Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Builders and Areas (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tuatha De Denaan (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214)

Neranz Laverani 04-19-2002 09:13 AM

If any of you have read the Tuatha De Danaan article in the Mud Companion Magazine #3, I would like to know if the article's concept is helpful. I am definitely writing part 2 of the Tuatha De Danaan. Though I would like to know if the concept has merit before I embark on any other such articles.

Thank you,
Neranz Laverani, Seeker of Knowledge

Sidmouth 04-20-2002 02:07 PM

Neranz Laverani 04-20-2002 03:25 PM

Sidmouth 04-21-2002 01:37 PM

I think it's a cool idea. A given scenario might not be something that could be implemented in a mud, but if nothing else, a builder could get some ideas from the backstory and other atmospheric components of the scenario.

Brianna 04-21-2002 03:41 PM

When I build an area, I usually have a general theme (in line with the mud theme) that I work with and I break my area into several zones within it. I find I by doing that I can create a story of the area better by breaking it down.

If you need me to, I can send you an area description and break down of the zones that I recently completed.

acer 04-22-2002 08:05 AM

I think that's a great concept!

I know, personally, I'm more of the coder type, and always have issues with the creative side of the entire building process. I think, at the very least, scenarios can help stoke builders imaginations; even if they don't take you scenario exactly, perhaps it gives their creative juices that extra bump it needs to come up with their next great area.

-Acer

funkalicious 04-22-2002 11:29 AM

I you mean that when builders are assigned zones to build, they have a scenario that the land is thrown into, I think its a great idea. We have such a scenario in our mud, but I never thought of it like this. We have th dwarves in one zone, the orcs in the other, and they fight to the death in between. Its rather interesting to think of what the orcs or dwarves would have done in their castles (or cave) that was influenced by the fight with the enemy. For example, we included prisons in both sides, holding chained orcs and dwarves, and hordes of treasure, and when the zones are complete, we plan to have an area where orcs and dwarves spawn to fight each other separate of the player's influence.

Things like this not only provide ideas for a zone, but also give it a degree of separation, a character of its own. The player is able to run around and meddle with the ongoing fight, for example save a dwarf by droppin an iron chain onto an orc which is about him, or helping the orcs by running through the castle and killing dwarves on sight. In a regular dwarf castle, or orc cave, the player simply finds and kills, and with a scenario, the player can get involved in a storyline, at least to some degree.

aeslyn 04-23-2002 10:19 PM

Neranz Laverani 04-24-2002 12:22 PM

Due to the diversity of the myths available, two different people could have very different ideas on what is doing justice to the Tuatha De Danaan. If you throw in the fact that the Tuatha were a real people that these myths sprang from, the gap of what is doing justice gets even wider. The history and mythology of the Tuatha suffered greatly by Christians who sought to Christianize the past and the myths.

If after reading my articles, you feel that I have not done justice to the Tuatha, I freely invite you to submit scenarios or articles of your own on them. It can only benefit builders to have a more diverse view. Heck you can even work on the assumption that I flubbed it up and submit articles or scenarios on the Tuatha without reading mine.

Neranz Laverani, Seeker of Knowledge