Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advertising for Players (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   4dimensions.... rp mud? (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6761)

Sarias 05-10-2012 11:31 AM

4dimensions.... rp mud?

After hearing the 4dimensions was chosen as one of the suggested for roleplay for newbie players, I thought I would give an honest, unbiased opinion.

I have been roleplaying since I was eleven, so almost thirteen years now, I have experienced many different types of roleplay atmospheres. Everything from Harry Potter to Star Wars. Muds, text based forums, and also Moos. I was the roleplay admin for two places Magical-hogwarts.org and also a Moo that i will not mention, because they would kill me for taking a hiatus. Lol. So I believe I am qualified to make some sort of opinion.

So, 4dimensions, is it a good rp mud? Or is it just hack and slash? Let me give you pros, cons, examples, and you can decide for yourself.

Pros:
1)The room descriptions are gorgeous. I can tell the creators put a lot of time into creating a world for people to interact in.
2) The world has a day and night system, and also a time system. This is a necessary ingredient for a roleplay atmosphere.
3) They have a clan system, both rp enforced and not. Each clan has their own history, characteristics, and politics. When you join a clan, you join a value system that the clan brings to the world. You can be a jedi, a vampire, a dominatrix, in the mafia, or even a knight of the round table.
4) There is a relationship system, you can choose who to date, marry, sleeparound with, whatever your rp tendencies may be... Lets leave it at that.
5) You can perze items for rp purposes. Need a whip to keep men in line, you can have one created. Need certain garments for your character, you can have those created too.
6) Lastly, they have all the necessary tools for rp including emote. They have a reward system for roleplaying which is handed out in points. You can buy titles, eq, enter and exit descriptions, etc.

Cons:
1) The emote command is seriously limited. I love being able to type long roleplays at once, and having to be hindered by the emote command is absolutely annoying. Right now it only allows you to type 100 words and then cuts off. So you are constantly having to go back and split up your rp.
2) Since this is a mud heavily based on questing and killing, rp seems to be limited. It does not mean rp doesnt happen, it just means there is not much focus on it.
3) Rp campaigns are few and far between, but when they happen they are very cool to be apart of.
4) Players tend to go bring ic info into ooc life. I have been apart of this mud since 2004, and I can tell you first hand that this can be a problem. This mainly happens between clans, and it is a bit sad to see people get verbally assualted for roles they choose to play. The immortals of the game have done a nice job trying to calm people down, but it does not mean it doesnt still happen.

These are the pros and the cons, all of these are my personal opinions. Lastly, I want to provide an example of some of the rp that does happen. If you decide you like this mud.. And aren't afraid of my opinions, feel free to give it a try. I have experienced a lot of good roleplay over the years in this mud, and would hate to see that rp die away.

Signing off,
Sarias

Sarias 05-10-2012 11:44 AM

Re: 4dimenions.... rp mud?

Yes I know the title has a typo in it. I can't fix it now lol.

Lasher 05-10-2012 12:41 PM

Fixed it for you. (In the main thread title, curiously there's no admin comment to edit just a post title).

Sarias 05-10-2012 12:45 PM

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!