Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sport Orineted MUDs (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587)

Enzo 02-22-2003 02:10 AM

Cayn 02-22-2003 04:45 AM

No offense, but don't we get enough of crotch grabbing, grunting, and generally being useless sports already? I get 5 different 24/7 sports channels on t.v. I can't imagine anyone wanting to play a mud based on sports.

~cayn~

Molly 02-22-2003 09:37 AM

An entire mud based on sports would be too much, I feel.
Except for the more blatant sport idiots, and they'd probably be too busy either watching it on TV or performing themselves to bother with a mud.

Although god knows there would be plenty of material for roleplay; not only the training and competition, but also all the backstage intrigue, doping, cheating, sleeping around with the trainer etc...

An entire Mud, no - but the odd zone, yes.  That could be quite interesting as an alternative to the usuall mob bashing. We actually have had a Golf course zone on our mud for ages, built by a kid who used to be a caddy on the course portrayed, so he had quite a good background knowledge.

The zone was not bad, but pretty static, so currently one of my top Builders is revamping it completely, exchanging all the room descs for more or less interactive scripts. When she's finished with it, you are going to score differently depending on what club you use in different situations, eventually slice the ball and land in the rough or a sand bunker, and so on. And if you do the entire 18 holes below par, they'll be a hunk of reward for you...

I kinda like the concept.

OnyxFlame 02-22-2003 12:07 PM

Enzo 02-23-2003 03:08 AM

OK, so basically it's just a MUD totally devoted to doing sports. What if someone built kinda a sub-mud sort of thing that could travel around the muds. The Camelot Knights play a game of "off with his head" at the neighboring castle. I don't really know if that would work.

Like a temporary thing where someone can play in a game, then it's shuffled to a different sport, and it just goes in a cycle maybe?

Enzo 02-23-2003 03:10 AM

And just to add on that...

If probably wouldn't be some kind of code system for that. It would be someone built the basketball court and you just RP on it, and the RPexp (however the imp set it up) would determine how good you are.

Nemene 02-23-2003 07:51 AM

There is a (kind of) sport on one of the MUDs that I play. It's called Deathz Cup (there's a whole series of them been played). Basically, the referee calls out a creature and the first one to die to that monster wins that round (out of 10 rounds). It's a laugh and the top three get quite big money prizes.

On a more serious note, a sports based MUD could be interesting. I would probably try it out to see what it's like.

The Vorpal Tribble 02-23-2003 11:34 AM

Ermmm... so pretty much a hack and slash with mercy on?

Vesper 02-24-2003 10:10 AM

To be honest, I think a wrestling mud could work, and have always wanted to create one...if I knew what the #### I was doing, heh.

Something like one might see on the WWE today. Matches could be like PK....classes could be different types of wrestlers (cruiserweight, brawler, technical, etc...)...and naturally, their skills (dare I say spells) would be the different barrage of moves each class has.

Backstage stuff, interview segments, out-of-arena stuff, at the gym, hotel, anything...

Though the wrestling craze that picked up again in the late 90's has died back down, the thought of making one into a mud still seems to be pretty original...and would probably do fairly well.

Threshold 03-02-2003 09:45 PM

A mud that was totally based on sports might be a fun novelty if it was designed like some sort of very detailed Fantasy Football type mud.

I think it would be hard to make a 100% sports mud that could attract the amount of playing time other types of muds experience.

Wenlin 03-04-2003 11:06 PM

It's a good idea, but you just can't do certain things with a MUD.

That's what Starcraft maps are for.