Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   make a poll forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1070)

Xanferious 08-10-2002 11:20 PM

this section of the forum is realy getting spammed with all these polls, i think its time to create a new section of the forums Just For Polls, and ban all the polls from every other section.

Orion Elder 08-11-2002 01:41 AM

A simpler solution, that would keep polls in the forums where they belong, and keep the poll noise down is to set it so only mods can place polls, and if you want a poll placed you have to suggest it. If the mod feels it is appropriate, so be it.

That keeps from having polls that could be relevant from being shunted to a forum no one will care to check.

Seraph 08-11-2002 06:40 AM

Thinking from an ease of reading point of view, having a separate forum for polls would defeat the purpose of having the other forums.

When you post a poll that has something to do with building, you post it in the Building section, so when people visit to ask or reply to questions its in there for them to vote on.

If there was a forum specifically for polls, I think there would be a decrease in the number of votes.

Molly 08-11-2002 07:31 AM

I support either of the suggestions from Xanferious or Orion, as long as the polls are taken out from the normal boards.

Personally I think they are spammy and mostly meaningless, because of the limited options you get in a poll. (In many cases you'd like to click all the choices - or none, so what's the use of the poll then?)

In the few cases when a poll thread actually has offered something of interest to the reader, it has been because of the verbal comments posted to it. And even in those cases the thread most likely had got more interesting input as a 'normal' thread, since I think many posters - like myself - avoid reading poll threads.

I'd really prefer it if polls were taken out completely, they just clutter up the main page and makes it harder to find the latest posts.

Xanferious 08-11-2002 08:39 AM

i know what you mean molly, i get back from my vaction and all i see in the tavern is polls... I would also go with Orions idea it doesnt matter to me tho its just that polls are cluttering the tavern.

Wenlin 08-11-2002 10:23 AM

Unless they have to do with the subject, like maybe "Which is the funniest mud prank?" and you list some examples in the Humor Forum, or maybe a poll in the coders forum asking the general difficulty of what you're trying to code or something (bad example), then yeah, a 'completely random polls' forum would be awesome, as I like answering the polls, but don't really like having to dig to get to the semi-smart topics in the tavern.

EDIT:

Look at that, someone made a poll in the builder's forum about...guess what, building! So add a poll forum to take the polls out of the tavern, but don't restrict it otherwise.

Xanferious 08-23-2002 04:08 PM

! dont forget this poll!

Santrilla 09-07-2002 05:59 AM

I disagree, Molly. Admittedly, one of the attractions of polls is the witty replies to them, but I also find it interesting to see how people react to questions. Polls can be a good way of discerning information from a majority.

A poll forum would be good, but Seraph has a point. There could be a forum designed for meaningless polls, and polls that are related to the topic could be put in their respective forums. Also, being made to request for a poll would prevent pointless ones from popping up.

Santa

Enzo 09-07-2002 11:40 PM

I vote yes, because I like the idea more then I don't. The thing about it though it that people will need to be speific on what type of poll it is. For example: Polls: Roleplay: How do I RP?

Ingham 09-08-2002 01:23 PM

A seperate poll forum is the worst idea I have ever heard, apart from this idea of getting a girlfriend, which is prolly worse...