Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Newbie Help (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Worlds (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6601)

IZDemon 10-12-2011 11:11 AM

New Worlds

A couple of days ago I decided to check out New Worlds. My home MUD is undergoing some re-building. I've been looking for something to fill the gap. So far I have been happy with New Worlds. This looks like something that could be fun once I get settled in with the differences between New Worlds and my home MUD.

I have a question.

I'm confused on the difference between my character level and my skill levels. For example; I am level 4 and my skills, such as defense and offense, are level 5. I'm not sure how to phrase my question but lets try this. When I choose to level up my character level, does it take away from my ability to level my offense? Do they all pull from my experience points? Does it come down between a choice of leveling up one or the other?

I am not able to log in at the moment so I might be using the wrong terms. Hopefully someone can sort through my jumbled mess and understand my question.

SnowTroll 10-12-2011 01:20 PM

Re: New Worlds

That's probably a question best asked on the mud itself (once you can log in again). My understanding/experience is that New Worlds has a bifurcated leveling system, to some extent.

Using the same pool of experience points and money, you can choose to advance your level, or advance one or more skills (each character class learns 8 or 9 of them). Gaining levels is how you learn new powers and commands and get more hit points and other vitals, but only some class abilities get more effective with level. Most powers and commands use the skills you've trained to determine their damage and duration. For example, you may learn the fireball spell at level 5, but it may do terrible damage no matter what level you reach until you've raised your magic skills to something high. So you're choosing between learning new stuff and improving your effectiveness with your current stuff.

I'm assuming there's a cost benefit analysis you can do. If your next level requires lots of experience, but raising some relevant skills to up the damage of your favorite attack command is more affordable, you'll gain that level faster if you spend your experience on skills now to do more damage per attack. If you hardly ever use commands that rely on certain skills, maybe you'd skip raising those if you'd rather save up and gain a level.

IZDemon 10-12-2011 01:59 PM

Thank you for your response that is very helpful. Your advise to ask on the MUD itself is probably true as well. I just didn't know exactly how to word my question and I know NewWorlds frequents these boards and will see my question.

I guess I decided that i'd rather flounder on this message board, trying to ask and understand something, rather than flounder in the game trying to get the same understanding.

Newworlds 10-13-2011 12:47 AM

Hello IZDemon,

Basically on New Worlds Ateraan you will have any number of skills based on several factors. First your race, then your background, then whatever guild you choose. These skills, along with your level and your statistics (strength, intelligence, etc.) combined together form the basic character you will play. And all of those attributes will affect hundreds of various things in the game.

With that in mind, your level and your guild will grant you certain powers beyond the innate powers you get based on your race and background. With every power there is a description that explains how it works and the skills or other attributes that affect it. This will give you some idea of what to train.

As Snowtroll explained, you must choose what is more important to you, guild levels and powers, or skills within those guild levels. Some players like to even out the skills and guild levels, while others like to be strong in certain skills and let the guild powers come later, and still others like to advance the guild levels and gain powers while letting the skills come later.

It is really up to you what you decide and by playing for a time you will get the feel of what is more important. With numerous guilds, races, skills, powers, and backgrounds, you will surely be unique in the world.

But keep in mind, what is really important beyond all those guilds, powers, skills, levels, and stats, is your ability to roleplay and how you can work your social, political, and religious skills to your advantage, because no matter how powerful you get as a player it will pale compared to your roleplay prowess.;)

Good Luck!