Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   From TMC to TMS (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7775)

Newworlds 11-02-2018 08:04 PM

From TMC to TMS

The new TMC Forums are kind of blah. Hope they go back to the old forum, but who knows.

Does anyone actually post there besides the Moderators and maybe 3 or 4 others? Just curious.

Molly 11-03-2018 02:34 AM

Re: From TMC to TMS

Does anyone post here?
Let's face it - both forums are practically dead, and we textmudders are an aging and dying breed in general.

rendekar 11-03-2018 09:39 AM

reddit mud subcategory is the most active place now, I think. TMS looks abondoned like TMC. I see a few people here. They haven't changed anything here for decades and decided to keep this website only as a voting website for muds. They could have increased the font size of recent forum posts on main page to make it more attractive to the eye, for example.

Crystal 11-08-2018 03:59 PM

Hey I'm back and in my prime lol. Though yes, the community seems to be dying. But look at the come-back for DnD. This year has been their biggest year yet. I think MUDs could come back with the right marketing and interest.

Hades_Kane 11-09-2018 05:22 PM

I'd have to know who the moderators are (assuming there are moderators) before I could answer that question.

Molly 11-11-2018 10:50 AM

As far as I know, there are no moderators. The old moderator team, of which both HK and I were members, resigned, and no new ones has been appointed. The new Forum is supposed to moderate itself, and so far it seems to work. At least there have been no new flame wars, but then again, there isn't much traffic either.

Still, the same seems to be the case here. Maybe the flamers burnt themselves out?

Lasher 11-11-2018 12:22 PM

Someone offered us 10k for this site last year to build it out, but they weren't prepared to commit to keep it to MUDs only.

With hindsight that seemed more important then that it does now, should have probably just taken it.

Kurzon 08-15-2020 07:29 PM

TMS is still invariably one of the first sites any google search returns when looking for active or popular MUDs, so even if the forums aren't that active, I consider it an important tool in the MUD community. TMC on the other hand feels a fair bit obsolete.

Crystal 09-12-2020 12:51 PM

Honestly, web forums aren't popular with users these days in general, not just in the MUD community. People are more akin to groups on social media or migrating to things like slack discussion or messenger groups.

I think if we as MUD enthusiasts start migrating to modern forms of communication, and do a little PR work like what was done for D&D over the last couple years, that we could certainly put some life back into the community.

This is coming from a marketing professional, fwiw

Jazuela 09-14-2020 06:09 PM

Marketing 101: Find a need and fill it.
Marketing 101.a: Know your demographics.

Our primary demographics are people who already know what a MUD is, and have been playing them for awhile. As such - TMS and TMC are "THE" go-to places for the demographics in question.

Discord is actually pretty popular as well these days. But if you want a compendium of games, with descriptions of each, so that you can figure out which one(s) to try next - your best bet is either TMS or TMC (or both). From there, you can select a few and see if they have Facebook/Twitter/Slack/Discord accounts, and check out the individual game communities that way.

Crystal 09-22-2020 02:24 PM

I mean, I get it, but if we're only trying to target existing MUD players we have a very finite pool of people that, lets be honest, are getting old. That's why I think it's important to start reaching out beyond the MUD community.

We're never going to replace xbox to WoW, of course. But there's a very real retro invasion going on right now where things like, old games, old fashion, etc., are becoming more mainstream. People are also staying at home more given current issues.

Personally, I think it's the perfect time to revive the MUD community and bring in fresh blood. Marketing 101.b :)