Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Roleplaying and Storytelling (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Improving Everyone's RP (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658)

Enzo 09-16-2002 04:27 PM

Always stealing people's ideas isn't always the best, so now I'm trying to figure out ways to improve my RP. If people wants to see a sample of my stories, i could post one of two here, but I'm sort of just looking for ways to make it more exciting. Stories can be fun, but whe you write a lot, people might get tired of the same thing over and over again. Also, in face2face RP, you always look for new things to do or say.

What mistakes/roleplay skills people really need to improve?

TG_Hammar 09-16-2002 05:41 PM

Yev 09-16-2002 06:44 PM

In general, it depends on where you are at, I would think. As at each place I think there is a certain way of RP. At some places there is a non-written rule that promotes emote/social/pose order, at others there are preference for different things.

A couple bits of general advice (Hopefully others may add to this)

1)Watch and learn: This does /not/ mean to go somewhere and do nothing while others RP. This does mean to see some more experienced RPers where you are at RP while you do at the same time. You can learn quite a bit from this, it also shows you how things are done where you are at. At some places, one may RP wearing their coded clothes. At another place, clothes may be completely RPable.

2)Make mistakes: Others say this quite often, and I agree, making both IC and OOC mistakes can help you learn. IC ones make it seem so that your character is not immortal.

3)Do not try to be God: This one need clarified. It also goes along with Number 2. Do not try to get powers your character normally couldn't have, or do not try to overstep your reasonable IC statistics just to be able to win in code. This does not mean your /character/ can not think they are a God of sorts (I do have a character like this, one of my favorites.) However, do not OOCly think this, it gives off an air of elitism that can really discourage newer and older players alike.

4)Listen to others: If someone has some advice, take it. This can improve your RP quite a bit. I think old and new players can learn from this.

5)And last of all on this part of this list... the obvious one: HAVE FUN! If you aren't enjoying RP one day, go ahead, disconnect, it won't be the end of the world.

Brody 09-16-2002 06:45 PM

Honestly, I complain far more often on the game I run that there aren't enough people playing proper nobility - even the people who claim to come from noble backgrounds often turn commoner because it's more politically correct.

Playing a noble is, in many ways, fraught with the same perils as playing a villain: You aren't popular with the "little people," you're viewed as a snob, and plotted against by other snobs just like you.

I don't think the kind of character you choose to play determines how "serious" you are as a roleplayer. It's how you approach *any* character you choose to play, and whether you invest in them a feeling of multiple facets. If you're going to play a villain, don't just snicker and twirl your mustache all the time. Have likes and dislikes. Have trusted confidantes. Be a real person, who believes in what they're doing.

Some other pitfalls that aspiring roleplayers should avoid:

- Don't powerpose. That means don't do things like: Bob throws a glass of water in Ted's face. In most games, unless there's an automated code system that takes into account Bob's throwing skill and Ted's ability to dodge, you should be a good sport and simply pose TRYING to throw the water in Ted's face.
- Don't speedwalk. This is especially important in RP enforced games. It's a problem when you see newbies zooming around on "explorer" mode, passing through crowded rooms several times while getting the lay of the land - rather than actually stopping to interact and RP with other players.
- Avoid metaposing. This is a personal preference thing, which is why I don't call it a "don't," and simply recommend avoiding it. But, this involves interjecting a character's internal dialogue and thoughts into a pose. One way this is abused - and why I prefer to avoid it - is the personal attack on another character that prevents the other character from responding in kind. Here's an example: Bob just shakes his head as he stares at Ted, who is clearly an idiot. This leaves Ted without any recourse to defend himself. It's a cheap shot.

Others will come as I think of them.

Alajha 09-16-2002 06:46 PM

*Annabelle waves to Hammar*
I myself think that people should always be more creative in entrances. "Susie walks into the square," is so overdone.
As well, don't put actions/clothing into your description, unless your character permanently has a smile and always wears clogs.
Those are my main pet peeves.

Alajha 09-16-2002 06:48 PM

AND DON'T EVER, EVER USE JUST SAYS! GAH!
THAT is my biggest pet peeve... unless your character automatically freezes and is totally static while speaking...

TG_Hammar 09-16-2002 07:27 PM

I do not suggest that those who do play nobility, or uber-warriors are not excellent RPers, but where I come from, the only players who do have alts with a more subtle background, are excellent RPers who know what they are about.

Sanvean 09-16-2002 08:26 PM

Know the world you're roleplaying in. Take the time to visualize it, and if there's docs - read them. We get people who are great players sometimes, but because they haven't taken the time to acquaint themselves with the background of the game, they do silly and inappropriate things.

That's my biggest suggestion.

Yev 09-16-2002 10:47 PM

Jenred 09-17-2002 02:09 PM

This is funny. I JUST posted a topic like this on my major MUD's ingame boards... and the some of the same responses came up, but even more people quietly discussed it to me, and I figured Id add it in here.

First off you covered what most people thought, and that was to get over the cliche characters, (secretly noble birth, honorable knight fighting for his family, entire family dead.) But what was also discussed is the reason these keep coming up, new people to mudding often find it more comfortable to play a role they know well, typically the ones listed by people. This allows them to know what they are doing without entering into some complex persona that usually people dont even know about themselves.

Its a good learning tool, if a little bit drab and overused by those that they encounter.

Another Role-playing mistake that comes up is 'Assumptive Emotes/Poses' where they totally take control of your character with no chance of any retaliation.
(i.e.- this vampire character woman just randomly grabs and sucks people's blood, all in like one emote- Person grabs you by the throat and slams her fangs into your neck.)
These types of emotes ruin the fun for anyone watching or participating because they ASSUME the person will do nothing, or is unable to do anything. People need to learn when to take hits and when to miss. Not everyone can succeed in everything.

Well anyways, those were some topics I thought would fit in the post, enjoy.

Yev 09-18-2002 08:47 PM

Something else I like, the place I RP at has a place in the online forum for things such as Diary entries, which others can read for their OOC entertainment (much like the site's logs.) What does this have to do with anything? Enough, it gives an oppurtunity to explore a character in ways other than RP.

Sometimes people may ask why one would do this... think about it, is your character talking to someone 24/7 or whenever you are IC? No. However, I don't find much fun RPing when I'm the only one around either. So I like this way to get my characters' thoughts straightened out.

Moral of the story? Know your character, and place some effort into how they /think./ Knowing a worldview is incredibly important.

Enzo 09-20-2002 06:17 PM

TPE has a note section called "Stories" where people can post diary entries or just Stories. I used to do journal things, but they got boring for me, so I started writing normal stories. People also post them in an "IC" forum. This just allows people to do which they feel is more fun. Normal, or diary.

Khan 09-21-2002 04:45 PM

Sapphar 09-23-2002 02:29 PM

Ummm.. *blink* not to be blunt, but what you just said is one of my pet peeves with RP. The idea that certain personality traits belong with certain types of characters. I have a nice, prudish character who is not noble, not good, not kind, not sweet, and is considered evil by some of the other characters who know her. But she’ll blush, be shy, and get out of any situation that is flirtatious or physically suggestive.

“Good” characters can have - tempers, foul language, a liking for flirtation, attitude, selfish traits or moments, etc. They can be - controlling, aggressive, dominate, sexy, vengeful, etc.
“Evil” characters can have - shy tendencies, quiet voices, demure dress, polite manners, respect for nobles, etc. They can be - patient, accepting, helpful, talk-a-tive, friendly, engaging, etc.

Characters become two dimensional when you assume certain traits must go with certain overall character types. Personally, I hate the classification of good and evil anyway, as I think most characters have both “good” traits to them and “evil” and it all depends on who is defining good and evil in the first place. But don’t start saying you have to be good to be a prude or evil to “play the field”.

Few quick examples:

A character who seeks to help the weak to become self sufficient. A nice, “good” goal. She could be a flirtatious young woman with a hell of an attitude who pushes head first into any situation once she knows what she’s doing, who holds a grudge if someone hurts another person who is weak, and who loses her temper whenever she sees people being trod upon. She is “good” in intentions, but like anyone else, has behavior traits that could be seen as flaws even when they are always aimed at supporting the weak.

A character who is determined to have as much power, control, and money as possible no matter what the cost to anyone else. A selfish, “evil” character. She could be demure and quiet. She could be incredibly polite to those in positions of power and patient with those who might someday help her. She could be friendly and engaging to get information out of people. She could be shy about talking about herself to prevent folks from learning about who she is. She is selfish and “evil” in intentions, but hides it all through perfect behavior.

Sapphar

Khan 09-24-2002 05:58 AM

I didn't say that certain personality types apply to good or evil. I used an evil character as an example. I could have just as easily used a good character. My idea was stressed in consistency of roleplay.

Consider you are in the middle of a very heated flirtatious moment and the character you are interacting with has just done something that most people would think as pretty bold and aggressive and then blushes and becomes shy the next moment over something completely not deserving of the change in personality (logically). It's like a weird bump, inconsistency.

I don't mind blunt. We all have pet peeves.

Jazuela 09-24-2002 07:33 AM

And then there's the "consistently inconsistent" types, such as Fornis, the queen from Richard Adam's "Maia."

She was deliberately inconsistent, her methodology known only to herself, for the express purpose of confusing the masses and giving her an aura of power she might not have exuded otherwise.

The trick to that is, you have to actually be MORE in control of your character's every thought than if you played a consistent personality. Every arched eyebrow, every walk to the park, every morsel you eat - and even so far as -how- you eat it - has to be carefully planned in advance. It's my opinion that the "consistently inconsistent" personality type is the most difficult to play.

But the key to all roleplay, in my opinion, is consistency. To make your character believable in the eyes of other players, there's absolutely no way around it. If you give your character a flaw, it has to be played flawlessly, seamlessly, without giving any indication of effort.

Spontaneously played "perfect" roleplaying is nearly impossible to find, so don't sweat it if you mess up, and don't lose sleep trying to figure out how to do it. Chances are, it won't happen anyway. Expect your character to get into situations that *you* have no idea how to get him out of. In fact, embrace those moments and learn from them. Your own experiences are your best teachers.