Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Another looking for mud post (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6387)

Altruan 02-13-2011 04:29 AM

Another looking for mud post

Hey all

I am old mud player from way back who used to be active on discworld mud.

That really isn't what I'm looking for anymore and I am hoping for some guidance.

I am looking for a mud which is more hack and slash focused, with a highly developed crafting system (would prefer if 90% odd of the end game item trade came from other players). Preferably one the doesn't require returning to an inn or similar to log out and that allows you to keep all items (at times I look to play during train rides and having to stay close to a log out point for the 20 minute ride annoys me).

Most importantly I am looking for one with a lot of player interaction with each other. Either through role play enforced with a need for seeking out others (please note though, if this is the case I also want a logical IC reason I'm hacking and slashing) or through a very active ooc channel(s), although by very active I don't mean you talk with Your Friends a lot and group with them a lot, so they must be the same for newbies or there are 3-4 people who constantly argue about finance, politics or news. Both of those would be even better. (also, sorry if that seems harsh but I don't see the point in hanging around for months to find out the mud I've joined isn't just taking a while to make contacts in, but is just where people who have been coming for a long time keep coming to catch up with friends and are very helpful to newbies and questions, but will neve be inclusive of new players... Which seems to be a lot now. I also don't see the point in playing a game with 50-200 odd people just so once in a blue moon I can group with them, makes the social aspect redundant).

Heathen 02-13-2011 10:31 AM

Re: Another looking for mud post

My MUD of choice is NCMUD (ncmud.org:9000) and it is hack 'n slash as you desire and has a strong focus on player interaction. However at the moment it usually only has a few active players on at a time. Most of the players have been around for a few years but newbies are brought into the fold rather quickly, if you log in and see a character named Booth for instance he has been playing a little less than a year, but you might ask how long it took before he felt "home" on NC - and I think he will tell you it wasn't long.

So like I said right now there might not be that many players on during our less active hours, but at night we usually have a good 4-10 distinct players - and I'm actively trying to get more as you can see :)

Our crafting system is really basic to be honest, but it does account for a large portion of the higher end trade items. Players don't craft items from scratch but can affect change on items gathered in game improving the items or by destroying them (it's quite a risk!).

To log out it is generally enough to recall to the main town and lose link, or return to the receptionist in the hotel - if one joins a club a receptionist is provided in the club house. Rent is free.

Roleplaying is not enforced or necessarily desired - the MUD is varied and split into two parts, a "modern" part and "D&D" part, you will find zones like Narnia and Xanth on one end of the spectrum and zones like Silicon Nightmare or The X-Files on the other. It really makes for an entertaining game. Also NC is one of the largest free MUDs around, as it started in 1992 and has been actively developed more or less since then (it is based off of the original VieMUD code, which was based off of the gamma release of Diku).

I hope you will check it out if it sounds like something you might like!

Altruan 02-13-2011 04:15 PM

Thank you for the suggestion heathen, it sounds like an interesting concept but since I live in Australia I don't get much of a chance to get online American night times. Means I wouldnt see anyone except maybe on some weekends.

I should also clarify that I'm not looking for instant acceptance and friends, I'm just trying to avoid a mud where there is no social interaction occurring. Sometimes if I don't have much time it's nice to just join in a general conversation. One mud I was in however had a dead chat channel and generally only held conversations between friends. Even after 6 months playing fairly regularly trying to join in the conversations resulted in either being ignored or, if they liked the comment, maybe a tell with lmao or a emoted chuckle to me. They answered every question I asked about the game however, so they were newbie player friendly.

Newworlds 02-13-2011 09:31 PM

G'day mate. I'd like to tell you a few reasons why you should play New Worlds Ateraan.

First off, we have several players from Australia playing, not to mention numerous players from around the world so there are always players to roleplay with constantly. You will find groups during any hour of any day of the year.

I'm also old school and so is NWA, so you will get that good feel for quality game play, while also enjoying the new features on the game like the crafting, shipping, caravans, invasions, et al.

Unfortunately NWA is a intensive roleplay enforced game, not focused on hack and slash, however, reading the rest of your post I think you are looking for a system like ours. There is pleanty of adventure especially in groups where you may find as many as ten players on an adventure and upwards of fifty together during invasions. But you will also find that two to four groupings as well for exciting questing and such.

We have two guilds specificallly dedicated to roleplay and crafting. Don't get me wrong though. NWA doesn't make everything in the game in these guilds, and crafting is a hugely complicated thing where you have to find fifty items to make a torch. But the mix of roleplay and crafting with smooth functionality is bliss.

Amen brotha. I can't stand that either and neither can the players of NWA. All equipment is saved on exit no matter where you are. There are caveats however, as there should be, if you quit in the middle of a dangerous area don't be suprised if you wake up running for your life! :D

That is what we are all about. Lots of players, lots of interaction, and a helluva lot of roleplay.

The game is intense and indepth and you will always have reasons for your adventuring.

There are specific ooc channels and ic channels in the game for specific purposes. We like to think of Ateraan as a game that is like old school table top D&D where friends sit around a big table, interact, roleplay, and adventure. But we also like to keep the OOC very seperate so you can feel the intensity of your gaming. This is done in a magnificent way in NWA so that you can be a part of a community while also seperating enough to dislike someone in character while being friends out of character.

NWA is probably the best roleplay enforced game out there for quality players that also is an excellent place for new players to begin. We have a staff and players who are more than helpful to new players and a system setup so you can become an important and intergral part of this epic story.

It doesn't happen overnight, but in a short while you can become one with a multitude of groups in the game.

Let's face it, put another shrimp on the barbi and feast on the excitement that will meet you at New Worlds Ateraan. We'll be waiting for you!