Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advanced MUD Concepts (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Guidelines for a PKI (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4876)

obit 04-24-2008 02:00 AM

Guidelines for a PKI

After little or no discussion recently about PK, except for how it pertains to RP that is, I felt it was time to introduce my list of what it takes, for a mud to be considered a PKI. (An acronym I hope will gain popularity on the coattails of other similar acronyms)

PKI, (Player-Kill Intensive)
Inspired by a similar list created by Delerak-obit

Milawe 04-24-2008 02:14 AM

Re: Guidelines for a PKI

I have a problem with this one. I think humiliation bumping items should be included as well.

For example, if you have in item that forces your opponent to lose bladder control before you kill them, this should be allowed to be included in a PKI, especially if it stains the pants of the corpse. That way, other players can come by and marvel at the fear you induced in your enemy before you slaughtered them.

I have a problem with this one as well. I think PKs can be intense if it's long and drawn out where you can savor the fact that you will inevitably destroy your enemy. They know they're going to lose. You know they're going to lose. It gives more time for taunting as well. Plus, "faster" is extremely subjective. Faster than what? Faster than a speeding bullet? That's simply not enough time for your opponent to wallow in defeat. Also, I want the chance to give them the false hope of getting away before they get annihilated.

Are we allowed to RP on PKIs? If not, then we need a list for RPPKIs. We can share the acronym or switch off every other week.

obit 04-24-2008 02:47 AM

I can kinda go along with that as long as the humiliation-factor is high. Loss of bladder control would be an acceptable example.

I suppose I can agree with you on this one as well. But you shouldn't have to go through a long drawn out process to kill. If sufficiently skilled, you should be able to dispatch your enemies quickly (in under a minute) and with extreme prejudice at your whim, and if you choose to "play with your food", so be it.

I left "RP" out of the list on purpose because RP is such a broad, sweeping term, which is neither exclusive or inclusive to PK, that it has llittle bearing on the quality of PK in the context I'm using. RP in a PKI would be akin to going to a RL paintball course and pretending that you are an "Allied Marine" trying to take out some "Nazi Scum" on the beaches of Normandy. Expect a few raised eyebrows from your friends when you call for a medic after getting hit and try to place a paint-smeared letter to your girlfriend "back home" in the hand of one of your confused teamates as you rattle off your last "dying gasps".

Delerak 04-24-2008 03:10 AM

Wow, I'm glad I inspired another thread for discussion. I would tend to agree with all of your points made. If you look at GodWars 2, which in my opinion is definitely the leader for PKI muds you would find all of those in there. I can think of several more to add but I will get some sleep for now and check back later and see what others have added.

Mabus 04-24-2008 06:44 AM

Have to agree.

Scalps and decapitated heads that retain the name of the character ( the bloody head of <character name>) add fun for trophy hunters.

I don't code a PKI, but I do enjoy playing a good PK MUD occasionally.

Milawe 04-24-2008 10:21 AM

True! There's a certain humility being killed in under a minute, too. This is difficult decision. I'm thinking a true PKI has the option for both - annihilation kill (under a minute) and the cat-and-mouse kill or the AK and the CaMK.

Let's finalize the list so that we can go about arguing who gets to use it. I'm thinking I should be the one to decide since I'm pretty fair and unbiased, but since you wrote the list, I could be persuaded to let you decide. Or, we could PK each other and the winner gets to decide for the week.

Newworlds 04-24-2008 02:04 PM

You guys scare me.

Fern 04-24-2008 03:18 PM

Yeah, count me in on that one, Newworlds.

The next definition should be for RPWKPK games. (RP immersive, PK intensive, but it's all done on a wiki.)
:D

Of course I'm kidding.

newbie 04-24-2008 05:40 PM

The RPI threads turned into a TMS in joke!

Delerak 04-24-2008 06:52 PM

I don't think it's a joke.

obit 04-24-2008 11:54 PM

I have to put in that severed limbs/heads ect must be wieldable as weapons, if they are to be included in a true PKI. I mean really, what good is an arm lying about, if you can't finish your opponent off with it?

Milawe 04-25-2008 09:51 PM

What are you going to do, bleed on me?

Valg 04-26-2008 10:11 AM

I knew our Orcish Berserkers' Pillage skill would finally get the recognition it deserves!