Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Coding (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I wanna code (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358)

gutterzombie 10-14-2003 08:22 PM

I never coded and i want to learn any one want to give me a try...or any sugestions on what i should do??

gutterzombie 10-14-2003 08:56 PM

heh ok i see

gutterzombie 10-15-2003 12:11 PM

Brody 10-15-2003 12:26 PM

Uh...we get it. You want to code, and you'll be as annoying as your little hypercaffeinated self must be to maintain any form of attention acquisition for yourself.

This doesn't bode well for anyone who considers hiring you, I'm afraid.

Moridian 10-15-2003 12:47 PM

Best bet for learning to code and being able to code for a mud is to buy a few books on the C programming language and read them cover to cover.  Also, taking a class on programming is a good bet.  Most colleges have plenty of them.  Also being a responsible/respectful player on a mud for a few years (5+) is a good start as well.

I doubt that anyone out there will just say "Sure, here's my code" to someone that they don't know and can't trust.

Again, best bet:  Read, take a class, etc.

-Moridian

gutterzombie 10-15-2003 12:54 PM

thanks any sugestions on what books?

wedsaz 10-15-2003 03:04 PM

"C Primer Plus" By Stephen Prata

You may also want to get knoppix at so you can use a free compiler and learn by yourself.

As for a coder job, keep an eye out on these forums for new muds looking for a coder. They obviously can't expect you to have played there for 5+ years.

Word of warning: learning to code will take months even if that's what you do all day every day. If you go to school and have some kind of social life, then it may take years.

Ike 10-15-2003 03:27 PM

C for Dummies Vol 1 and 2 are two of the best books I have ever purchased. I recommend them.

the_logos 10-15-2003 03:44 PM

Delerak 10-15-2003 09:06 PM

Get your hands on some code, and look at it. Examine it, rip it apart with your thirst for knowledge. You want to know what a certain thing does THEN go to your books. The way I always learned was by looking at it, trying to figure out why. And some people will tell you don't do that, just accept it and keep learning the commands, which is fine, but I always learned by looking at other people's work and figuring out what that did by reading C books, and stuff.

-Delerak

gutterzombie 10-16-2003 10:09 AM

heh yea thats how i learn best also but no one would let me get near code not that i would not blame them donno if i would want a n00b messing with code from my mu* though i think there are ways to limit what one could code... but yea

Eagleon 10-16-2003 02:30 PM

You can download your own codebase, you don't need to code on someone else's MUD. Not to make a playable MUD, but just to be able to do what you want with it. You'll need something that you can compile, first off, and hopefully something you're familiar with. Look around.

visko 11-12-2003 10:29 AM

karlan 11-13-2003 02:52 AM

Depending on the codebase you do not need to do the linux thing... DO NOT get me wrong I prefer linux, and would recommend a *NIX box for if you open it, but if you are interested in seeing and experimenting for yourself, do it on an OS you are comfortable with, with tools you are comfortable with. Don't try and learn, C, linux, how makefiles work, what arguments are needed with gnu cpp and the rest. No matter what OS you are working on the MU provides the same (kind of) services.

It is a TCP server application, supporting multiple clients, and maintaining a database. If you are keen to learn linux as well, go for it, if you aren't ready yet, stick to what you know until you are. If you are planning on later opening it to the world, then you can learn to write platform independant code at the same time.

have a look at it has links to a few codebases, choose one, download it, and as said before, modify, test, modify test... and so on.

Iluvatar 11-13-2003 08:02 AM

Gets a premonition this guy will be the master coder for The_Logos in 2 years.

Spazmatic 11-14-2003 12:08 AM

Advantages to Delerak's technique:
-> You start being able to do basic things a lot faster.
-> You learn real, applicable things.
-> You get used to real styles.
-> You get experienced with mud code, in particular, at the same time as you're learning about code in general.
-> You don't have to read as much long, long text, often obfsucated and dull.
-> Raw experience.
-> You learn hacks.

Disadvantages:
-> You learn hacks.
-> You often miss critical information about things... There are a LOT of details out there, no one in the world remembers them all.
-> You get next to no theory, something that is vital to creative generation (especially of algorithms).
-> You're heavily rooted to one codebase, one language.
-> You miss out on good programming style, software engineering techniques, etc...
-> You learn the original coders problems/deficiencies.

It's hard to say which is the better approach... Some people propose that everyone learns to code in a language like Scheme, which is clean, algorithmically purty, and hard to create hacks with, but is also fast, and completely unlike any popular language. Some people say everyone should learn C, C, and C. Some people recommend all book learning. Some people recommend reading code, hacking at it, and using other sources as support.

Your choice of book will be strongly influenced by choices like that...