Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advertising for Players (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Any good PK based muds? (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750)

Kickin 07-28-2006 03:18 PM

Can someone recommend a good PK based mud?
I played one a while back that was pretty easy to level in, so you could get up to speed with the rest of the players fairly quickly. Can't recall the name though.
Personally I don't enjoy grinding levels for months just to get a char that will be decent against other players.

I've been playing Everwar recently, and I really like the style of play, and the system they use. Its basically light and dark sides working against each other, so if you see someone of the opposite alignment you can kill them without question. You don't even see the enemy on the who list or see their char's name if you come across them in the wild. The game would be perfect for me except the amount of time it will take to remort enough to be effective.

Playerbase doesn't have to be huge for me to enjoy it, I just want a good pk based game, and mainly geared towards skill of playing rather than time spent killing mobs.

Clifton 07-28-2006 04:27 PM

Try abandoned realms.

In the words of one of the Imps on a recent forum thread.

That quoted, AR has a dynamic and unique combat system with much more being planned. However, the learning curve is sweet. If you're up for trying it - visit abandonedrealms.com [9000]

Webpage has useful information. Be warned, it's addictive and frustrating.

Mechaterror 07-28-2006 07:24 PM

Alien vs. Predator. Hardcore driller killer pkz.

avpmud.com:4444

Three races: Alien, Predator, Marine. You are expected to terminate any opposing race with extreme prejudice for any reason you see fit. Sometimes you're expected to exterminate members of your own race. Sometimes you get exterminated. It's a vicious cycle.

There is a slight grind, but it is primarily for acclimation since I have never seen anyone play AvP that has been prepared for the range or intensity of playerkilling it allows. You are also expected to talk trash and have trash talked to you for any reason whatsoever, up to and including being a newbie, female, physically disabled, and/or existing. Don't cry to any of the staff members, as they'll probably just talk trash to you too. Suck it up and jump back into the fight with an armfull of grenades and jihad some unsuspecting mofo.

In other words, it's a rough place. There are no handouts or donations unless someone's just feeling damn generous. The language is not heavily moderated with exception of racist and explicit sexual content, which are expected to be taken to an unmoderated and unpunishable (supposedly) flame channel.

The game playes more like a FPS with traditional RPG/roleplaying elements such as stats and levels, and a heavy thematic bent (everything is Alien vs. Predator oriented). The MUD server is LexiMUD (circle derivative) and has been in operation for about 9 years now. There are often times anywhere from 10-25 players logged in during normal and peak hours.

DonathinFrye 07-28-2006 10:30 PM

Look for the up-coming release of Utopia; it offers dozens of classes, absolutely no leveling at all(all skill or stat gain is gained from gaining pks on players in your range), and the most advanced solo(non-group oriented, like Everwar and Clandestine) player-killing that I've ever come across, very akin to the difficulty level of Godwars II, just approached from a different direction. Godwars II is also a good choice - both of these systems are unique, require little(Godwars II) to no(Utopia) "grind", and reward player skill in PK over other solo PK MUDs.

I also thoroughly enjoy Everwar as a group PK MUD and Clandestine MUD - but admittedly, these are MUDs that do include level-gaining and growth for the character before PK is entirely effective.

If you liked Everwar, you'd probably also enjoy Duris: Land of Bloodlust and MUME, for PK. Both suffer the same drawbacks(for you, not everyone) of having to level up, which is why I'd keep an eye peeled for Utopia when it re-opens, or check out Godwars II.

Additionally, if you are fairly wealthy, you could just blow lots of money on an Achaea or Dragonrealms: The Fallen character and not have to level. The MUDs mentioned above are better for PvP in my opinion, though.

Hope that gives you some names to take a look at!

Spoke 07-28-2006 11:42 PM

xanan 10-05-2011 04:44 PM

Re: Any good PK based muds?

Duris is a full pk based mud check it out

Zergling86 10-05-2011 07:57 PM

Please come check out Godwars: A Moment of Hatred. It's the third installment MoH has had. I, Jaden, just returned to the mud work and am helping Tijer out with odds and ends. Im on frequently and were looking to get some old school godwars players back in action. We offer a great unique multiclassing system along with a highly customizable kingdom interface, and we have GUI support. This is based of the old Planes of Hades code base which i myself created version 1 then 2. Now Tijer has created a 3rd installment. This really is a site to see mudders. Come check us out!

Host: godwars.net
Port: 3500

Newworlds 10-05-2011 08:52 PM

For quality PK revolved around combat and such I would highly recommend God Wars II.

For hack and slash style you can try Achaea.

For pk with required roleplay perhaps New Worlds Ateraan or Armeggedon.

KaVir 10-06-2011 04:15 AM

Although thread necromancy can sometimes be appropriate (eg adding new insight to an old design thread), in this case the original poster was just looking for a mud. If he hasn't found one after five years, I doubt he's still hanging around TMS.