Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Break Room (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Clog Dancing! (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4858)

Threshold 04-14-2008 03:44 AM

Clog Dancing!

In Mike Rozak's he wrote:

I think it is a little early for the clog dancing comparisons, since a lot of text mud operators here frequently score a lot of new players from graphical MMOs. Mike, I don't know what your actual playing history is as far as MUDs, but they offer a very different gaming experience from graphical MMOs. I actually think it is getting to the point where they are no longer direct competitors.

I will use Threshold RPG as an example. 2004 was probably our peak year in terms of total usage. We had a small but noticeable decline in both 2005 and 2006. But in 2007 we experienced growth that made up for most of 2006's decline, and so far 2008 is continuing in that direction. If it continues, either 2008 or 2009 will be a *NEW* peak. Considering the fact that Threshold is a 12 year old game, I think the possibility of hitting a new peak after experiencing a decline is pretty amazing.

Now, I am not about to say that this is the Golden Age of MUDs and they are going to rise up and have more total players than WoW and its ilk combined. But what I do see is that MUDs are actually starting to reap a little benefit from the overall growth of online gaming, and the failure (and/or unwillingness) of graphical games to meet ALL of gamers' needs. This presents an opportunity for MUDs that I think should be, and can be, taken advantage of.

Voidrider 04-14-2008 08:31 AM

Re: Are MUDs the clog dancing of online gaming?

Man, I am inspired...

I am totally heading right to my computer when I get home and adding a /clogdance social to my mud! Heck, a Clogdancer class might even work...

Mabus 04-14-2008 12:06 PM

Bo Zimmerman, creater of CoffeeMud, beat you to it years ago:

Song : Clog Dance
Available: Bard(6)
Use Cost : Movement (6)
Quality : Malicious
Targets : Creatures
Range : Touch - Range 2
Commands : DANCE, DA
Usage : DANCE CLOG
Example : dance clog
This loud, thumping folk dance will make the prancer's enemies clumsy in
combat.

Voidrider 04-14-2008 12:13 PM

Ooh, please tell me there is an Electric Slide skill somewhere too...

I might have to dust off the word processor and make a new pen & paper game called Dance Wars...hmm...

/emote does the Hustle.

(inflicts 500 physical aoe damage)

/emote does the Travolta "point" .

(finishing move inflicts 1000 lethal autocrit damage)

*successful finishing move illuminates area with flashing disco lights!*

(perform save vs. bedazzlement)