Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   City of Heroes (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452)

Ilkidarios 06-16-2005 07:49 PM

I've recently become hooked on the MMO City of Heroes. And I was wondering if there were other people on TopMud who play this game. I've got a Science Blaster ice guy on Triumph server, his name's Chilly Dog if anyone wants to add him to friends. If you do play, please post your hero or heroine's name here with the server. Maybe we could have a TopMudSites supergroup or something.

the_logos 06-17-2005 12:54 PM

I played for about 6 weeks last summer when it came out, and got a character in each archetype to level 14 (mainly so I could use the traveling power), but became bored soon after in each case. There's nothing to do but bash monsters, and it got old.

--matt

Ilkidarios 06-17-2005 05:58 PM

I'd imagine most of the guys on here moved on to World of Warcraft.  I tried it, but the truth is, I'd grown tired of all those Medieval fantasy games.  I got tired of crafting armor, fighting goblins, and raiding dungeons for gold.  I really wanted something new, and that's when CoH came along.  It offered an alternative to the old Medieval thing from EVERY OTHER MMO IN EXISTENCE.  That's why I started City of Heroes.  Because, in my humble opinion, it is a welcome alternative to most MMO's. Plus I'm a real comic books nerd. I'm serious. I paid forty bucks for that DC comics encyclopaedia a few months ago, and I still read it!

the_logos 06-18-2005 02:17 PM

Yep, that's why I played CoH too. I love the cheesy Marvel/DC-style superhero stuff. Plus, the combat in CoH felt 'solid' to me unlike virtually every other graphical MUD. The character creation is the best out there too (at least until Simutronic's Hero's Journey comes out). I tried WoW and lasted exactly 12 days before cancelling my account. The combat sucked (it feels sloppy and like you're rarely actually being hit or hitting someone) and it was just Yet Another Monster Bashing Fest. (YAMBF).

--matt

Ilkidarios 06-18-2005 02:51 PM

the_logos 06-18-2005 04:06 PM

I doubt we'll ever see it happen. A decent percentage of the population in a game has to want to roleplay somewhat consistently for there to be any feeling of roleplaying, and the vast majority of people playing the big graphical games just aren't interested in it.

--matt

Ilkidarios 06-18-2005 05:22 PM

I'll bet they're the same people who's first computer game (not in the arcade) was Quake or something, and that was generally ANYBODY who made their first foray into computer gaming in 1996, obviously someone who has been computer gaming since the eighties would have different reasons.  Mine was Zork.  Yep, I'm old school.  Check it, you can download Zorkizzle 1-3 right .

prof1515 06-18-2005 05:28 PM

Agreed, that's why I just play text-based games when it comes to RP, and RPI at that (as most well know). The only graphicals I play are single-player or strategy games.

Take care,

Jason