Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Announcements (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   IRE will advertise for you. (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3778)

the_logos 05-08-2005 10:52 PM

GuruPlayer 05-08-2005 11:24 PM

Cripes, you really are an arrogant a**hole!! Listen to your partners & quit embarassing them!

the_logos 05-08-2005 11:28 PM

Heh heh. That's too funny. My partners and I were taking bets on how long it would take before some idiot flamed us for donating money to help a non-commercial MUD promote itself. The prevailing sentiment was that it'd take 3 posts but it appears only 1 was necessary!

Chuckle-worthy.

Incidentally, what my partners objected to was lowering myself to arguing with people like you rather than just announcing what we're going to do and not worrying about whether you like it or not, as people like you don't matter. Believe me, they have even more contempt for your type than I do.

--matt

Samson 05-08-2005 11:42 PM

You've dropped to a whole new low with this one. Makes me wonder what sort of behind the scenes deal you struck with Mike.

Galleus 05-09-2005 01:04 AM

Such abject paranoia. Must acts of outright charity be maligned purely for their source? Matt has maintained a long standing place in this community, and yes, of course it benefits him that the community continue to prosper. But hardly any more or nearly as much as it would any who wishes to take him up on his offer. Were it otherwise so perhaps the matter could reliably be called into question. However, seeing as how it is not, it is nothing more than irresponsible to so staunchly oppose such an act for little reason beyond a distaste for the man who has offered it.

KaVir 05-09-2005 04:04 AM

A 'long standing place' of initiating plug after flame war after plug, disrupting the boards for everyone else, yes. And if he were really that interested in helping the community, why does he openly support those who steal the work of others?

Shao_Long 05-09-2005 05:24 AM

How very kind of you ...

Is it just me, or this post just reeks of arrogance? "Make me laugh somehow, and I will throw you a slice of bread off my table, maybe."

I will be amazed if anyone will take this offer. Though I've been amazed more than once by behavior of people on these forums recently, so who knows...

KaVir 05-09-2005 05:42 AM

There'll always be some prideless pauper in any community who'll relish the scraps from another man's table.

Lisaera 05-09-2005 08:31 AM

While I'm aware even as I write this that it'll get ignored as my connection with IRE obviously automatically makes me one of Matt's lapdogs, I don't remember him condoning anything Medievia does or doesn't do anywhere.

I'm not sure exactly where the idea that Matt is evil for offering a couple of advertisement places came from, but I have, as of yet, seen no logic behind it at all. Not all things are done selfishly, though Matt has often spoken of the "rising tide raising all ships", so if you must believe in some kind of self-serving motivation, that one is entirely plausible.

PhoenixFlare 05-09-2005 08:40 AM

Go read some of the Medievia-related posts from yesterday in which Matt was taking on all comers that dared to disagree with their position - perhaps it will become a bit clearer.

Oh, and though i'm sure you could care less about one puny player - as someone that's been lurking here for a long time and mudding in various places for 10 years, i've lost any and all desire to ever play any IRE games after all the rubbish that was posted yesterday. Thanks guys!

Lisaera 05-09-2005 08:55 AM

Valg 05-09-2005 09:20 AM

Flawed analogy. Medievia continues to profit off of their stolen, uncredited work, and therefore continues to earn their status. They damage the community directly- several developers have cited their theft as the reason they do not presently care to release free codebases to the public.

Germany was welcomed back into the international community after they (forcibly) reconstructed their government, accepted responsibility for their actions, showed proper contrition, and, most importantly, ceased the acts that led to them being an international pariah.

PhoenixFlare 05-09-2005 09:28 AM

Therein lies the problem - quite a large group of people (including myself) do not feel that Medievia has completed their pennance, or feel that they are not even attempting to repent & change.

Instead of accepting this, Matt seems to have chosen to treat anyone that disagrees with Medievia's position as a cross between an enemy and a total idiot - to the point where his business partners apparently had to tell him to stay quiet because he was generating bad publicity.

No matter how many times you, or Matt, or Soleil make the flabbergasted "We can't understand why you fools won't give up and accept us" posts, it's not going to change anything, and it's only going to cause more trouble for everyone. Since this mess began, I notice Medievia has slipped in the vote tally from being in 3rd to barely in 6th, for example.

There is such a huge difference between the two situations, I can't see how this is a valid comparison at all. There is almost nothing in common with Germany's reparations after the war atrocities, and the thieves of Medievia that refuse to even apologize, much less stop the problem acts.

Hajamin 05-09-2005 10:27 AM

While all I know about this situation is what I have read here, and what Lisaera has told me, all I have to say is simple. How do we know they didn't completely remove all the DIKU code, and are not 100% original? If they are, then good, and welcome back to the community. If they didn't, I'm sure it will be found out, and they will again be banned.

KaVir 05-09-2005 10:36 AM

Because it's the same mud - all they did was increment the version number.

the_logos 05-09-2005 12:08 PM

Incidentally, for clarification, I didn't mean the mud description has to make me laugh as in "Haha, you suck." More as in "Haha, what a great original concept." Quite a few MUDs have emailed me and while I'd like to be able to give the banner spots to all of you, I have to pick. I'll pick in a couple days to give people more time to see the thread.

--matt

WarHound 05-09-2005 12:57 PM

the_logos 05-09-2005 12:59 PM

#### it! I was really hoping I'd hear from them. I thought that was an interesting concept.

--matt

Shao_Long 05-09-2005 02:21 PM

What do "great, original concepts" have to do with making people laugh? I don't see why would anyone be laughing at a "great, original concept"...

the_logos 05-09-2005 02:50 PM

Don't you sometimes just laugh out loud when something delights you? That was my reaction to Age of Reptiles, for instance.

--matt