Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advertising for Players (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ancient Greece (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2238)

Molly 06-07-2004 03:21 AM

Those of you who enjoyed the films Gladiator and Troy might be interested to know that we just added a large section of Ancient Greece to our PreHistoric Dimension.

Although the zone Troy itself is still under contruction, we now have over 2000 rooms of Greek mainland, sea, archipelago and islands, all pretty true to the time period of the Trojan War.

If you get tired of the inevitable Medieval world, why not try out another time period? Relive the old myths, encounter the Greek Gods, who still walk the earth in these old days around 2000 BC...

We also have around 500 rooms of Ancient Egypt from the same time. All 100% original, and filled with hungry crocodiles, vindictive Gods, hard or easy quests and other challenges.

I doubt you will find anything even remotely similar in any other Mud.

the_logos 06-07-2004 12:53 PM

--matt

Letrus Abbot 06-08-2004 10:08 PM

Ogma 06-09-2004 02:00 AM

Um...Gladiator was set in the Roman Empire, in a different part of the Mediterranean and over a thousand years later....

Molly 06-09-2004 02:51 AM

Hardestadt 06-09-2004 08:33 AM

Hehe, Molly.. Gladiator the movie.

the_logos 06-09-2004 03:34 PM

Erm. Aztecs are not a prehistoric culture. Neither is ancient Greece. Legendmud has parts modeled on both ~1200 B.C. Greece and ~1200 B.C. Peloponnesian Islands.

I think someone brought up Eternal City because you used the movie Gladiator as an example, and Eternal City refers to Rome.

--matt

Molly 06-12-2004 05:29 AM

Italy was colonised by the Greeks during a period of well over 1000 years. So was Troy and other parts of Asia Minor, for that matter. And due to the myth, Rome itself was founded by an escapee from the Trojan War, Aeneas (ever heard of the Aeneid, by Vergilius?)

The distance between Rome and Mycenae is not much longer than between Mycenae and Troy, and the Greeks were great sailors. In fact, during that time the sea was not a divider, it was the main communication route. And the Roman culture, society and mythology is based totally on Greece, in fact the Gods are all but identical, but for their names.

The Medieval period lasted about 1000 years too, and I never heard this raised as an objection against Medieval Muds spanning over a too long period. What we are doing is not meant as history lectures, even though our facts in the mud are usually quite accurate. But Muds are mainly meant for entertainment. And after all, our main theme is Time Travel.

In that perspective I don't see Rome and Greece as very far apart, neither geographically or chronologically. Anyhow, Rome is next on my todo list, after Troy gets implemented.

John 06-12-2004 09:07 PM

If you mean the nations, parts of Greece were in Rome. I know this because Paestum was once part of the Roman Empire, but later became part of the Greece once more.

I don't know much about Roman times, but I'd say Greece was an anexxed part of Rome. A state, like India in the Brittish Empire.

the_logos 06-13-2004 02:45 AM