Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Announcements (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Java Mud Client (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3704)

Kyndig 09-03-2004 12:55 AM

The 'Java Play Now' link at the top right of the page now has a whole new java client. This snazzy client promotes all games in the database, as well as our Top 10 mud listings and banner rotation system.

We will be releasing the client for public usage once it is fully debugged through testing.

Features include:
-Ansi compatible
-Top 10 list
-Full mud list
-Banners focused on mud advertisement
-Fully resizable
-Able to be run through a proxy or locally for firewalled users
-Handy 'Settings' for colors, fonts, etc..
-Scrollback buffer
-Updates its list automatically from mudmagic.com game list

ENJOY. And let me know if there are any problems with the client.

For a direct page:

Comments, suggestions, kudos, and gripes welcome,
Kyndig

webmaster: Mud Magic

Traithe 09-03-2004 01:53 AM

Kyndig 09-03-2004 01:57 PM

Sounds like a good suggestion. The java mud client now has a larger default width for those that have them larger screen resolution sizes. =)

-Kyndig

Kyndig 09-06-2004 05:40 PM

A quick update. The Java Telnet Mud Client for websites is now released. A few updates were performed to the client, and more values were edited to allow for end users to change the client settings.

The client is designed for both small/large websites. It supports running your own Top Mud List, Full Mud List, and Banner engine.

As always, this product is free of charge/restrictions. Enjoy it, and put it to good use :+)

Welcome To Your New Addiction,
Kyndig

Malap 09-07-2004 12:46 PM

What license is it available under to be free of charge and restrictions?

Amnon 09-07-2004 01:26 PM

Amnon likes Java client. Amnon installs it to Amnon's Mud's Website. Amnon wonders if Amnon can change the default font and screen height (Amnon can change it through banner size, but that increases the banner space into an empty darkness Amnon does not like).

Amnon also wonders what you mean about the banners - Can Amnon set up his own banner list or are yours the only option, and if they are not, can Amnon simply remove the banners (Amnon doesn't find them -that- distracting, but Kyndig knows how it is).

One more thing Amnon wonders is if it can have MCCP Support, if it's even possible.

Oh yes, Amnon is now speaking in third/half-tarazan person to those who haven't noticed.

Kyndig 09-07-2004 07:42 PM

The license that it was created by myself, and I am saying it is free of charge/restrictions =) In the config.php file, it mentions the usage parameters of the client. Short of redistributing the client without approval ( I didn't want it to be packaged as software or akin with default mudmagic.com banners and such ).

Enjoy,
Kyndig

Kyndig 09-07-2004 07:49 PM

You can change the width without issues. Height is not an option at this time. I will not be updating this client any further, as it is developed so that you can resize the window to your liking =) Just maximize the window after starting it.

The banner usage is describe further in detail on the website at:
In basics, you set what url contains the banner details, the url should contain a file that is read:
# # message seen when mouse over banner \n

You can run your own banners, top mud list, full mud list. Review the config.php file further, and the url mentioned above to edit your files appropriately.

It does not support MCCP as most mud servers which run MCCP check a client for mccp support. If not present, telnet negotiation is not compressed.

This client is designed to be small, with no fancy frills. It currently packages at 76K, which is larger than what I initially wanted the client to be. Other than bug updates/fixes, no further features will be added.

Happy mudding =)
Kyndig

Malap 09-07-2004 08:08 PM

I'm really not trying to start a licensing flamewar here, but putting it up on a web page for players to download and run is definitely "redistribution", and the usage text in config.php as written prohibits this without MudMagic's prior written permission. What you tried to restrict and what you did restrict don't match.

I appreciate your comments on allowed usage here and on other forums, but they self-contradict -- you say free of charge and restrictions, and then you give restrictions. Additionally, not seeing these comments in the client distribution makes me unwilling to rely on them -- I doubt it meets any legal burden of proof.

Kyndig 09-07-2004 08:27 PM

I would recommend to you that you search for a client then that falls under a license. I am not interested in charging people a fee, I am not restricting people from charging other folks with the client. They can take it and decompile it, review the decompiled code, reasemble it and call it their own for all the worth I would put into it. =)

This is a simple client to be used by whomever finds it useful. I will not be puting any type of license to it. If you want to upload it to every ftp server you run across, then you are not following what I asked in the client...which is your perogative. For those that find this lack of licensing to be of use, that too is their perogative to not download/use it.

I do hope that cleared up your concern.
Kyndig

Kyndig 09-07-2004 08:38 PM

As a quick afterthought:

I placed that there to prevent the client from being packaged onto a cd as part of some software suite. If a user is planning on doing so, they will contact me because they probably have legal concerns on the client being free for use and will want further details. They can get their lawyers to draft up whatever contract wording they require to assuage their concerns, and I will be more than happy to sign off on it. For the average end user, they can use their own interpretation/disgression. I will not be making some lengthy license to protect my interests, when I have no intersts to protect in regards to its usage. I am releasing it to the public.

This client is free to use. Use it, abuse it, run 20 instances of it from the same website =) It is released to the public ..for public use. It is designed to promote online text games specifically. To that end, the client is serving its purpose.

Malap 09-07-2004 09:41 PM

Thank you for your prompt and complete response to my questions.

Kyndig 09-19-2004 09:35 PM

For those following the Java Mud Client for websites at mudmagic.com. A stable proxy server has been packaged with the client as of today. For an updated client, please download the source code at:

The Proxy server was developed by Elanthis from . AweMud.Net contains the AweMud C++ OpenSource gameserver, as well as helpful tools and utilities for developers.

Please review the telnet/proxy/README file for details on ompiling the proxy server. This Proxy distributed: Copyright © 2004 AwesomePlay Productions, Inc. A Makefile for Linux is available, and the proxy server supports:
[code]
* threading
* specific port listening
* logging functionality
* min/max allowed connection restrictions
* background daemon switch
* IPV6 handling
* setuid (runas) support for ports less than 1024 on Linux
* timeout support
* access control list
* as well as a robust source code that is focused on security
[/quote]

A kind thanks to Elanthis for his contribution to MudMagic and the online text gaming community.

-Kyndig
webmaster