Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advertising for Staff (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Developing RP MUD Seeks Staff (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3077)

Nutai 08-06-2005 01:47 PM

Hi there. My name is Nutai, and I help to lead a project team that is developing a new roleplaying game. This game is based upon the theory that a strong code and well thought out design can keep a game world interesting and fluid enough to support top-notch RP.

We believe that we have come up with some creative and detailed design, and even have models coded to demonstrate the effectiveness of some of the more unique ideas. I can’t get into great detail here without making this post extraordinarily long, but one of our central design themes revolves around putting a living economy into place. Once a reasonable approximation of supply and demand is set up, players can take meaningful actions in order to secure their wealth. Trade routes would allow players to serve as caravan guards or raiders. Racial and cultural aspects to the preferences of particular goods might have bakers or blacksmiths or farmers scrambling to meet the current desires of the populace and even competing with one another to build better reputations.

Another main design theme revolves around skill systems that go one step beyond levelless or classless, instead allowing talented characters to create their own abilities in-game and teach them to others. Beyond the enjoyment of creating your own school of fighting maneuvers, magic spells, or crafting, there is a lot of roleplaying potential behind it. Say that you start up a new school of axe fighting. The masters and teachers of the local sword fighting techniques may view you as a potential threat to their business and influence in town. Suppose that the only blacksmith in town able to make decent axe heads disappears a month or two later. What do you do? Go after the sword fighters to see if they were involved? Try to convince another blacksmith to come to town? Cut off their supply of steel because you know that these sword fighters are haughty and will only fight with steel blades?

Again, I won’t flood you with details here, but hopefully the above helps to demonstrate our line of thinking and to show you why we are convinced that a roleplaying game employing such systems would be a lot of fun.

We are presently looking for coders with some experience in Java to assist our coding team. That team is led by Josia, our professional software engineer, who is eager to help teach potential contributors who might need a bit of guidance. We are also looking for creative and positive minds to join our design team. We have some pretty good ideas in place, but our design work is far from over, and we welcome all ideas and perspectives and have found that additional input only helps to strengthen our creative process.

If anyone is interested in joining this project, please send an email to . I will be happy to discuss any questions that you might have.

Nutai 08-12-2005 11:03 AM

We've got a pleasantly large number of replies to this request for assistance, and have been contacted by a variety of interesting and talented individuals. We can always use more help, however, as developing a new game system and code base takes a lot of work.

Any aspiring game designer, and especially any interested Java coders are again welcome to contact me. Thanks.

P.S. Mr. Cofer, if you are reading this, my emails to you appear to not be getting through. If this is the case, please provide me with another way to contact you.

Benreece 08-13-2005 09:06 AM

Sounds good. Tell me when you have finished it so I can play it.

Nutai 08-14-2005 07:29 PM

Wow. I'm still getting quite a few replies to this ad, which is amazing. I really appreciate everyone taking an interest.

Just a couple of clarifications:

We are still in the earlier stages of development, so there is no building or active RPing going on right now, nor will there be for some time. We won't be open to players for even longer, though we will be certain to announce when we are.

Also, if any game designers or coders are interested, please be sure to include some information regarding your history with coding, MUDs, or roleplaying games in general, as well as what you do and don't like to see in an RP MUD. This helps me to figure out where you're coming from, and I'll just end up asking for it after your first email, anyway.

Again, we always welcome more help, so please feel free to email me at if you are interested.