Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Coding (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ROM sockets : no communication for long time (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5305)

Hyena 01-09-2009 01:48 AM

ROM sockets : no communication for long time

What happens if the client is connected to the MUD server and sits quietly in its account menu for an hour changing no information with the server? Usually muds disconnect clients that sit quietly for more than say 10 minutes. Why is that important? What happens on the low level of processes?

Why does a mud have to disconnect you if no information is changed during long time?

Zivilyn 01-09-2009 04:05 AM

Re: ROM sockets : no communication for long time

On mine I have it set to boot players that haven't touched the keys in 30 minutes. Or was it 40, I forget, but basically it's an interactive game not a play by email/post type game so the players are expected to actually be at the computer playing the game. I even disconnect IMMS that are idle if it's above 60 minutes, idea being that if you haven't looked at the computer for an hour? You're not there.

Kylotan 01-09-2009 05:24 AM

It's not important. Maybe 18 years ago when DIKU first started out, file handles and/or sockets were a more limited resource and therefore you didn't want non-players consuming them. These days, it's probably not an issue unless you have hundreds of simultaneous players.

Nothing. TCP connections are quite happy to sit there idle for days. Certain network conditions might cause the connection to be broken, perhaps only when one side or the other attempts to send some data, but that doesn't matter to you really.

Hyena 01-09-2009 07:53 AM

I see, thanks for the information. The thing is that I am experiencing some weird crash bug problem. It has something to do with idle sitting in your account menu but as much as I have tried I am not able to make it crash. Only several players can do it as they quit to their account menu and come back later and start a new connection when the old one is still active, they will be asked to log in anyway as they were already connected. If that player now answers Yes then it crashes. I was wondering if it has something to do with a died connection.. It's a fudge I cannot call the bug by myself :(

Kylotan 01-09-2009 09:36 AM

Doesn't sound anything to do with low-level networking to me. Just sounds like your 'account menu' (which isn't stock ROM, is it?) doesn't properly handle the situation where a new connection disconnects it. Perhaps you're not nulling the reference to the char_data when you drop back to the menu or something like that.

Hyena 01-09-2009 10:46 AM

Yeah, seems to be so. Thanks.