Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Coding (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   homes (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265)

Angel 09-18-2002 12:43 PM

Interesting idea to let the players buy their own homes and edit the descriptions for the rooms. Is there already a snippet for this or is it something that no one has figured out how to do?
Angel

Blobule 09-18-2002 01:03 PM

I plan on adding residence to my MUD sometime next year.
To facilitate the users adding their own descriptions I
intend to provide 2 interfaces. The first will be in-game
where they can submit a letter to a property manager mob,
who will be more than happy to change the desc or name for
a fee. The second will be a web interface, which will
simplify the process. That's next year though, first I gotta
finish my easyact engine rewrite and XML skills, spells, and
races :)

Dulan 09-18-2002 01:53 PM

......is that an advert, or a response Blobule? It sure sounds like the former, and this board is NOT meant for advertisements.

Angel: I know of no snippets of this sort. Good luck finding any - it isn't particularly hard to code, but it does take some knowhow of the codebase.

The easiest way would be to add a 'string'-esque (char * for your base?) variable to a room, store the players name in there, and use simple ifcheck sequences from there. Of course, you may also want to make an integer variable in the player data, and store the vnum of their house in there for the property mob/XML stuff that you spoke of. Or a room pointer. (I'd personally go with the integer - it's easier to debug for most new people. But, the pointer would be easier to deal with.)

-D

smadronia 09-18-2002 07:14 PM

I haven't seen a snippet for this, although my fiancee found something that allowed players to buy items for their houses. He says the snippet's on Kyndig he thinks.

We have the option of buying houses, but currently it's all manual. The player purchases a house by giving us the money and a description, and we set it up. We plan on having a listing of pre-made items they'll be able to purchase for their house, to make life easier on us.

You could do it as a specific mobile though, that would take the player's money and set up the room. I don't know about a description though, a mobile probably couldn't handle that much text. You could set it up for the player, but you'd have to give them a limited form of access to editing the room, otherwise they could really mess with the room.

the_logos 09-18-2002 08:49 PM

We (Achaea) are in the process of doing a comprehensive automated housing system. Our current one is manual, and too much work for our administrators. It will work like this:

1. The player-run cities (currently 6 of them) each got a new Ministry added to them: the Ministry of Development. It is that Ministries job to develop subdivisions within the city. Developing a subdivision basically involves sticking together ansi-colored ascii tiles with various icons (gardens, roads, lakes, rivers, and so on) and then declaring certain locations as housing plots, and putting prices on them. That's already been implemented. The next few steps are in the process of being coded.

2. Players will get the ability to purchase room credits that they can then use to build a house on a housing plot that they own (and must purchase from one of the cities). Players will then be able to modify their houses at will, including how they connect to each other, doors, locks, and so on.

3. Players will get the ability to buy multiple housing plots and form 'compounds'. Compounds are walled-off sections of a subdivision, with only one entrance. They'll be suitable for various groups of players, such as a guild that wishes to have a compound in which only guild members may purchase houses, or maybe a religious Order that wants a special compound only for its high-ranking priests.

4. Players will be able to purchase configureable, descriptionable guards for the interior of their houses, in order to guard against theft (we'll be creating reasons for players to store their loot in their houses).

5. Finally, and lastly, we'll be putting in a system of functional furniture, including a crafting skill for players to create their own furniture from furniture patterns they'll write (all of which must be approved by an admin, but once approved, we know it's not full of profanity, inappropriate references, and so on.)

All in all, we expect this system to be extremely popular, as it combines creativity on the part of city government ministers in making attractive subdivision maps, and allows players to freely express themselves in a forum in which other players are unlikely to be offended. If you don't want to read the room descriptions in someone's house because they offend you, just leave. You'll never have any reason to go back there, unlike public rooms.

--matt
Achaea, Dreams of Divine Lands

Wenlin 09-18-2002 09:12 PM

The Jungle has a simple housing system, just some personalized vnums to call your own, and if you beg, you can put it in the city and get a key, and invite people over and have house parties. Your home is also a recall point. You also get a vault to keep all your cool items in.

But wait, this is about concepts, not advertising...It is a simple little thing. Have an alternate recall and have a few vnums for the home rooms and stuff inside.

In fact, I have my own house there...You just need some money, and then email the certain ominous address what you want the rooms to say. Easy, and to your liking. Its not just a 'generic player-house' Its WENLIN'S House!

Otherwise, go to The Jungle and shout out\write a note to Talon and\or Lanka.

Tavish 09-19-2002 12:21 PM

"2. Players will get the ability to purchase room credits that they can then use to build a house on a housing plot that they own (and must purchase from one of the cities). Players will then be able to modify their houses at will, including how they connect to each other, doors, locks, and so on."

Out of curiosity do the PLAYERS do the buying of credits or does the CHARACTER?

Anyways, I'm about 85% finished with the housing code for my mud. I went with a dynamic description that the players can alter by adding objects to the rooms, painting the walls, or other various handyman tasks. In the end there is a chance that alot of the houses could end up the same, given at the moment there are only a handful of objects and such that can be added to the rooms.

I decided to go with this route over giving the players string_editing access for the simple reason that I don't trust some players very much. If I had to double check every desc they wanted for the houses I would just go with the route mentioned earlier of having them submit the desc to an immort and then we apply it maunally.

Ashon 09-19-2002 03:09 PM

I've never seen a system that both satisfies the player and is easy enough for the administration. But for my project I am going with something similiar to what Tavish is doing. Our rooms are dynamically generated anyways, so any objects added to the room will add more flavor.

And other 'home' objects that can be played with: a can of paint, a carpet store, a furniture store, a and the kitchen sink store. All the things that make a home a home.

Sure you won't get the lavish descriptions of how bountiful the house is, unless the house is bountiful, and money has been spent on the items in the house.

And as to the original post, I think there are some player-owned home snippets out there, but I imagine most of them take a fair to high level amount of tweaking.

A search at Kyndig for home gives at least one hit for a player owned homes:

Caxandra 09-19-2002 03:55 PM

Dalsor put this together, and I do believe it's posted on Kyndig too.

Dulan 09-19-2002 04:19 PM

Disgusting.

I'm amazed at the simple amount of advertisement on these boards. Achaea is supposedly a "professionally run" deal - professinally run? Yeah, by a staff of jokers who can't evidently read board rules on free sites, and are unable to comprehend the proper board for advertisement.

Good god. First there's blatantly false advertisements by Achaea, -shakes head-. That is one thought I will not finish.

-D

KaVir 09-20-2002 05:43 PM

This thread has little to do with Advanced Mud Concepts - it's a snippet request and a series of adverts. I'm moving it to the Coders forum, where the snippet request belongs.

Advanced Mud Concepts: I've been thinking of implementing a system whereby players can build their own homes, and have come up with design issues, which I'd like some feedback on...

Coder's Forum: How do I code player homes? Has someone got a snippet?

Caxandra 09-20-2002 11:06 PM

<apologizing if I look like I was advertising>

Dulan 09-21-2002 12:27 AM

Oy, KaVir, can we get a definition of 'advertising' and 'information'?

Achaea-boys/Wenlins posts were definitely advertising. Caxandra's post was definitely not. However, what about Smadronia's posts?

Is it possible to get a solid line drawn between advertising/information here?

-D

KaVir 09-21-2002 10:23 AM

Unfortunately it's very hard to draw the line between information and advertising. However your post should contribute to the thread and consist of more than just a feature list of your mud.

I didn't have a problem with Caxandra's post - it was a perfectly appropriate response to the original question. Unfortunately the original question didn't belong on the Advanced Mud Concepts forum.

Terloch is more tolerant of posts than I am, so he may not mind the thinly-veiled adverts so much on this forum.

the_logos 09-21-2002 02:57 PM

Both. Players will spend the credits we sell for rl money, but they can also get these credits entirely through in-game means, without spending rl money. In the former case, it's the player buying for the character. In the latter case, it's the player using the character to buy them.

As far as checking their descriptions go, our attitude on houses is, "Who cares?" They're private spaces for players, and not really accessible by players other than the owner, so if they're horribly offensive, they're not going to offend anyone who hasn't gone there at the invitation of the owner.
--matt

the_logos 09-21-2002 03:47 PM

Chuckle. Sounds like someone needs his nappy changed.

--matt

Wildman 09-27-2002 03:24 AM

Okay, I'll try my best to keep this strictly a request and not an advertisement.  Regarding the ROM homes.c, how much work do you think it would take to convert that to a Smaug codebase?  Shouldn't be too much, right?

rockcrusher_sargon 09-27-2002 12:58 PM