Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mythology Poll (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1218)

Burr 10-26-2002 10:06 PM

Given that so much of what we see in fantasy (and thus fantasy muds) is derived from various mythologies, I thought a poll on the subject might be warranted.

Here is the question: "Of the choices of mythologies given above, which one do you prefer?"

Please excuse any incongruous grouping; there is a 10-line maximum, and I don't really know much about Asian mythologies.  Clarify your answer in a reply if you wish.

If your favorite mythology does not happen to be described by any of the choices given, please put it in your reply; but still vote for the mythology you prefer most of the choices given.

Alexei 10-26-2002 10:27 PM

TopMudSites.

Wenlin 10-26-2002 11:37 PM

Yeah, whichever one has the dragons is fine with me...

Molly 10-27-2002 02:52 AM

I prefer ancient Greek, those gods where so enchantingly 'human'. Promiscuous, quarrelsome, temperamental, vain, vindictive, childish... a real soap opera.

Santrilla 10-27-2002 03:43 AM

I'm quite partial to a bit of celtic lore. I like the idea of being in tune with nature and such. My knowledge of mythology isn't amazing, though.

Shao_Long 10-27-2002 09:18 PM

Ingham 10-27-2002 09:38 PM

Classical Greco-Roman mythology and sometimes the Egyptian mythology. I really love the names of some of them, like Terra, Luna, Gaia, Selene, Seth, Horus, etcetera...

Yowie 10-28-2002 08:31 PM

Have to go with Norse. Any mythology where you have a chance to battle all day long and then drink and eat all night long, even if you died during the battle, is a good one. Though greek mythology does have its charms as well, but I wouldn't exactly call greek/roman mythology classical since you can claim most mythologies are classical depending on where you come from.

Would have been nice to see Aboriginal mythology there, since the dreaming is very interesting.

I would suggest that it may have been easier to have grouped more together, especially celtic. Celtic mythology is mainly a mixture of Norse and Sumarian mythologies. Plus you could have lumped all the types that use the bible or a variation of the bible together. Guess I had best stop before I start getting to picky.

Ogma 10-28-2002 10:14 PM

The term 'Classical' is by definition Greek and Roman (or referring to a certain style of music with a definite structure popularlized by dignitaries such as Mozart.) Look up the word in a dictionary.

No. It isn't.

Kastagaar 10-29-2002 03:59 AM

I think probably classical mythology is my favourite, although I'm also partial to norse and egyptian mythologies. It's probably because classical is the most widely taught - after all, nearly all of the planets in the solar system are named after the gods of classical mythology.

Kas.

CSmith_Fan 10-30-2002 07:02 PM