Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Announcements (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   FidoCon: Coming in September! (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3793)

Brody 08-09-2006 01:21 PM

During the weekend of Sept. 8-10, OtherSpace: New Journeys (jointhesaga.com 1790) will host a free, open-to-everyone online event called FidoCon to promote continued interest in text-based gaming.

We're looking for guest speakers who want to do any of the following during the event:

* Give workshops (on coding, describing/building, roleplaying, etc.)
* Promote code engines or coded systems for various engines
* Promote specific games in general or talk about special events upcoming at those games
* Join panel discussions on issues ranging from the survival of text games in a graphical age to pay-to-play versus free games to...well, if you've got other topics in mind for panels, we'll probably be open to them!

On the weekend after the online con, we're going to present the first Fido Awards. Before we can present those, we need:

* Nominees in the categories of Best Overall Text-Based Online RPG, Best Sci-Fi Text-Based Online RPG, Best Horror Text-Based Online RPG, Best Fantasy Text-Based Online RPG, Best Historical-Theme Text-Based Online RPG, Best Modern-Theme Text-Based Online RPG, Best Multi-Genre Text-Based Online RPG, and Best Text-Based Online RPG Community Website. (The last category would include such nominees as Top MUD Sites, The MUD Connector, Online Gaming Resource, etc.) NOTE: For the first Fido Awards, at least, the games of jointhesaga.com will be ineligible for nomination as we're hosting the show and it's not about us.

* Volunteers to serve as judges for the Fido Awards. Basically, these individuals will visit the nominated games and sites before turning in their scores.

The awards will be distributed live in real-time during a special ceremony at OtherSpace: New Journeys. We'll provide special icons that winning games/sites can display on their web pages.

We should have a FidoCon website up within the next week or so at

Until it's up, however, feel free to contact me at with games and sites you'd like to see nominated or to volunteer as a guest speaker or judge in the competition.

See you there!

P.S.: The online con gets its name not from the old BBS gathering in the late 1980s, but from the rabid fidos that inhabit so many of the early MUDs.

Brody 08-12-2006 08:45 AM

BUMP!

Legends of Karinth, MUME, and Shadows of Isildur are just a few of the games nominated so far for the Fido Awards at FidoCon. We're also looking for judges in that competition and for guest speakers on a variety of topics - including MU* hosting and world design. If you're from an RP MUD and want to bring a group to run a short scene to demonstrate your stuff, that's cool too.

Just drop me a line at .

Luvan 08-12-2006 02:26 PM

More bump

How is the turnout so far. I do not think there is much I could do or really want to do, just wondering how many people you have because I often ponder the "state" of things in the mud community.

Brody 08-12-2006 04:20 PM

Pretty good response from people who want to attend and who want to nominate their favorite games. Not as much as I'd like so far for people to be guest speakers to promote their projects and games.

It'll pick up, I think!

Baram 08-18-2006 01:13 AM

Sounds interesting, too bad I'll be in Osaka on business that weekend. Good luck.

Btw, I removed the "bump" only post since they already served its purpose.

Lark 08-18-2006 02:41 AM

Baram 08-18-2006 02:51 AM

Brody 08-18-2006 10:25 AM

It's going to be in a special area of OtherSpace. All anyone will *have* to see of OS is the main out-of-character room when they create, and then it's into the convention center area. No OS promo stuff in the convention zone - it'll be MU* neutral!

Brody 08-19-2006 06:42 PM

The temporary FidoCon website is now up at

We'll hopefully get something more permanent (and pretty) up ASAP!

Ilkidarios 08-19-2006 09:38 PM

I like the graphic at the top of the page, it cracks me up. When you guys make a new web page, you gotta keep that dog graphic.

Brody 08-20-2006 09:20 AM

Well, we've actually commissioned a more rabid-looking Fido from an artist to be our mascot. So, we'll see what happens!

Ilkidarios 08-20-2006 10:58 AM

Hey, since you're not going to use it anymore, would you mind if I saved it onto my computer? I mean, I don't know about all the copyrighting and what-not, so that's why I'm asking.

Alexander Tau 08-20-2006 11:03 AM

Have you considered a web-based RSVP sort of system? It would be nice to have an ever-growing list of people who plan to attend on the Site.

I certainly plan to be there, and I will bring a few friends.

A.T
(-)

Brody 08-20-2006 12:40 PM

Feel free. It's clip art.

Brody 08-20-2006 12:41 PM

Brody 08-20-2006 12:50 PM

The RSVP page is now online at

Brody 08-21-2006 06:26 PM

I've updated the RSVP page to include a list of games that are currently nominated in various categories for the Fido Awards. Check 'em out at

Brody 08-22-2006 09:45 PM

The *official* FidoCon mascot image is now on the RSVP page at

We'll have an updated FidoCon site online this weekend, most likely.

Brody 08-23-2006 09:06 PM

Most of the logos for the various Fido Award categories are now online in the FidoCon RSVP page at

Check em out!

Ilkidarios 08-23-2006 09:31 PM

I like the artist you comissioned's style, reminds me of some of the weird 70's paintings my dad used to have hung around the house.