Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advanced MUD Concepts (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Advanced Stat Systems (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51)

Eagleon 06-02-2003 03:27 PM

I've been thinking for a while what it would take to make things a bit more realistic for the generic physical stats. I came up with this half-done system that could let you actually have different "physiques" for differently played characters.

Strength: The strength stat would be split into two parts, the first being total muscle mass, the second being the ratio between slow-twitch (weightlifter) muscle, and fast-twitch (sprinter) muscle. Of course, there'd have to be a maximum of muscle-mass possible on a body. As you do certain tasks, your total muscle mass will increase, and either slow-twitch (STM from now on) or fast-twitch (FTM) will go up. When you stop doing physical activity for a while, your muscle mass will slowly decrease, possibly replaced by fat. This could all be shown when you look at someone as several different body types, set by immortals, making a person's appearance much more fluid and realistic. Maybe you could even have different limbs keep their own stats, so as to have even more realism?

Speed: Reaction and movement speed would be determined by the extra mass (fat, taller stature, equipment, other people...) you carry, and the amount and type of muscle on your body. FTM would contribute to your speed in general, and STM to the ability to carry more without effects on your speed.

I'm not sure exactly how to do constitution/endurance, except by splitting it up into other things. Pain tolerance could be a skill or a stat, depending on how you look at it. Poison/disease resistance would be a stat. Physical endurance, ie, hitpoints... I have to say I'd rather not have that improve much beyond what you're born with. A slit throat will kill a professional wrestler just as well as a middle-aged office worker. However, muscle, skin, and fat does protect a little, so there has to be something in there. Of course, you may just leave your hitpoints alone...

All of the numbers I'd leave out of players hands. I hate numbers, and I like the way some MUDs are abandoning showing your stats. It'd also be much more easily exploited, and ruin the point of having such a complex system, that is to make things look reasonably realistic to the end audience, if people were able to exploit it by crunching numbers.

Any other thoughts?

OnyxFlame 06-03-2003 10:36 AM

Eagleon 06-03-2003 11:12 PM

BugTussle 06-04-2003 12:31 AM

My personal favorite stat system is off of Warhammer. If I were to build my own mud, I'd start from there.

It allows for strength, movement, weapon and bow skills, initiatives, int and wis .... I've not found a better system yet. If I could convince our IMP to change the stat system, that is where I would aim him.

Spazmatic 06-05-2003 07:14 PM

I think the key thing to notes about stat systems (and you guys bring up some great points) is to develop them for the target environment.

There is no "best" stat system. If your developing a political intrigue mud, you may only want 1 or 2 physical stats, and instead focus the microscope on mental/personality stats. Or, on the other hand, you may decide that mental/personality aspects should come through roleplay (still working on the same imaginary mud), and thus avoid them all together.

Also, on the subject of stat displays... I imagine a nice system might be to utilize the now common alphabetical displays ("You have godlike strength" etc...), except to only display them for the top few stats... After all, if I'm a weight lifter, I'm more likely to have a good idea of how big and buff I am then my IQ. However, if my craft focused on intellectual prowess, it'd be a good idea to keep my IQ numbers handy. Thus, you can still give the player a good feel without messing things up and allowing min/maxers.

karlan 06-28-2003 06:26 PM