Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Announcements (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Interview with Dr. Richard Bartle (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3541)

the_logos 09-21-2006 06:39 PM

There's an interview I did recently with Dr. Bartle (inventor of MUDs) up on my blog:

Enjoy!
--matt

Luvan 09-22-2006 12:19 AM

Progenitor says, “If you can get someone to play one for an hour, you’ve got them indefinitely.”

Is that really true? I guess I am exception.

Whats up with the light text on a light background?

Anyway, I am jealous. Have you played Oblivion? It seems somewhat have the type of AI you where mentioning.

Kylotan 09-22-2006 03:17 AM

As I see it, Oblivion has very little in the way of innovative AI, and probably nothing text muds haven't had for a long time.

Gromble 09-22-2006 09:20 AM

Does anyone else feel that Richard Bartle gets too much deference?

Having read several interview and articles, I find myself in agreement with some of his views and completely at odds with others.  And I think that underscores how virtual worlds are a subjective experience, and what tickles one person may not another.

I give him credit for being an early innovator, but have a hard time swallowing everything he says as the right or wrong way to build virtual worlds.

the_logos 09-22-2006 12:05 PM

the_logos 09-22-2006 12:08 PM

I'd agree. He's not automatically right. Even credited on his book, I find disagreements with certain parts of it. Sometimes he, like everyone, mixes together what he wishes were true with what is true. For instance, he wrote that to have a good game you should first aim for a good virtual world, but a couple lines later he admits that WoW is not a good virtual world. (It's certainly a good game.)

Nevertheless, he has a lot of experience, and is worth paying attention to for that reason alone.
--matt

Brody 09-22-2006 01:07 PM

We invited him to FidoCon, and I wish he could have attended, because whether one always agrees with him, it's definitely valuable to hear his thoughts on the state of virtual worlds and what the latest generation of games might mean to our own.

Thanks for posting the interview!

Sanvean 09-22-2006 01:37 PM

Nice interview! I think one of the hardest issues text muds face is how to get those new users to try it for an hour. One thing we talked about doing at sf conventions is setting up a computer and letting people watch what's happening in a tavern room on the game world, to see whether or not that can hook them. I think it's the people who really like to read who are the lasting generation of mudders, but who knows?

Sanvean/Cat Rambo

the_logos 09-23-2006 02:23 PM

Do you guys do much promoting at conventions? That's something I've not really experimented with. I've spoken at places like Dragoncon, but we've never set up a booth or anything, primarily because setting up something that really looks professional is reportedly quite expensive.

--matt

Sanvean 09-23-2006 03:50 PM

We have done tables at DragonCon a couple of times, with handouts on them and people hanging out to talk about the game. It's always been fun, but it's usually been a player-driven assemblage.

Sanvean/Cat Rambo
-