Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advertising for Players (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Shadows of Isildur: Newbie Review Request. (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2615)

Traithe 09-11-2004 03:22 PM

Angie 09-11-2004 03:53 PM

Just a very minor suggestion (okay, I admit I didn't have the patience to go through the whole character creation process tonight): When it asked me for a name, I picked an elvish name, not realizing I'd be only allowed to play a human or goblin. Either point that out when the game asks for a name, or ask for the name later in the creation process?

Traithe 09-11-2004 04:04 PM

Very nice idea - one that I completely overlooked, naturally. <g>

Even more generally, it'd probably be helpful to have our naming policy displayed right before it prompts you to enter your PC's name as the first step in the process. I think it used to be that way, but when I rewrote the chargen process a year or so ago I forgot to put it back in. Doh.

Thanks,
t.

Traithe 09-15-2004 03:01 PM

Angie -

Just following up to let you know that your suggestion was in fact implemented. Thanks for the input; we're already noticing that our lives suddenly got much easier with the latest batch of new apps. <g>

t.

tofit 09-28-2004 05:46 PM

How newbie friendly is this game from my experience?

I read this post and decided I was interested in playing. So I signed up an account and was prompted to develop my character. Knowing I was going to be playing a gobbie, I thought out carefully how I was going to roleplay. After an hour of thinking I had a good background and personality for my character.

When you start a character, you must fill out a detailed description of your character. A short description, a long one, then a physcial description, and background info.

Well, my goblin was raised in a small tribe of gobbies that lived in a cave. He didnt like being stuck in the cave much so he spent most of his time in the woods. He hunted for the tribe in exchange for Sour wine and good smoke from the shaman. Since goblins are mostly cave dwelling creatures, being in the sun and under the canopy lightened his dark blue hair. He thinks it might have been the herb he was smokin too.

After you fill out your character info, your application is submitted to the MODs to decide if your character is fit for their world.

Well come to find out my character had to be changed because goblins dont have blue hair. Goblins cant have mohawks. I couldnt have tribal markings such as warpaint.

After tring hard to make something I was proud of and still not getting in the game, my goblin started getting very ****ed off.

Now when I picture goblins, for some reason I think of them like punks. If their hair is thick enough, they would have a mohawk. The problem with the goblins in Lord of the Rings is that they were malnourished. My goblin eats good, lots of rotten fermenting fruit, good cooked meat, nice herbs.
My gobbie doesnt like to eat healthy, he just doesnt know. What he doesn't know is the herb he eats has some of the healthiest seeds inside. He just like how he feels afterwards, its like good mead.

This game was designed for playing strictly within Tolkien's stories according to the people I talked to. What I would like to see is an expansion from what has already been written.
What roleplayers like to see is imagination, we want to see a story grow and evolve.

One thing every roleplayer hates is when someone blocks their roleplaying with something, like a silly rule.

dragon master 09-28-2004 07:47 PM

When you chose goblin as a race, it says (you don't even need to look up any help files) pretty clearly that goblins have black hair. Also, *stops and runs away before Traithe can kill him for defending the mud anymore*

(Weren't you supposed to e-mail Traithe instead of posting though?)

Kinnith 09-28-2004 07:58 PM

From what I read he had requested it, but the fact remains that if a newbie request is made, shouldnt everyone be aware of the fact of how that person felt as being the newbie?

I understand the main point of the other loyal players getting defensive, and public posts may help others come out and say what is on their mind, I tend to see players not say anything at all, untill the subject is brought up, Which is quite alot.

dragon master 09-28-2004 10:28 PM

-Deleted-

tofit 09-28-2004 11:35 PM

Well, one does not need hair gel to get their hair to stick up.
Natural hair oil can build up without modern shampoo. If you ever went a few days without washing your hair you might notice that it sticks in whatever position you put it in.

One does not need a modern product to make their hair stick up. As plants can be milked for their sticky substances, im sure a goblin might stumble on a way to make his hair stick up.

Traithe 09-28-2004 11:52 PM

tofit 09-29-2004 01:54 PM

Hey Traithe......
You probally understand I really ment no offense. I think your game has the potential for being a pay game, theres several ways you could tax players.

I use to play Dragon Realms, the main thing that interested me in that game is the experience system. Your character learns skills after he practices them. The rate he practices them determines on how hard he ponders the skill. It felt like I was constantly earning something.