Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Newbie Help (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Looking for the right mud (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5439)

akdms 03-14-2009 10:39 PM

Looking for the right mud

Hi,

I haven't played MUDs in a while and want to get back into them. I used to play CyberSphere, but am looking for another game. I'm looking for a free game with no "credits", little to no "grind", and encouraged/enforced RP (though it is nice to have OOC areas). I'm open to perma-death, but would prefer not having it right now. I like the cyberpunk/post apocalypse genres, though I know those are few and far between. The player base doesn't need to be huge, though I'd like it to be healthy and well populated.

Wik 03-15-2009 12:29 PM

Re: Looking for the right mud

What exactly do you mean by 'no credits'?

rendekar 03-15-2009 01:36 PM

try ARMAGEDDON mud .. it takes place in a low-fantasy, post-apocalyptic medieval atmosphere..

completely free (no credits)

considerable playerbase and has some die-hard fanatics..

has permadeath though..

Newworlds 03-15-2009 03:52 PM

They mean no games that give you credits to buy things in the game if you pay for them outside of the game. Like $50.00 for 10 credits, etc.

I often wonder why this is a bad thing. Usually, in our world (MUD's included) you get what you pay for. I've played the top games that have credits and they are some of the best games, best managed, and best maintained. Certainly in my top list of games worth your time.

If you think I am plugging games that are pay games or that use credits, I am. Again, you get what you pay for. I have been to at least half of the games in the top 40 on TMS along with a few friends and will verify that the games that charge, do so because you pay for quality and service.

Does New Worlds Ateraan charge? No. But they should. I just derailed this topic though. Sorry about that. I'll create this argument on a different thread.

In answer to your question, I might recommend Armageddon but it is so user unfriendly that I wouldn't suggest it for you if you are looking for RP encouraged game that you can quickly play. It is not really punk apocalyptic but more medeival without the weapons and such that you seem to want.

rendekar 03-15-2009 05:22 PM

Armageddon mud is taking place in a post-apocalyptic medieval environment, not punk-apocalyptic or post-nuclear..

is an online fantasy game in which players jointly inhabit a post-apocalyptic harsh desert and completely textual world.

(first line from the website)

you'll find a few 'near-future' muds

so play Armageddon mud.

Wik 03-16-2009 07:13 AM

Then OtherSpace fits most of your criteria.

1. OtherSpace is free, with no credits.

2. Grind is only for the crafting-types, and nobody else has much. You gain in skills by rp'ing.

3. It's enforced RP.

4. Unfortunately, we do have permadeath, though death is pretty infrequent.

5. The theme technically is a post-apoc setting, though it leans more heavily on sci-fi. It has the make-do-with-little, band together against the crazy outside world, and improvisational qualities of the post-apoc setting, though. The universe was collapsing, and 50,000 refugees streamed into another universe to avoid dying. Now they're the only ones of their kind left, having to survive in this slightly lower-tech universe and make peace (or war) with the alien natives.

6. We have about 30-40 on at peak times, and almost always at least 3-5 willing to rp at any point during the day.

If there's any interest, look at , , or go straight to the source at jointhesaga.com: 1790.