Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mud Client for Facebook (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4675)

bridgette 11-21-2007 07:43 AM

Mud Client for Facebook

Does anyone know of a mud client application that can run inside facebook?

I think it would be great if something like that existed - it would be such a nice place to promote the existence of muds if there existed a nice-looking telnet client that players could run from within facebook.

Anybody interested in building something like that? I have no idea how facebook apps work, otherwise I would probably have tried something like that myself...

Bridgette

Mabus 11-22-2007 01:37 AM

Re: Mud Client for Facebook

You could link a Java Telnet on the same server as a MUD to a Facebook application, but a link would make about as much sense (and take less time).

As to "How to Build a Facebook Application", they have an example .

bridgette 11-22-2007 01:43 AM

Cool! Thanks for the link!

aegora 11-23-2007 10:26 AM

Lte us know if you come up with something fancy!

medwebinc 07-31-2008 01:18 PM

If you have facebook and will like to join to a mud go to this app... Is the famous Dark Eve World Mud but now in Facebook :)

Fern 08-02-2008 06:44 AM

Eeenteresting. Tried to login, using Safari. I got a teensy window; I got a login of a castle; beyond that, no Java joy before things froze. :(

I'll try again, though, if I can get more than a postage stamp to type in.

Zeno 09-24-2009 02:20 PM

I'm also interesting in a telnet Facebook app, hmm.

Hephos 09-24-2009 04:11 PM

We're working on one :D

Saffire 09-24-2009 05:53 PM

I don't think most people posting here will be able to afford to pay $5000 a month for it :P

Zeno 09-24-2009 11:35 PM

What's $5000/month?

I don't think it costs anything to create a Facebook app. Especially since you can host the app on an external site.

Saffire 09-25-2009 01:10 AM

Just a little tongue-in-cheek comment about the cost of one of Mythicscape's other applications. Nothing to see here.

Hephos 09-25-2009 02:30 AM

Our "other" application is 149 euro per YEAR.

No, we're not going to sell any facebook apps. It is one we're making for Sharune MUD. Not sure if it will be able to run for other muds. Perhaps with some fiddling with code.

Zeno 09-25-2009 03:29 PM

Ah right, thought you were talking to me. :P

I've got my MUD running as a Facebook app now using FMud. It's not too hard actually, it's an iFrame.

Hephos 09-25-2009 03:35 PM

Yeah you can just make it a gateway into your mud.

I'd like the game to act as a facebook server as well, and post data about things in the game.

Did some mud do this? Can't remember now, but i think i've seen some mud doing just that. Anyone know?

KaVir 09-25-2009 05:27 PM

I've seen a few muds provide a "who list" via their website. I don't know how others have done it, but GW2 uses FastCGI (i.e., the mud itself generates webpages on the fly). Technically I suppose I could get the mud to generate an entire JavaScript client, and embed the lot.

dentin 09-26-2009 09:18 AM

Alter Aeon has exported all kinds of crazy information via the web for years. The http interface is part of the server code, and there's translation layers as appropriate to handle color and all that. The upshot is that all the exported data is really real-time; for example a store item listing is what's actually there in the game at the moment you requested it. We also export a handful of things as XML for developers, but that interface so far isn't heavily used.

The web interface address is at dentinmud.org port 8080 () if you want to browse around and take a look at what we've got implemented.

-dentin

MudMann 09-29-2009 08:17 AM

I am not sure if a mud client for facebook would lend itself to the site. Certainly a great way of promoting them via groups etc... but a link to a webpage with a java client would be far easier than a client specially written.

Most of the games within Facebook are fickle anyway, quick visit, have a play, move on till tomorrow. MUD's are generally immersive and dont lend themselves to 10 mins play here or there.

Anjanas 09-29-2009 02:02 PM

I use facebook and agree. The games there are simple and in and out. I don't think anyone of facebook would take the time to play a mud in between updating eachother on daily activities.:)

Splork 10-15-2009 05:52 AM

I created a facebook app about a year ago for SlothMUD and it has been quite successful. On average, I would say we attract maybe 25-50 people from this site per month and manage to keep about one or two.

It may not seem like huge numbers but for a mud, these days, Ill take it.