Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advertising for Players (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Top Mud for a reason.... (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2554)

the_logos 09-09-2003 06:06 PM

Come on, is that really called for? At the very least, their website is fantastic.

--matt

CSmith_Fan 09-09-2003 10:53 PM

Hephos 09-10-2003 03:40 AM

Actually, would be fun to see which mud is the most successfull (counting playerbase) and is nearly stock.

malaclypse 09-10-2003 04:59 PM

That would be nice for research, but I dunno about fun. Thats about as much fun as when I correct my bosses correspondence (fixing his spelling errors of "quistions" and "raidos") and then doing payroll and seeing him earn 5 times what I do.

When mediocrity is successful, it makes me wanna kick a puppy!

- Ryan

vedic 09-10-2003 05:54 PM

You obviously haven't bothered to play the game. Materia Magica has no "stock" areas.

vedic 09-10-2003 05:56 PM

Also with approximately 8 million locations, having an average of 250 players online could hardly be considered "overpopulated".

Kreative 09-10-2003 07:33 PM

I wonder sometimes if you people actually know even a clue about what you are talking about.  I play Materia Magica (note the order of thoes words vmaster).  Rarelly lagging, extremly friendly admin, and sensible players.  The world is HUGE... I have no idea where you got this idea that its 'overpopulated', or that _any_ part of it is Stock...

Matt

Kat 09-23-2003 01:13 AM

Hephos 09-23-2003 09:56 AM

*cough* *cough*

40 unique zones? I wouldn't call that large. We have over 250 unique zones, coming up near 25-30k rooms. AND wilderness maps spanning several continents with millions of non-real locations. We have about 30 players online at peak. Now, comparing i would also certainly say materia magica is over-populated.

Yeah, now you're talking wilderness and NOT "real" locations. You can't use that for describing how "large" the world is.

Kat 09-23-2003 10:12 AM

vedic 09-23-2003 12:10 PM

There are over 130 separate unique areas and 8 million rooms in Materia Magica. The average number of players online is 275.

There's also a very nice wilderness system - if you are saying that your wilderness system in your game, Hephos, isn't used by your players as separate areas with which to explore and adventure, then you are under-utilizing your wilderness. Materia Magica is making good use of theirs. There are separate zones within the wilderness - areas where hill giants roam and where you can find cave trolls, they aren't all in the same location or just based on terrain. So yes, I would say that 8 million rooms does count towards the total.

It's also very easy to have lots of rooms. But having lots of detailed, well-described rooms, with interesting NPCs who have their own scripting and interaction? Much harder. There are few games who do a really good job at making use of the systems they have, so I would say that quantity is definitely != quality.