Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advertising for Staff (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Darksun has opening for 2 Builders. (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3158)

Delerak 05-20-2005 01:50 AM

Darksun MUD has an opening for, well, several dedicated, fluent people to come on staff and assist in our Alpha stage of building the world and setting of this new RPI mud. Your main responsibility would be to building an area, we can teach you our OLC system which is pretty simple since we are a Diku mud, but good writing skills we cannot teach and this is a must for the type of mud we are building.

So if you're interested you can e-mail the head administrators at

Be sure to include somewhere in the subject that you are looking to come on as a builder. And include some examples of your writing if you would..

You can also visit our website and forums therein.
Thank you.

Respectfully,
-Delerak
Founder of Darksun MUD.

Delerak 05-14-2006 05:16 PM

Bumping this as my mud will be coming back online within a couple of weeks. I need builders AND coders. A maximum of (2) coders will be allowed but I want someone who can really help out with our account system, and advanced magic and skills combat systems.

If you're intersted, get in contact with me, e-mail or instant messenger works fine. Or you can stop by our IRC channel to talk to someone.

chat.psionics.net 6664
#Darksun

Thanks for looking.

Xione 05-14-2006 06:22 PM

Just to chime in as the co-imp at Darksun, we've put a -lot- of work into this project, through code, building and even sweat. This is going to be an -awesome- mud, come and join our staff, we need dedicated people extremely bad, if you like darksun or just RP intensive muds period and are a hardcore gamer, Darksun is the right mud for you.

The first post was made while our emails were active, they've since been de-activated, so you can reach me at:

And please, if not anything else, get on the IRC so we can discuss in full depth the potential this mud has.

The world is massive already as it is, just needing to finish tweaking it out so we can get players going.

In any case, hope to hear from you soon!

Welcome, and enjoy.

Delerak 05-19-2006 10:21 PM

Webpage and mud are now functional. Previous posts still apply.

Benreece 05-22-2006 11:27 AM

Dunestalker 05-22-2006 12:27 PM

I took a look at what they had so far and I think it looks great. I would really like to see this RPI take off. I hope you guys can get some quality people to help out with it. Good luck!

Delerak 05-22-2006 06:15 PM

Whoever this is, it's really amusing. I noticed the thread on the armageddon gdb as well. So if this is Ritley, I wanna say thanks. You've done me a favor by advertising to armageddon's playerbase. Really smart. Heh.

PS. You have no idea what you're talking about.

-D

Xione 05-22-2006 06:45 PM

We are not a copy of the Armageddon MUD, we are soely based off of Darksun. Our code may resemble certain ideas from armageddon code, or anyone's code, but the coded has been all done by ourselves and not with the intention of copying anyone.

Thank you.

Jazuela 05-22-2006 08:49 PM

I did some building for this game before Real Life [tm] caused them to take a long break from making it. It doesn't resemble Armageddon at all. The codebase is similar, but then Arm's codebase isn't custom, it's DIKU, just like hundreds of other muds out there. Arm has done tons of work on the base code and theirs is now majorly modified. DarkSun mud is also modified pretty heavily, in its own way. DarkSun also isn't related in any way, shape, or form to Dune, and Armageddon has borrowed liberally from the Dune novels and makes special mention of that in their documentation.

You love Armageddon. That's great. It's an awesome game. But putting someone down for wanting to do a mud with a theme containing similar aspects is no different from someone making a fuss about someone making yet another DIKU, or another newbie zone, or another recall function. Or another Wheel of Time game. Or another game with dark elves. You get the idea.

Personally I hope they do great and Delerak/Xione feel free to PM me. I'd love to do some building for ya again and I'm even wondering if the zone I started on is still there.

Delerak 05-22-2006 09:41 PM

crescent Delerak Mopo CrescentForest 5000 5999 0
insidetyr Xione Inside Tyr 29000 30999 0
abovetyr Above Tyr 31000 33999 0

Indeed it is. You're always welcome to stop by, J.

Benreece 05-23-2006 02:16 PM

Good luck then. I was not flaming just stating my thoughts, maybe you should have done so too, instead of attempting too needlessly insult me. Next time state the reasons why it isn't.

Why're you browsing the forums anyway? Guess it doesn't matter.

Good luck then Delerak.

Dunestalker 05-25-2006 10:01 AM

You basically said they'd be copying from Armageddon without providing any basis for such a statement. I see that as an insult/flame to begin with. Next time state reasons why you believe such a thing, instead of posting baseless insults.

Anyway, again I want to wish you guys good luck and you will be seeing me there in my off time from Arm when you get it up and running.

The_Disciple 05-25-2006 11:08 PM

I don't know, man. There aren't exactly a ton of RPI MUDs out there. I'm not saying the copy conclusion is necessarily correct, but if you pick the same basic (and rare) theme as one of the very few other MUDs in the RPI genre, comparisons are going to be inevitable.

That said, regardless of how the subject came up, I think it'd benefit Darksun's creators to explain some how they'd plan to be different. Probably, they have given this a lot of thought and have decided upon directions that will make their game very distinct, but lacking that information, it's natural to think, "Why would I leave America just to visit America Jr.?"

Delerak 05-26-2006 01:02 AM

I am creating a mud based on Athas. The Darksun World. If you can't realize the fact that I have a great passion for the setting, then you are blind.

I read the books, I ran my own campaigns and even played Darksun on tabletop years before Armageddon existed. I am not going to get into a ****ing contest with armageddon players on topmudsites because they wanna know what's going to be different about my mud comparatively speaking to armageddon.

Armageddon has taken from Dune, Darksun, and other books, settings for their clans. You can't compare a mud strictly based on Darksun to it. So if any of the other staff at DS want to do it, that's their perogative to do so. It's in Alpha stages and is far from even allowing players. This is all I have to say about that.

Staying on topic, if anyone is interested in building for me, contact me. If you want to work with our coders, contact Xione. I'm including my introduction to the world below. Thanks.

[code]
The endless wastes...The burning sand...The crimson sun...This is the
world of Athas, the world of the Dark Sun campaign setting. Athas'
savage, primal landscape is the result of long centuries of ecological
and magical abuse. The world is dying. It breathes its last gasps as
water turns to silt, grasslands become sandy wastes and jungles decay
into stony barrens. Still, life finds a way to endure even in these
hellish conditions. In fact, it thrives.

Athas is a place of contrasts. Bleak deserts exist beside verdant
belts, rocky badlands give way to thick forests, and scrub plains
surroud opulent oases. These contrasts go beyond envrionmental
conditions. Magic, for example, is relativly scarce and universally
feared, while psionic powers are a common and accepted part of life.

Water is more precious than gold in this resource-depleted world, and
metals of all sorts are likewise in short supply. Except for heat and
sun, blood and dust, few things can be found in abundance.

Children growing up beneath the crimson sun don't aspire to become
heroes. True heroes who champion causes or seek to make the world
a better place are as rare as steel on Athas. Living to see the next
dawn is more important than defending a set of beliefs, so survival
ultimately motivates all living creatures- not virtue or righteousness.

Today, Athas rushes toward its future. If the course of destruction is
to be diverted, if Athas is to be restored, then more heroes must grab
the reins of destiny and give Athas a new hope.[/quote]

DonathinFrye 05-26-2006 03:28 AM

John 05-26-2006 07:51 AM

Well given Delerak was (is?) a long-time player of Armageddon (in fact I've heard the project referred to as "everything Delerak views wrong with Armageddon" many years ago from one of Delerak's friends) I'd say the opinion is somewhat justified. Whether or not it's true only time will tell.

Delerak 05-26-2006 11:05 AM

Yes. I'm spending all ths time, building, writing docs, gathering staff, reading books on C, contacting wizards of the coast, getting copyrights done, spending money out my pocket for servers, just so I can "one-up" another mud.

Quite naive.

-D

the_logos 05-26-2006 12:04 PM

I think the point was that given that Armaggedon copied other people's work to a large extent in its setting, it's silly to pretend there's something wrong with Delerak doing the same (whether he is or not).

--matt

Delerak 05-26-2006 12:20 PM

I have permission from wizards of the coast to use Darksun for my mud so long as I do not profit.

DonathinFrye 05-26-2006 01:42 PM

I've always said people should try to get Wizards of the Coast to commission the creation of professional D&D MUDs; I think with the backing of Wizards, you could see some great things happen. Also, the few times I've had to deal with Wizards on a professional level, they seemed like a fairly open and easy-to-approach company.

But yeah, Matt was right on what my point was.