Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How did you find your current MU*? (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1335)

OnyxFlame 02-16-2003 12:18 PM

Nemene 02-16-2003 12:49 PM

Well I play on two MUDs and it varies between which one I play on the most, so I just put down the way I found the one I've been playing on for the longest. The second MUD I found out about through a friend on the first MUD, so technically it could also be an online friend. It was a bit akward to choose one though :|

Realedazed 02-16-2003 12:53 PM

Santrilla 02-16-2003 02:36 PM

Ogma 02-16-2003 02:57 PM

I found Dartmud through a woman I dated a few times. She was a creator there so I started playing. Previously, I'd been a coder on a few MUCKs and the CodeWiz on a MUSH. I continued playing after the 'just friends' speech and eventually became a creator myself.

Songsworn_Draconita 02-16-2003 06:05 PM

Enzo 02-16-2003 06:46 PM

Xerihae 02-17-2003 09:40 AM

The last MUD I actually played at, Legend of the Nobles, I found on Mudconnector.

My current MUD I'm coding myself, but I don't really "play" it so I'm not sure if it counts! Add that to the fact it's not finished yet, and I voted for "Another MU* site".

John 02-17-2003 11:12 AM

It's actually quite a funny story about how I found my very first MUD (which ended up being the third one I ever played).

I was doing a search for online games and came across a link for wotmud. Now this was 1998 so I didn't know anything about muds. The site was completely blank except for a telnet link. Clicked on the link didn't work. Find a couple of other sites that linked to it, still didn't work.

Last yr I read a book called "The Blue Nowhere" that briefly mentions muds. For some reason, I remembered the name to wotmud (probably was messing about with telnet and saw it as a recent place I tried to connect too) and remembered that muds were roleplaying games.

I found the OFFICIAL site for wotmud last yr and remembered it from all those yrs ago. This site had a LOT more detail, and mentioned muds. I still couldn't connect to it, but I did a search on muds in yahoo. I came across here, I saw "Merentha" in first place, clicked on it, saw it had roleplaying, saw the nice and friendly tone, hoped into the game.

It had a very friendly atmosphere, tons to explore and it encouraged roleplay. Well I played it for a week or so, and I helped a newbie kill some easy mobs (a bankers family) and he said "But won't someone know we killed them?" and I said "naaaw, I've killed em dozens of times" and then told someone else what he'd said (cause I thought it was funny, as in a naiieve way, not what a complete idiot this guy was way).

Later I realised I was no longer roleplaying, and that this guy had probably been roleplaying. So I stopped playing it and went in search for a roleplaying mud. I came across Armageddon and haven't left since (have had a break for a week here and there though).

Oh, and a few weeks after joining Armageddon, I finally logged into wotmud. Didn't like it much. LOL! (I've been spoiled by Armageddon).

Keahi 02-19-2003 09:48 PM

I'm always looking for new MUDs to play.

This is no disrespect to the current MUDs I play. Heck, the latest two I've just found are so good, I'll probably be playing them for months to come.

But see, I like being a newbie. I love learning and exploring and the mystique of being somewhere I don't understand and trying to figure out what makes it tick. I also love seeing the different directions people are taking MUDs and discovering all the terrific new features out there.

I have no desire to be the "best" at anything on a MUD. I've no desire to spend lots of RL money and/or endless amounts of time repeating the same actions whatever they may be just to somehow outdo my fellow players. (Who is it who has that great sig, along the lines of "fun cannot be measured by your stats"?) But that's just me. Maybe I lack ambition. Maybe I just have a short attention span.

So yeah, I love having good new MUDs to play. But boy is finding them a chore! Because it's unfortunate but true, 95% of MUDs (if not everything) are crap, so sifting through the dross to find the gems takes some doing.

One tool I've discovered to aid me in this is site devoted to collecting statistics on Richard Bartle's MUD Quotient. You can take the test there and then opt to list the MUDs you play. Now, the thing is, you can view a summary of the recorded quotients of the people of have listed a given MUD, along with a listing of any other MUDs that they entered. Which is incredibly useful, because I can then go look at a MUD I like and see what other games people who play that MUD also think are good.

See, people tend to share sets of tastes and interests. If I like X, Y and Z and you like X, there's more of a chance that you'll like Y or Z than there is of Baz liking them, since he likes A, B and C but not X. This phenomenon has been exploited on the web at least since the days of Firefly and is still put to great use by the likes of Amazon.

I wish TMS had a feature along these lines. T'would help a lot.

K

OnyxFlame 02-22-2003 12:18 PM

Hmmm you really got me thinking.

Sometimes I miss being a newbie. Everything seemed more fun then, even if I didn't understand half of it. When I did something it was really an accomplishment because I'd never done it before and I was figuring out how to do it.

So why do I keep playing, years after the new has worn off?

I love being a part of the gameworld. I love playing different chars and seeing things from different perspectives. I love getting to know different groups of people and participating in their shared madness. I love seeing how people react to me depending on what kind of char I'm playing. I love watching history unfold, even if it's hard to remember what each char knows half the time. I love it when someone mentions one of my old chars and I can see what they REALLY think of them now that they're not around to make a comment. Sure I like it when my chars get famous, but I don't expect all of them to and it's just as fun watching the interactions even when they're not all good.

I don't try to be the best, heck sometimes I just stand around rp'ing and not practicing. I just try to be part of the world, because that's what I enjoy.

Amnon 04-07-2003 09:11 AM

I created my current MUD :P

enigma@zebedee 04-10-2003 05:21 AM

karlan 04-10-2003 10:18 PM

The first MUD I actually started playing was WotMUD, I had tried a few of the more generic (I say that as in not a specific world from a book/game/movie, not as in non unique) MUDs and was not impressed, on one I was pk'd within seconds of logging on, and the other was to easy, you didn't die, you just went unconcious and returned back to your start area, minus some xp. Since I am a fan of the WoT books, I could relate to the world better, and I found WotMUD had great detail in the world and plenty to explore (I am a EAK player btw - or EKA  A & K both same % - ) and kill, while there were some fairly safe areas for newbies, it was a hostile world, and I had to be careful when exploring, which I loved. I was murdered when I STUPIDLY lay down to sleep on the road north of Fal Dara (for those who do not know the world, it is right next to the blight, home of all things evil - yes this is a MAJOR oversimplification - and a newbie should be nowhere near it)

At first I felt resentment that someone had killed me in my sleep, then I reconsidered, "if I was a big nasty trolloc, and I found someone asleep what would I do?", well the answer was obvious so I went and made a trolloc character. I played around in the areas in the blight (which are hostile to everybody), then decided that as a newbie trolloc, it was my job to go south, try and find a way past al the cities, guards, and human players and hunt. Some people would consider me cruel for hunting newbies, but I was level 3, and I didn't attack anyone less than level 5, so it was fair...

Since then a few changes were made to "balance" the racial pk, which I felt were unbalancing - we usually won, at 1:2 odds, even though we were outnumbered - so I went looking for more. I found quite a few muds that had 'midgaard' by various names, those I avoided, then I thought "if I am not finding what I want as a player why not try and find somwhere wanting a builder", a friend of mine had just found a new WoT based mud, so I started as a player there, and then they asked for people as imms, so there I am now.

As to how I first found out about MUDs and figured I should try one. I busted a tutor at university playing one, when I went to him with a question about an assignment. I asked what he was doing, and the bright colours (well the bright red message saying his Broadsword OBLITERATES his opponent) really caught my eye. Result: I decided to try MUDding, and I lost marks on that section of my assignment as I forgot to actually ask the question, I left the room thinking I had resolved it *lol*

Jeez, bit of a long ramble, but I am procrastinating at work (I really cannot find this bug, but procrastinating is more accurate)