Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Administration (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   GoogleWave (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5818)

Markov_AU 12-17-2009 10:08 AM

GoogleWave

I am looking at using as a collaborative tool for the immortal staff on the mud I am a part of. I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this. Including extensions/gadgets that might be helpful. And any other input.

Thanks

Newworlds 12-17-2009 02:38 PM

Re: GoogleWave

Not sure how much different this is than just another flavor of Twitter and Facebook. That's what it looks like to me. Beyond that in a text game world, I find it much faster having staff work on our own channel within the game. I don't see any reason for staff needing video, music, or picture uplinks within the text game.

Markov_AU 12-17-2009 03:02 PM

Looking more from the immortal/builder side, things like bouncing ideas, editing them, possible maps etc while working on the projects or brain storming them. a lot of it is stuff I know our staff mixes in game channels and our forum for, but some things work better in semi real time w/ other aids.

On the player side I know me and another of our players are going around making lists of items in the game (using player attainable knowledge only) and compiling them into different files etc using a wave right now.

Ide 12-17-2009 06:11 PM

In using Wave for the last few weeks for both games and discussion, I'm not too sold on the chat toy they have right now. The interface isn't great in my opinion, it's hard to follow threaded conversations. I think it's fun to play and experiment with but other tools would do a better job of getting real work done.

Ishap 01-15-2010 08:48 PM

Heh, just noticed this topic. I considered using Google Wave as well after finally managing to snag an invite, but I'm not too sold on it either.

I disagree that having a collaborative tool isn't useful though. I use a wiki extensively, and I've found it's great to be able to upload non-text media as well (maps for areas being built, etc.). The thing about Google Wave that I haven't been too impressed by is the way to access old threads. It's fine for an IM-style conversation or email chain, but for planning and design work I just don't see it becoming as useful.

Markov_AU 01-15-2010 09:08 PM

I've got a wave going w/ a player/builders of mine collaborating a player side list of items (mostly so I can use it w/ my morts) that is sorta fun. But I was thinking more along the lines of RP histories, help files before they go in and the like, we have an extensive process for submitting clans on my mud, so it would seem like a good idea for it. And maybe brainstorming new projects for the mud.

Galleus 01-18-2010 04:18 PM

We've used GoogleWave sparingly mostly as a tool for coders to compare their progress on different parts of shared projects. It isn't always the most intuitive tool and I generally would advocate using a wiki for most projects in its stead, but I can see where having a coherent record of the thought process wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.

Nymeria 02-05-2010 10:43 AM

We recently started using this for staff on our MUSH, and we've found it quite effective for planning events, discussing and outlining newsfiles and such tasks. It keeps a record of conversations and suggestions without the need for logging of channel discussions, and it certainly seems to work work well for collaborative production of documents.