Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Announcements (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Earth Eternal Video Released (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4327)

the_logos 05-14-2007 05:51 PM

We released the first video for Earth Eternal today! It shows three of our NPCs (Dragon, Treekin, Shroomie) and a Feline (one of our sixteen player races) geared up for battle. It all takes place in a test area and shadows are off so don’t be too harsh on the environment, which isn’t the point in the video. We just hope this gives a sense of the ‘flavor’ that EE’s characters will have.

You can find the video on the front page of our site at

Enjoy!

--matt

DonathinFrye 05-14-2007 08:11 PM

Honestly, it is looking very - very good thus far (I actually really appreciate the uniqueness of the character design). Howmuch of the skill/class/government/philosophy/economics will be throwbacks to Iron Realms' text-based games?

Delerak 05-14-2007 08:50 PM

I prefer world of warcraft.

the_logos 05-14-2007 08:55 PM

Thanks!

Very little is being taken from the text MUDs. We don't have the budget (we're doing Earth Eternal on less than a million) and we're going after a much less hardcore player with Earth Eternal than we are with our text MUDs.

--matt

the_logos 05-14-2007 08:58 PM

Aeran 05-15-2007 11:09 AM

the_logos 05-15-2007 12:57 PM

We use the Ogre3d engine. It's lovely and has a vibrant community around it.

Either OpenGL or DirectX will work.

--matt

scandum 05-15-2007 01:31 PM

That magic mushroom is totally sweet.

I'm in the dark however what your video game has to do with MUDs, assuming TMS is still a mud related site.

the_logos 05-15-2007 02:04 PM

Thanks! I'm a big fan of the Shroomie myself.

TMS is a mud-related site it's true, but MUD encompasses both text and graphical MUDs. Heck, Runescape is listed on TMS, and there's an explicit search for 'graphical MUD' in the 'Find a MUD' link on the left-hand side of the homepage (that oddly returns a whole array of MUDs that are not graphical along with a few graphical ones).

Delerak 05-16-2007 08:01 PM

lovechiefs 05-16-2007 09:19 PM

Matt, the video is great. The characters looks great and I love the music.
Nice job
Who is your composer?

the_logos 05-16-2007 09:50 PM

Jeff Simmons, at

--matt

Aeran 05-17-2007 10:56 AM

The music sounds very nice, very professional :-).

What I find very interesting with Earth Eternal is that it is a game that essentially comes from the text MUDding community. While it might not have the same atmosphere and depth as the text games I suspect it will still show surprising things to the graphical mmrpg community.

This is very exciting.

KaVir 05-17-2007 12:09 PM

So do a number of other graphical muds - the creators of EverQuest have stated they drew inspiration from DikuMUD and TorilMUD, Mythic Entertainment (developers of Dark Age of Camelot) evolved from two companies that both produced text-based muds (Aradath, Dragon's Gate and Tempest, the latter of which was later used as the codebase for Dark Age of Camelot), Raph Koster (lead designer of Ultima Online, creative director for Star Wars Galaxies and chief creative officer for EverQuest II) used to be an implementor for the Diku-derivative "LegendMUD", and so on.

Aeran 05-17-2007 05:01 PM

It is very nice. Seems all paths leads back to MUD then :-).

Delerak 05-18-2007 06:51 PM

Of course. Muds are where future big time developers who grew up without the resources/money, or the desire to go to college get earn their 'stripes' in designing games.