Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advertising for Players (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   230+ zones, 25.000+ rooms, millions of wilderness (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743)

Hephos 05-05-2003 11:46 AM

Come check us out:

World maps:

Mason 05-05-2003 01:26 PM

Your webpages says you're DIKU based, and yet you have a PayPal link on the pages. Care to clarify?

Orion Elder 05-05-2003 01:54 PM

I'm not associated with the above MUD... however, the link I saw was for donations. I assume by your statement you were implying that is in some way against the license, which it is not (this was clarified to me by Hans-Henrik, as well).

The DikuMUD team can not control what you do on your webpage, nor do they wish to (as long as you're not charging for access to DikuMUD code, or the like). You can sell MUD-related materials via your MUD's website (Hans-Henrik even told me they encourage this method of supporting your MUD). MUD-related, I should define, means materials related to the concept and theme of your MUD... not DikuMUD related.

If, however, I have misunderstood the intent of your statement, I apologize.

But, if you have any questions about this you might want to speak with Hans-Henrik... he seems to be extremely willing to provide information both about the intent of the license and ways that you can do certain things without violating it. When I questioned him about paying coders (and whether they felt it would be a violation of their license), he explained the intent behind the license and then provided me examples of ways that one could pay their coder without putting that coder in violation of the license (both in their eyes, and in the eyes of the license).

Mason 05-05-2003 04:11 PM

The reason I asked the original poster to clarify what the link was for was because I realize that it could have been for different reasons. I didn't accuse them of breaking the license, but I still think they should clarify as to what extent, and under what circumstances, they accept money.

Orion Elder 05-05-2003 05:24 PM

Hephos 05-05-2003 06:03 PM

All i can say to this is...

Yes, we do accept donations, and we do sell merchandise with our theme pictures or logos. Currently all "profit" goes into the server upkeep costs. We have atm enough to last for a couple months.

Our "real" game is also currently in development closed to public (which is based on java code). With its own client, editor and server engine. It will be a commercial pay2play mud. It has NOTHING to do with diku, and we will be happy to prove it to anyone that wanna dig their nose deeper.

Up until then we run our old diku based mud. And we accept donations, which is not against their license. In fact, they encourage getting donations off the game (when you don't give in-game benefts for accepting them).

Larger donations will also give players free premiun subscriptions in our new game, possibly for lifetime.

Have fun out there!

Ps. We haven't made any "profit" off our cafeshop merchandise yet, but might in the future.

If you run a mud, and have some nice logos or theme pictures, why not open up a shop of your own, maybe get some nice advertisement from people wearing YOUR MUD t-shirt, and a small income for the server upkeep costs.

Check out