Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Apologies/Identity Theft (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1238)

Ytrewtsu 07-28-2003 10:47 AM

I am writing this note as a warning to all mud administrators out there. I am the implementor of Adventures Unlimited and we recently had to get rid of a problem player.... I have tried to stay quiet and not create a flame war out of this (and I don't really intend to make it a flame war now)

Anyways his most recent tactic is to sign onto muds and use spam advertising as a way to promote/demean Adventures Unlimited. He is using the names (so far that I know of)

Ytrewtsu - me
Jirah - my wife

The last known address I saw was
sdn-ap-039dcwashP0333.dialsprint.net (207.9.129.79)

This person in no way represents Adventures Unlimited and is not me or anyone else from my mud. I apologize for the problems he is causing.

Ytrewtsu
Implementor at Adventures Unlimited (au.betterbox.net 5000)

Khadgar 07-28-2003 11:36 AM

I really hope you werent inferring to me as the problem player who is slanderizing Jirah and your names.  That is slander within itself.  If you would like to make a legal issue out of it by all means do.  Just because somebody might have a motive does not make them guilty.  Just because somebody has a similar IP address to somebody else does not make them guilty nor does it make them somebody else.  I can assure you that I am not the only one that has issues with your mud as I have seen many while I played there.  Nevertheless, the person who is slanderizing you (if any) were probably affiliated with your mud and it is my personal opinion that you should take responsibility for your actions.  In conclusion, dont point fingers at me or anyone else for that matter without proof.  Believe me when I say I am completely done with Adventures Unlimited and I would never like to hear that name again.  I have more important things in my life now such as college and making a mud of my own.  Good day.

Ytrewtsu 07-28-2003 11:47 AM

Actually I did not mention your name.

The address I posted in the above note was provided by another administrator from another mud. Although I do find it highly coincidental that it is very close to your address as I knew it.

Y

KaVir 07-28-2003 06:10 PM

No, it's not. Slander is oral. It is not possible to slander someone on a mud.

Fifi 07-28-2003 08:28 PM

Yes, slander is verbal and libel is written.

As for the legal ramifications

Disclaimer: Fifi is not a lawer, she does not hold herself out as a lawer. The following is Fifi's understanding of the laws surrounding libel, in no way is it intended as legal advice. Please do not try to sue Fifi for practicing law without a liscense or legal malpractice. Fifi is broke.

The truth is an absolute defense to libel. Should you wish to the above mentioned people with names that cannot be spelled phonetically, and which the author of this post is too lazy to look up, they would only have to prove that in fact someone had been spamming other muds with their advertisements. However, anyone with time to waste and the filing fee can sue anyone for anything. They have to be pretty good to prevail. Additionally, those bring frivolous suits face penalities, as the courts object to having their time wasted. Additionally, many of these cases are dismissed rather than litigated. Often the first motion filed on behalf of the defense is a motion to dismiss.

But wait! Don't dispair! You could try to get on Judge Judy and you can get five minutes of fame and a scathing scolding to go with your dimissal.

Now, the mud in question could not sue you slander or libel. They could however sue you for harrassment. And if they could show damages they could probably win. However, they probably will not unless you make a real nuisance of yourself as lawsuits are expensive, and if they win, they's probably get less than they'd spend in lawyer fees, though I believe in many jurisdictions they would be entitled to court costs. And finally, you probably don't have anything.