Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Announcements (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   play for ca$h (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4624)

obit 10-11-2007 09:37 PM

play for ca$h

Contest begins now.

telnet we-dont.gotdns.org 1701 (free to play. free to enter.)

Rules:

1) No multiplaying. IPs are logged and anyone caught doing so will be disqualified. If you share an IP with another contestant, I'm sorry. You'll just have to take turns.

2) No feeding. Sessions are logged/observed/recorded regularly. Allowing another player to shoot you for easy points, or vice versa will get you disqualified.

3) Shipname must contain the following contest code: TMS
Note: Your ship can be destroyed any number of times but remember, your score is always reset to zeros when you die.

4) Contestant must either PM me here, or email me at with playername and shipname(16 characters max). Playername and Shipname must be saved on the wedont.gotdns.org 1701 server.

5) First Place will be awarded to the first contestant to reach 100,000 gold _and_ at least 500,000 DmgGiven in their ship's score. Second and Third Places will be awarded accordingly.

6) Contest ends 31 Dec 2007 or whenever 3rd prize is claimed.

7) In the event that no contestant reaches 100,000 gold and 500,000 DmgGiven before the contest ends, 1st 2nd and 3rd prizes will be awarded at a pro rated amount and based on gold alone. ie, if first place has only 50,000 gold, he/she will be awarded $25.00 instead of $50.00.

8) Finally, this is my contest and my money, so my decisions are final- no arguments.

Prizes via paypal:

USD

1st Place $50.00

2nd Place $25.00

3rd Place $10.00

Feel free to email or pm me with any questions or for any clarifications. You can find the game in the mud database on this site alphabetically as "jtrek mtrek pk". The listing contains links to all of the resources you will need to get started.

Live and learn.
Die and learn faster.

-obit

obit 10-12-2007 09:19 AM

Re: play for ca$h

Update: TMS TOBORG (The only one to enter so far) is currently in the lead with 4839 gold.

Newworlds 10-14-2007 11:09 AM

Only one entry! Come on people, there is cash involved here. You have a guaranteed win if you join now.

prof1515 10-14-2007 04:29 PM

Heh, puts new meaning into the phrase "You couldn't pay me to play!"

Zeno 10-14-2007 07:30 PM

I tried it out, but something is wrong.

Everything seems to force italics and a white bg color. I also get a bunch of garbage text.
Not only that, the java applet link on the MUD listing doesn't work either.

obit 10-14-2007 11:33 PM

If you connect through a common telnet shell emulating vt100 or something similar, you'll have no problems. The java applet works, but the owner of that site hasn't updated the applet to reflect the new game server's address.

Zeno 10-14-2007 11:41 PM

Ah. I'm using MUSHclient, which doesn't support vt100.

obit 10-14-2007 11:49 PM

New Update TOBORG has been PKd a few times but is still in the lead with 0 gold

chaosprime 10-15-2007 09:54 AM

I tried it. I found the "Which help file [a-l]?" followed by "Help file does not exist", leading to trying to decode the interface by hitting random keys while being blown up, somewhat frustrating. The fact that trying the arrow keys initiated the self-destruct sequence was extremely amusing, though.

Zeno 10-15-2007 06:50 PM

Did you read the web guide? I assume that would help, although it is outdated.

obit 10-15-2007 11:42 PM

The docs, found here:

Are accurate except for the new server's address and the specs for some of the newer shipclasses which can be viewed ingame via the & command.

the help file "?" is only a list of basic commands. A much more comprehensive one can be found in the docs. Since the game was written from scratch, ie not using a diku or similar codebase, I can understand how the mashing buttons technique might be a frustrating way to learn. The arrow key self-destruct thing is pretty funny though. The game reads left arrow as OD and "D" is the self destruct command. heh. thankfully, if you iniate self destruct, you have about 25ish seconds to cancel the sequence by hitting "D" again.

Zeno 10-16-2007 04:29 PM

I'm getting an error installing the JTREKClient.

obit 10-16-2007 11:29 PM

on what OS?

I personally don't use the client. I did however, after reading your post, download it, install it, and use it to log in and play with no problems.

Zeno 10-16-2007 11:30 PM

Windows XP SP2.

obit 10-17-2007 12:33 AM

I googled error 1904 for you. I don't know why, but it looks like you'll have to manually register that file. As I've never had that problem, you might look as some of the solutions others used to correct the problem. or, maybe ignore that error and just finish the setup to see if it works.

Zeno 10-17-2007 12:48 AM

Tried that already...

obit 10-17-2007 01:44 AM

In that case, I would recommend contacting the publisher of the client and in the meantime, learn how to play the game via windows telnet. Imho, the client is fun to play with, but by no means necessary to enjoy the game and offers no significant advantage over players(such as myself) who choose not to use it.

scandum 10-17-2007 05:00 AM

Looks like tintin++ works alright with the mud, though I'm not sure if there's a notable advantage to using a mud client.

Never been a fan of space trading games.

obit 10-17-2007 08:52 AM

heh. "trading game"? never heard it called that before. this is a PK game dude.

Delerak 10-18-2007 04:35 AM

What the hell is this? Why would I go play a mud and rush to get some gold or something in the off-chance that I might make 20-50 bucks.