Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Coding (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Visual BASIC.NET Codebase??? (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5557)

gmaker56 05-26-2009 10:17 AM

Visual BASIC.NET Codebase???

Hi, I'm new to the forums.

Are there any codebases out there in Visual BASIC.NET? (Or any kind of BASIC). I have a little bit of experience in BASIC and I don't want to have to learn a brand new language (Eg: C++). Also, I don't have near the experience in any language to prgram my own codebase, I would just like a BASIC codebase because I would be able to work around in it.

Thank you!

Zeno 05-26-2009 11:26 AM

Re: Visual BASIC.NET Codebase???

but not a codebase. I would not recommend it either.

gmaker56 05-26-2009 06:48 PM

Thanks a lot for your comment! It's a shame, I can't find (duh, thats why I'm here) a VB.NET codebase as well.

Well then, what codebase out there is good to start with? (Sorry, may be the wrong place to ask.) Also, I've heard a lot about liences and legal stuff like that, is there a codebase that will allow me to host my game for free and also have money involved (from the players) to keep the game online? Is there any codebases that are open source?

Thank you!

Zeno 05-26-2009 10:44 PM

Read over this:
I would recommend any codebase you are familiar with.

I've never seen a codebase that disallowed this.

If you're hosting the game for ree, why is money needed to keep it online? Regardless, codebases like Smaug/Circle prohibit selling in-game stuff for money (like giving out rewards for donations) and just donations is a bit of a grey area.

Most if not all are open source.

gmaker56 05-27-2009 10:58 AM

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I ment was, do I have to pay the person who made the codebase to host my game I made with it? Sorry about that!

Also, if I ever did do a "commerial" MUD then I would need some money to keep the game running--how are the ways now I can get monwy from players from my game with another codebase? (Besides donations)

Thank you!

Zeno 05-27-2009 11:07 AM

Typically no payment is needed to use a codebase. I've never seen a codebase like that, but I suppose one could exist out there.

If you do a commerial MUD, then a codebase like Smaug/Diku/etc are out of the question. I'm not really familiar with other licenses out there like for LPC or something.

KaVir 05-27-2009 11:15 AM

Both of the above depend on the licence of the codebase you're using. In my experience, the licences which explicitly allow commercial use usually have some sort of usage fee, while those intended for non-commercial use usually don't. There are some exceptions though, such as JavaMud and certain barebones codebases (eg SocketMUD).

gmaker56 05-27-2009 11:20 AM

Oh okay, thanks for all your comments!