Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Coding (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Diminishing returns formula (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4611)

chaosprime 10-07-2007 05:11 AM

Diminishing returns formula

I have just put up a page publishing the best of the diminishing returns formulae I've hacked around with over the years: . Since it took a fair amount of effort and trying different things that didn't work nearly as well, I thought others might find it useful. :) Includes explanation, interactive calculators so you can see how it actually performs, and code snippets in six languages.

Newworlds 10-07-2007 11:41 AM

Re: Diminishing returns formula

Diminishing returns of what? Gold, XP, Poppy seed muffins?

chaosprime 10-07-2007 11:53 AM

Uh... yes. Like most mathematical formulae, it's insensitive to its units.

I use it often for things like deriving effectiveness ratings from things that are potentially unbounded, like (in my little world) attribute and skill levels, or item value.

It could be used to calculate diminishing returns on the gold randomly bestowed on someone for sacrificing to Eris (across input values of sacrifice value), or the XP obtained from repeatedly killing the same thing (across input values of unmodified XP value), or the poppy seed muffins created by the Conjure Poppy Seed Muffins spell (across input values of caster charisma, conjuring, and cooking).

Newworlds 10-07-2007 02:29 PM

In that case, interesting work.:)

chaosprime 10-07-2007 02:53 PM

Why, thank you. :)

Milawe 10-08-2007 12:37 AM

Hey! Just took a quick glance. Thanks for the contribution. I'm gonna take the time to really look it over in the next few days.

chaosprime 10-08-2007 09:34 AM

Looking forward to hearing what you think. :)

Zhiroc 10-08-2007 03:36 PM

There are, of course, many ways to implement diminishing returns. This one is fairly "mild" compared to some. For example, Eve Online has each skill level cost 2^2.5 more than the previous (which is a factor of roughly 5.65). So, for your 20 pt example, the progression would go: 20, 113, 640, 3620, 20480 (skills only have 5 levels).

chaosprime 10-08-2007 06:20 PM

Sure, no question. That's the main reason I put this one together: because the more typical, simpler logarithmic formulae were way too harsh.

Whether this formula is going to be what you want depends on context -- I use several others in different situations, just this is the one that turned out to be useful far more often than the rest -- and design style. I prefer to have development scales relatively open-ended, but with braking factors like this formula in them to reduce the amount of insanity you easily wind up with. If one is comfortable with things like that example from EVE, of just saying "there are five skill levels, that's it", this sort of thing is probably less crucial, I imagine.