Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Seeking advice: Helping build a Game (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6178)

Darren Brimhall 08-06-2010 11:21 PM

Seeking advice: Helping build a Game

I'm presently looking for tips, suggestions and threads concerning the following matters:

A. Criticism constructive and non-constructive
B. The Difference between the life we play and the one we live (OOC vs IC)
C. Tips on defining you and your character (building your character Icly and OOCly)
D. How to be successful (tips about role-playing, what it is and doing it well)
E. Imagine greater (tips on plot creation and getting involved)

Most importantly on matters that define IC/OOC interaction--especially when it gets out of hand.
What would be the best and most direct way of handing the matter?

Darren Brimhall

Newworlds 08-07-2010 02:00 PM

Re: Seeking advice: Helping build a Game

Hello Darren,

My best advice would be to search through the thousands of threads in the Administrative area of the Forums for answers.

Generally speaking, based on your thread title, the best help I can give you in building a game would be found here:

Darren Brimhall 08-10-2010 10:41 AM

Ah, thank you...

And sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this.

Darren Brimhall

Milawe 08-10-2010 11:59 AM

I just wanted to clarify what it is that you are seeking before I answer. Are you looking for ways to constructively criticize players or builders for the game?

Again, are you looking for tips for players or tips for building the game?

This is extremely generalized. I have it written it up somewhere, but it's on private forums. I have a guide written up for building a character concept for newbies and people who want to try roleplaying for the first time. Building and defining your character should always start with a main theme. I often pick one word for my character. Then I literally build in the details around that. For example, I've decided that my character's main theme is Grumpy. Now, I figure out what makes her grumpy. Perhaps she has chronic back pain. Then I figure out what gave her chronic back pain. Perhaps she used to tend goats and one kicked her in the back. So now maybe I have the detail that she's got a bit of fear around goats. Once I get to a place where I feel I've gone into enough detail along those lines, I go back to my main theme again and figure out things like "How does she act when she's grumpy?" In that way, I build a bit of life history for her and have a full character that flows naturally. You can keep adding details as long as you feel comfortable with it.

Newworlds 08-10-2010 04:53 PM

Heh. No worries Darren, there are times that I'm gone for a week or more and by the time I get back I can't even respond because my posts are burried under a truckload of other posts.

Darren Brimhall 08-11-2010 10:29 AM

Ok..For A; I am seeking out the best ways that a Staffer can express critism in the proper manner that does not alienate the player at all. Being firm, but helpful, in that the Staffer not only points out what is wrong with the Player and able to offer advice on how to make corrections.

For B, this involves the maxim of keeping IC and OOC seperate. All too often at Marrach this line is crossed with players leading to hurt feelings and players abandoing the place. What I am looking for here is how to deal with this matter in a positive way so that the Player understands that what happens to their character isn't (hopefully) directed at them as well.

For C; this involves seperating (and keeping seperate) what happens to the Player and what happens to their Character. It's like B, but with greater detail on the seperation and how the Player reacts to what the Character may find themselves in. Character theme can also be a factor in this.

I hope this helps.

Darren Brimhall