Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   RIP: Farrah and Michael (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5596)

Brody 06-25-2009 06:53 PM

RIP: Farrah and Michael

It's a sad day for us old-timers:

Both Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson - icons of the 70s and 80s - have died today.

Yes, Jackson had his personal demons and issues, but he was abundantly talented and gave the world some memorable music.

They'll be missed.

Delerak 06-25-2009 07:18 PM

Re: RIP: Farrah and Michael

I can't see how they had any impact on the world. Farrah was hot though. I should buy a poster of her or something. I don't think I'll miss them. I didn't really know either of them. I'll probably forget about it tomorrow when I'm doing something that's actually important rather than checking the forums on TMS.

Brody 06-25-2009 07:23 PM

You're right. It's not like it's Megan Fox and Justin Timberlake ;)

Delerak 06-25-2009 07:25 PM

Or I dunno. Einstein, FDR. Hell Paul Newman was pretty cool. I like his food.

Mabus 06-25-2009 07:25 PM

Re: RIP: Farrah and Michael AND Ed McMahon

Let's not forget Ed McMahon while we are at it.

Bad month for entertainers.

Delerak 06-25-2009 07:36 PM

Takin' it off here boss..

Yeeah takin' it off there Dragline..

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.."

WarHound 06-25-2009 09:55 PM

In musical history, like it or not, very, very few people have had as much influence as Michael Jackson. Not only the songs he himself wrote and recorded but for those he inspired. A number of years ago I seem to remember that his face was one of the most recognizeable in the world, up there with Ghandi and Christ. Saying he had no influence on the world is absurd.

Farrah Fawcett, eh. Most people growing up in the last thirty years in the western world are going to remember the Angels.

Still. Little Micheal is going to be missed by this rocker.

Delerak 06-25-2009 11:15 PM

Mike Tyson was supposedly the most "recognizable" person ever at the peak of his career. Who gives a ****?

And I don't think I've ever seen Jesus' face. Unless you mean that interpretation that every single artist tends to go with. Oh that.

Milawe 06-26-2009 04:06 AM

RIP! I still love watching the Thriller video. It brings back wonderful memories of the 80s.

Threshold 06-26-2009 04:22 AM

Michael Jackson made a significant impact on the world through his art. Music, like any other form of art, has real value to us as people. It is a shame that people in their 20s and younger only know Michael Jackson as a freak and possible pedophile. Those of us in our 30s or older remember the 70s/80s/90s Michael Jackson who was truly a gifted artist and performer.

Lanthum 06-26-2009 07:00 AM

It is a weird situation ... on one hand it is so obvious that Michael positively influenced both the musical world and (for lack of a better phrase) the "Pop Culture" world. He gave us some great music and inspired potentially thousands of others that have continued to create. He also donated time and money to various causes and organizations throughout his career.

But on the other hand, he lived his personal life in such a way that at times he greatly contradicted his positive influence. And worse, if even one of the many allegations are true, completely undermined any good he did.

So while his passing is definitely sad and noteworthy ... I fail to see why so many people are getting so emotional over his death. While Delerak's statements seemed brash and bordeline crass, I would have to agree - he wasn't Einstein, Mother Teresa, or Ronald Reagan.

WarHound 06-26-2009 08:12 AM

It's not much of a stretch to say he changed the world. He was a huge part of exporting, for better or worse, American culture to the world at large. The past thirty years have seen alot of nasty divisions in mankind with politics, religion, wars, etc etc, but it's the rare corner of the world that didn't share an affection for Billy Jean and We are the World. ;) After China opened up due to Nixon's visit, MJ was one of the first American performers to play there and had a positive influence on China's relations with the West.

scandum 06-26-2009 08:24 AM

What strikes me as weird is that they don't mention the type of cancer Farrah Fawcett died of.

WarHound 06-26-2009 08:49 AM

Anal cancer.

Delerak 06-26-2009 11:56 AM

No doubt the guy was a legend in the music industry. I just don't put artists, entertainers, singers, etc, up on pedestals like other people do. The guy is dead, people die everyday and that's that. Wasting millions of dollars to show him on every single news station is what really grinds my gears.

Estarra 06-26-2009 04:44 PM

If no one cared, then he wouldn't be on every single news station! It's a win-win situation insofar as the public gets what it wants (sensational coverage) and the stations get what they want (more advertising money).

Right or wrong, some people transcend who they are and thus icons are born. I must admit that I've gotten a bit nostalgic with the passing of MJ and Farrah. Then again, I am of a 'certain age' when they were a huge part of the culture of the time. If you are under 35, then you probably don't realize how big Farrah was. I remember guys drooling over her in Logan's Run and all the talk in high school was about Farrah the day after a Charlie's Angels episode. To get a true feeling of her impact, just open up any yearbook in the late 70's/early 80's and you will see Farrah's 'feathered' hairstyle being copied by almost every girl in every age group. She was the Marilyn Monroe of the time--or maybe comparable to Angelina Jolie now.

There is currently no one right now comparable to Michael Jackson, so if you weren't around in his heyday, it's hard to articulate. MJ was as big as Sinatra or Elvis or the Beatles. Admittedly, he went off my radar in the 90's but hearing about his death and seeing the retrospectives on television has brought up a lot of memories for me.

Yes, people die every day, but not all people are icons. For me (and I imagine others), their deaths mark the passing of symbols that shaped the culture of the time we grew up in. So forgive us for tuning into the media coverage and allow us to indulge in a bit of reminiscing.

Threshold 06-26-2009 06:27 PM

Estarra: Very well said.

Jazuela 06-26-2009 11:00 PM

Don't mind Delerak, he's just mad because he missed out on getting a genuine hand-signed poster of Farrah, and stumbled at the prom when he tried to moonwalk.

:)

Delerak 06-27-2009 11:38 AM

It's true. I miss them both so much! Whhhhhhy cruel world! WHHYYYYY!! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE OUR BELOVED ICONS FROM US!?

Mabus 06-27-2009 12:58 PM

So...

Farrah Fawcett gets to the pearly gates, and St. Peter says, "You have inspired millions with your public fight against cancer. As such, we have decided to grant you one wish!"

Farrah thinks for a second, and says, "I wish for all the children of the world to be safe!"

Suddenly, Michael Jackson appears next to her.

(What? To soon?)