Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Announcements (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   RPI Engine Now Available! (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3659)

Traithe 12-11-2004 03:25 AM

I have released the version of our game's player port sourcecode current as of December 2004 to the public. This represents a ton of effort on my part over the past three years, so I'm hoping someone else will get some use out of this thing!

It's a very nearly rock-solid codebase, geared specifically toward creating roleplay-enforced MUDs. It contains a number of quite advanced features, such as an account-based login system, a fully-functional mySQL foundation, skills-based advancement, wounds-based combat, player literacy, a deep crafting system, and so forth.

For more information, and to download the package that will allow you to set up and run the engine, click .

Enjoy, and good luck! Do let me know if you decide to use it for a project.

ashp 12-11-2004 10:32 AM

Eagleon 12-11-2004 11:30 AM

Traithe 12-11-2004 07:15 PM

Steel Leopard 12-14-2004 08:00 AM

Aminaka 12-14-2004 09:28 AM

Yes, a genuinely magnanimous gesture that will be of great benefit to those of us who seek choices for our projects.

Thanks.

Traithe 12-14-2004 03:14 PM

Just an update -

A fellow developer was kind enough to point out some structuring flaws in our mysql routines that could theoretically allow for sql injection attacks. The good news is that, as far as I've been able to test, the rest of the code's implementation makes them difficult if not impossible to execute, and further, that on any sanely-configured mysql server (i.e. operating with a mysql username granted ONLY those privileges absolutely necessary to deal with the game's database [SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, ALTER, DROP, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting] and with proper limited permission settings on the mysqld user itself) these things don't seem capable of actually inflicting any damage. That said, I've taken it under advisement and am in the process of completely restructuring the query system to remedy this issue, but given the heavy integration of the system into the MUD as a whole it is quite a bit of work.

I expect to have it all finished and committed to the public release probably by tomorrow morning. Until then, I wouldn't advise making many changes to any copies of the code you've already got, as you're strongly advised to download the fixed version I'll be making available and merging the two may be a bit of a pain.

Since our website requires you to be logged in with your game account in order to download the server, I've got everyone's email addresses on file (I'm glad I anticipated something like this, heh), so I'll be sending out an email when the updated server's available for download.

Thanks!

Traithe 12-15-2004 04:56 AM