Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   using wizard.exe (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323)

claudine 09-30-2002 01:02 PM

Ingham 09-30-2002 01:48 PM

What on earth does the file "wizard.exe" do ?

Quietude 09-30-2002 02:00 PM

Yes, it's possible, but only for the Windows version -- although none of the graphic things will work, so the only real reason to use it is the scripting engine.  Note that I have no idea if this'll work with the latest version, if there is one; the last I tried it was a year or two ago.

Here's what you do:

1.) Make a shortcut for the Wizard and put it on your desktop.

2.) Go into the properties of the shortcut.

3.) Find the line "C:\Program Files\SIMU\WIZARD\Wizard.Exe" in the properties.

4.) Replace that with "C:\Program Files\SIMU\WIZARD\Wizard.Exe" /G/H/P

5.) After the G, put the code for the version of the front end you want to use (GemStone, DragonRealms, Hercules & Xena, or Modus Operandi).  The GemStone code is GST -- you'll have to guess at the rest, I don't know them.

6.) After H, put the IP address for the MUD you're trying to connect to.

7.) After P, put the port number for the MUD you're trying to connect to.  If it's Telnet, this is 23.

So, for example. . .

"C:\Program Files\SIMU\WIZARD\Wizard.Exe" /GGST/H255.255.255.255/P23

(Ingham -- wizard.exe is Simutronics' proprietary MUD client.)

this space intentionally left blank

[edited 'cause I misspelled Ingham's name.]

SoulTorn 09-30-2002 03:49 PM

also uses the WizardFE.(As well as having their own FE and telnet-ability)

Fun game, based(loosely) on Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition.

$6/month for 8(?) characters, free-trial doesn't require a credit card.

Despite popular belief...Simutronics/DragonRealms bashing doesn't go on much(if at all).

It was started by Peter Souza IV after he(I believe) got 'the boot' from DragonRealms...but it was more a 'need more good options apart from DR' type of deal.

-Chris, erm...yeah

Caledric 09-30-2002 08:21 PM

Dragon's Gate by Mythic Entertainment also uses the Wizard FE

MelissaMeyer 09-30-2002 10:40 PM

For what it's worth, yes, SIMU owns it's version of the Wizard. Eaxia does not have the rights to use the Wizard. I'm assuming DragonsGate got thier version at about the time that Simu did ... but if so, it would be a different version of the Wizard than is currently used in DragonRealms.

SIMU received the rights to the software from AOL long ago and has since upgraded it substatially.

Melissa Meyer
Producer, GemStone III

grezzler 10-01-2002 01:15 AM

Actually I do not believe Peter was booted out of DR completely, from my understanding it was partly choice.  If I do recall correctly he was booted from DR Platinum for AFK scripting a couple times and then decided to leave after that.  We both played moon mage characters and hung out a bit during game play, he was a real nice guy.  I've not tried his game out yet, though when he was first starting it I popped in at his behest so he could show me around a little.  Glad to see he's still doing it.

Me.

Yui Unifex 10-01-2002 06:57 AM

What do you mean by 'connection status'? I see that Wizard appears to be a proprietary mud client. What's the advantage of Wizard over other mud cilents?

Jazuela 10-01-2002 07:43 AM

The term connection status is used erroneously by the poster, though I suppose it could be correct in the literal sense, in that his connection status is activated by using one or another front end (client, GUI, etc.).

The Wizard is a beautiful GUI, with some really excellent graphics monitors for things like health points, your character's injuries and their severety, a mana meter/timer, a compass to show the direction in which your character is heading, and all sorts of other nifty things. All in really great colors, with a nifty frame surrounding the whole kebosh depicting the logo of the Simu game chosen and some dragon pics. It also allows for separate windows for different things such as their ESP channel, death messages, connection/server messages, etc.

It also comes with graphics and sound add-in bonus packs that are specific to the Simu games, so for instance if you walk to the troll hunting area, a picture of a troll might show up in the upper left and a specific spooky forest sound would start coming through your speakers. The "basic" Wizard file comes fully equipped with every tool showing up when you load it, but you can drag and drop or click and delete any of the tools if you aren't interested in using one or the other.

All these neat tools and graphics and things are designed to respond to the GSL code, and therefore have absolutely no function whatsoever in other games. So mostly it's just a pretty shell that you can create scripts and macros with, unless you're using it to play a Simu game.

Ike 10-01-2002 09:29 AM

i would like to try this out. which game uses this client?

MelissaMeyer 10-01-2002 11:20 AM

GemStone III:
DragonRealms:
H&X: Alliance of Heroes:
Modus Operandi:

Someone here mentioned that Dragons Gate also uses it. (Quite a suprise to me.)

Melissa Meyer

claudine 10-01-2002 11:23 AM

Ike 10-01-2002 11:35 AM

how about ones that use this client and i can play for free or a free trial?

actually a simple mpeg or movie of someone using this client would be suitable. i just want to see the client... not play another mud

Seraphina 10-01-2002 11:58 AM

The Simutronics games use the Wizard FE. Free 30 day trial on the games.

Caledric 10-04-2002 10:16 PM

Hehe, you may have to go up to a higher level to find out Why Mellissa, but when the Wizard was originally designed on AOL it was designed to be used with several different games, Dragon's Gate, Gemstone III, and Dragon realms being the only 3 that actually survived and thrived with the FE. The fact that Simu later bought the source code and rights to it doesn't mean it was never developed for another mud as well.

Lovelorn 10-09-2002 08:52 AM

I love this FE.  From my limited experience with other MUDs, which is beginning to grow thanks to this site, I find telnet or java access to be a pain.  I dislike ZMud only because I lack the tech know how to really use their capabilities to my best advantage...

I've been previewing or at least site hopping quite a bit since discovering TMS.  Probably the first thing to turn me off about any of the MUDs I've checked out has been their 'interface'.

Denna 01-28-2011 03:51 PM

Re: using wizard.exe

The directions here work, kind of. It does attempt to login to the mud but as the mud requests account name and password from the wizard it is timing out. Is there a way to include the account name and password like the ip address and port?