need to spread around reputation before I can add to their reputation. I have added to several people's "reputation", yet I still cannot add to people that I added to when the new forum first went on. It seems soon I won't be able to add to anyone's reputation as I will have modded everone's rep once.

Does something need to be tweaked?
ScourgeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
cratylus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
cratylus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reputation?

I never even noticed this reputation stuff.

Where does one see someone's score?

Did I win?

-Crat
LPMuds.net - Index
cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
ScourgeX
Member
 
ScourgeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Midwest
Home MUD: Scourge of Time
Posts: 89
ScourgeX is on a distinguished road
Re: Reputation?

Click the "User CP" link to see how many points you have. Hover over the little green square to get a very rough idea what someone else's is.
ScourgeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
cratylus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 153
cratylus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Hover over the little green square to get a very rough idea what someone else's is
Hmm. Interesting. That works on windows for me, but not unix.
Seems like maybe it shouldn't be such an obscure feature anyway.

Thanks for the info.

-Crat
LPMuds.net - Index
cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Zeno
Member
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saratoga, NY
Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Posts: 187
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScourgeX View Post
Click the "User CP" link to see how many points you have. Hover over the little green square to get a very rough idea what someone else's is.
Hm, I see nothing about Reputation in User CP. Normally it's there. (I know all about the rep system :P )
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Brody
Moderator
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Carolina
Home MUD: OtherSpace
Posts: 1,584
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Hm, I see nothing about Reputation in User CP. Normally it's there. (I know all about the rep system :P )
Shows up in the main panel of the User CP if you've received any rep at all, along with comments.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:13 AM   #7
Milawe
Senior Member
 
Milawe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Posts: 652
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Reputation?

Wow! Cool feature. I never would have noticed it if you guys hadn't brought it up.

Still, it took me a while to figure out how to add to people's rep. If any of you guys are wondering (or as slow as me), there are three little blocks at the bottom, left-hand side of each person's post. The middle one is how you add or subtract rep!

Coolsauce.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
newbie
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 32
newbie is on a distinguished road
Re: Reputation?

You have to add reputation to another person, before you can add reputation to the person you just 'repped' this is to stop people continualy repping each other. Thus, gaming the system and making it lose its value.

The idea is you "rep" people for good behaviour and quailty posts and that reputation shows a persons standing within the community and as such you can give negative reputation for a person responding poorly.

Now to test it out, "rep" me for my usual and insightfull post!
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Lasher
Administrator
 
Lasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Name: Derek
Location: Orlando
Posts: 349
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
You have to add reputation to another person, before you can add reputation to the person you just 'repped' this is to stop people continualy repping each other. Thus, gaming the system and making it lose its value.

The idea is you "rep" people for good behaviour and quailty posts and that reputation shows a persons standing within the community and as such you can give negative reputation for a person responding poorly.

Now to test it out, "rep" me for my usual and insightfull post!
Rep added, now make sure you can see it in your User CP.

I actually had a note to post an announcement on rep and how it works, seems it found its way out there already.

Oh, while we're in a testing mode, let's make sure that adding rep to admins works ok
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
newbie
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 32
newbie is on a distinguished road
Re: Reputation?

Repped you,

But, Rep comments don't appear to show who gave the reputaiton. I think it'd be worthwhile to know who gave you the rep!
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
Zeno
Member
 
Zeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saratoga, NY
Home MUD: Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
Posts: 187
Zeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zeno Send a message via MSN to Zeno Send a message via Yahoo to Zeno
Re: Reputation?

I believe that's intended, in case someone wants to stay anonymous. I sign all my reps with my name.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
ScourgeX
Member
 
ScourgeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Midwest
Home MUD: Scourge of Time
Posts: 89
ScourgeX is on a distinguished road
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
You have to add reputation to another person, before you can add reputation to the person you just 'repped' this is to stop people continualy repping each other. Thus, gaming the system and making it lose its value.
Repped you once, I've repped several people once. I have not been able to rep anyone twice. If we can only have one rep for someone, I think it would be better to have it a scale of -5 to 5 and we should be able to change the rep we have for a poster. As it stands now, there are people that have a positive rep from me forever and that will never change no matter what they post. Worse, there are a couple that have a "bad rep" from me that will never be able to "redeem" themselves. Had I known it works this way I probably would have hardly used it at all because I wanted to save it for a really good/bad post.
ScourgeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
Lasher
Administrator
 
Lasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Name: Derek
Location: Orlando
Posts: 349
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScourgeX View Post
Repped you once, I've repped several people once. I have not been able to rep anyone twice. If we can only have one rep for someone, I think it would be better to have it a scale of -5 to 5 and we should be able to change the rep we have for a poster. As it stands now, there are people that have a positive rep from me forever and that will never change no matter what they post. Worse, there are a couple that have a "bad rep" from me that will never be able to "redeem" themselves. Had I known it works this way I probably would have hardly used it at all because I wanted to save it for a really good/bad post.
Hadn't really changed reputation settings from the defaults. Just went in to look at some of the options and made a couple of changes.

The default setting for "number of people you must rep before you can rep the same person" was 20, reduced it to 3.

The regular user group can now see who is giving them reputation and associated comments.

As a general guide, you don't have to agree with someone's point of view to give them +rep - is the post constructive,informative,thought provoking,well meaning, etc and overall adds something to the discussion? The idea behind rep is that the community is somewhat self-moderating via the reputation system.

Also, the more rep you have, the more it counts when you give rep to someone else.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
ScourgeX
Member
 
ScourgeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Midwest
Home MUD: Scourge of Time
Posts: 89
ScourgeX is on a distinguished road
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post

The default setting for "number of people you must rep before you can rep the same person" was 20, reduced it to 3.
Thanks you! That seems a lot better.
ScourgeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
Threshold
Legend
 
Threshold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Posts: 1,233
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
The regular user group can now see who is giving them reputation and associated comments.
Right here, this kills the whole system. Who wants to give someone bad rep for a troll when they will just get hit with negative rep right back. And if I give someone positive rep, I want it anonymous as well. I don't want someone thinking I was sucking up or some such silliness.

Frankly, I think forum rep systems in general are a bad idea. It just encourages very petty people with a freakish amount of free time to make dummy accounts and use the system as a whole new way to be a miscreant.

Last edited by Threshold : 08-14-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #16
the_logos
Moderator
 
the_logos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mill Valley, California
Posts: 2,232
the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Right here, this kills the whole system. Who wants to give someone bad rep for a troll when they will just get hit with negative rep right back. And if I give someone positive rep, I want it anonymous as well. I don't want someone thinking I was sucking up or some such silliness.

Frankly, I think forum rep systems in general are a bad idea. It just encourages very petty people with a freakish amount of free time to make dummy accounts and use the system as a whole new way to be a miscreant.
I agree with all of this but does it matter? Unless reputation has some function it's just a number that means as little as post count does. (And given how trivial it is to game the system I would certainly argue against making it meaningful in any way at all....same with post count!)

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
prof1515
Senior Member
 
prof1515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 791
prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_logos View Post
I agree with all of this but does it matter? Unless reputation has some function it's just a number that means as little as post count does. (And given how trivial it is to game the system I would certainly argue against making it meaningful in any way at all....same with post count!)

--matt
I'm in total agreement with Matt. Damn, Dick Cheney's office must be freezing over right now.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.0.0
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014