Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   looking for a well established mud (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1307)

Holdan 06-18-2006 12:00 AM

Does anyone know of a mud like this?

Preferably RP oriented if not enforced, with pvp allowed. I prefer something along the lines of Accursed Lands or Dartmud.

Ytrewtsu 06-18-2006 01:52 PM

telnet: tharel.net port 5005

Its a Rom 2.4b6 based mud with over 7 years of changes. Roleplay is strongly encouraged, enforced if you join player killing. We would love to have you as a player. The website has a full list of features and a ton of background information.

Thanks,
Ytrewtsu

prof1515 06-18-2006 02:35 PM

Adventures Unlimited is an "Oriental/Samuri styling" MUD?  Last time I checked, it relied on stock fantasy elements like elves and stuff.  It's also not "RP oriented or enforced" as the poster requested.  Your post says "roleplay is strongly encouraged" and your website describes it as "roleplay encouraged (not required)".  "Encouraged" does not mean the same thing as "enforced" despite both starting with an E and N.  Even if there are situations where it is required, that's not what the guy asked for.

It'd be nice if someone could post a request and didn't get responses from MUDs that don't even meet two of three requirements they specified.  Honestly, if your own game doesn't meet the qualifications of someone's request, point them toward a MUD that does.  Be sincere. Don't just offer something in response that someone didn't ask about.  Would you like it if you went to a shoe store and wanted to buy a pair of men's size 10 tennis shoes and the clerk instead started suggesting a pair of women's size 6 sandals?  Probably not.

In response to the original poster, I don't think such a game exists.  I checked both TMS and TMC and didn't come up with anything that meets your requirements.  Sorry.

Take care,

Jason

Brody 06-18-2006 03:35 PM

I'd counter that the question is a little too broad in its scope, and that might be adding to the problem. Does the OP want *automated* PvP, plus a focus on RP? Or does the OP want the option of fighting another player with the help of a referee, which is an option on quite a few games that have an RP focus?

Holdan 06-18-2006 05:46 PM

I figured saying that a 'Dartmud' type mud would be explanation enough, but I guess not as many people know about dartmud as I had thought.

Dartmud has a world will full pvp, and permadeath. Players enforce the rules and the law of the land, not the imms. PvP is automated, but not without consequence. If you kill a player, you will answer to someone.

Is that more helpful?

BrettH 06-18-2006 08:19 PM

Sorry about this double post. It was made in error. Move on to the next one.

---Brett

BrettH 06-18-2006 08:20 PM

Unwritten Legends is roleplay required, and has an entire continent called Vash that is a combination of Chinese, (mostly) Japanese, and Indian cultures depending upon the region.

There are samurai, Daimyo, etc. and gaijin are heavily ostracized there.

PvP exists but must have a roleplayed basis for it, and the game has been around for about ten years.

Sound close enough?

---Brett

Ytrewtsu 06-19-2006 10:52 AM

Actually there is no need to flame Jason - I missed the ... part of the subject line and it was my mistake.  One thing I would say to you though, in my opinion your tone was pretty much wholly unnecessary.   Also I would argue that my mud is rp oriented.... and that being rp oriented is not necessarily enforced and that is what I replied to.  

My mistake.
Ytrewtsu

prof1515 06-19-2006 12:31 PM

My apologies if my tone was irate.  My displeasure wasn't soley directed at you even if your's was what prompted a post regarding this (and I thank you for your honesty in admitting a mistake, I respect that as it's hard to come by).  All too often someone posts about a type of MUD and gets responses from MUDs which don't meet the person's specifications, those responding are more concentrated on hocking their MUD than they are helping the person find what they wanted in the first place.

Like Brody said, the original post was vague which could lead to confusion.  I just wish the MU* community was more organized and developed some commonly-accepted standards so confusion and disagreement over terms, be it "RP enforced" or "free to play" or what-have-you wouldn't occur.  There's plenty of opportunity given sites like TMS and TMC exist, but sadly those who are in a position to do so choose not to organize such an effort.  This lack of leadership in the community is a problem that I feel really hurts the overall nature of text-based gaming.

Take care,

Jason

Clifton 06-19-2006 01:52 PM

Check out abandoned realms. () It's roleplay enforced, dunno if you'll like that at all. it has a complex pk system, but also Player controlled, you have to run, track, etc.. Anyway, that system prides itself on brains over brawn.

Brody 06-19-2006 03:55 PM

I wouldn't say it's a lack of leadership, really. We've had leaders, or people who sought to lead, but we haven't always had a strong willingness in the community to *follow*. (It's why you see more people starting their own games rather than trying to fix their wagon to an existing game.)

Elora 06-20-2006 02:58 AM

Hola!

So, judging by your two posts you are looking for an RP-enforced mud with perma-death, PK and if possible an oriental theme? Since you didn't mention the theme in your second post, I'm going to assume that it is secondary, compared to the other elements mentioned.

I can't off-hand think of a MUD that fits all of those requirements, but I think you should have a look at Armageddon - they are likely who comes closest to your requirements. I have it on good authority that the mud is addictive and incredibly intense, but I have unfortunately no personal experience with it.

I do know that it is a roleplay-enforced mud with unrestricted PK, perma-death and has a decent playerbase. ,    ginka.armageddon.org:4050

Another option is Harshlands. This is also a roleplay intensive mud with extensive PK and perma-death. muddled.harshlands.net:5555 ,

BrettH 06-20-2006 01:50 PM

I forgot to mention. Unwritten Legends will be introducing perma-death once it's out of the testing phase.

Which means it will, at that point, fill all of your listed requirements.

---Brett

Luvan 06-21-2006 11:02 AM

Unwritten Legends. Just as Brett said, it has an entire continent that you would love. It meets all of your requirements except permanent death, and that is just till it is out of testing. My characters where always more on the western continent, but from what I understand and learned from people that would travel over from vash is that becoming a samurai is difficult. It is a highly honored title. Not sure how that all works though.

(Also when I say continent, I do not mean some small little area, the place is huge)

I think it is very nice how you can have your oriental style character and if you ever want some adventure or just get bored with what you are doing over there, you can travel to the western continent and cities..and I dont know, mabe your character can experience culture shock? Hehe My characters traveled between the two alot.