Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Newbie Help (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mapping Techniques (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573)

Nearlyhugh 01-23-2006 10:48 AM

I'm new to MUDs and have just brought my character to the stage where he won't get beaten to a pulp by the first creature he encounters...

I'd like to start a discussion of the various methods that players use to map out the worlds they play, so that I can make an informed decision on how to approach navigating a sparkly new world.

What are the predominant methods used? I imagine a lot of players rely on mental maps as they play, but surely most people use maps at some stage...

Do players carefully map as they go along, or is it more efficient and enjoyable to play an area out, and then return to map it later?

I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Nearly'

Seberis 01-23-2006 12:22 PM

DonathinFrye 01-23-2006 01:10 PM

Graph Paper does work well - and you can also opt to use colored pencils(or hi-lighter if you're just that edgy :o) to signify special rooms - you can create a key/etc/etc. Another option is just to Letter-code each room, then add a "Letter Key", but I prefer numbering the rooms and using color for the key.

I also suggest larger square graph paper as opposed to smaller square graph paper.

I also use a new page of paper for the same area any time you go in an "up", "down", or special direction(I.E. "stairs", "cave", "ship", etc), then putting them in a logical order and stapling them in the upper lefthand corner.

It's all about how OCD you are willing to get. : ) I'm OCD about mapping, but I don't always map on the first go around, unless I know it will help me figure my way out through a maze, or some other quirky part of an area. Then, I map the other stuff in large bunches when I don't feel like crawling, bashing, or anything doing else that's boring and makes me want to slit my wrists.

It's all up to you, though.

Hajamin 01-23-2006 03:32 PM

The other common method, if your client supports it, would be to use your clients mapping system. Zmud has a decent automapper, though you may have to manually adjust it for some area's.

Earthmother 01-23-2006 05:15 PM

You can also make *very* slick maps, using MS Excel, and it's 'comment' ability. This gives many color coding techniques (borders, filled boxes, text)  and also the flexibility of the keyboard for dimension..." ] " works great for "up and down". Excel also lets you move large 'chunks' at a time, when area begins to overlap. This method is *highly* OCD, but you get some *incredible* maps out of it.

Milawe 01-23-2006 07:29 PM

Drealoth 01-23-2006 07:49 PM

If you can find it, isometric graph paper is great for doing a very 3d maps (such as a building with multiple floors).

aegora 01-23-2006 08:02 PM

cowofjoy 01-23-2006 10:52 PM

prof1515 01-24-2006 02:29 AM

When I map, I use MS Paint and create a grid.  Then, I slowly color in the grid to denote room types as well as barriers, adding the features by hand, pixel-by-pixel in many cases.  Then, I add more details (again, quite often pixel-by-pixel) like door indicators, fountains, etc. as well as a key.  It takes time, and the maps below each took anywhere from ten to eighty hours each to complete.  But, as I play a medieval-themed RPI MUD, the old-world craftsman approach (even if using modern tech, the parallel of a medieval world on a modern machine is there) seems fitting.

The results:

Take care,

Jason

Drealoth 01-24-2006 02:34 AM

Isometric graph paper:

Nearlyhugh 01-24-2006 05:15 AM

With hindsight, it makes sense that people who enjoy playing text based games would also enjoy a pen and paper approach to mapping them. I think that Jason makes a great point - you can take real pride in a "hand crafted" map, and I suppose it adds to the experience of exploration.

In my experience the mapping facilities of MUD clients are often fiddly, and there is inevitably some awkward procedure for performing unsual edits that are quickly and simply implemented using a pencil and eraser! I suppose that if you learned the quirks of one particular "mapper" little intervention would be needed for the automatic generation of maps, but personally I'd rather be able to traipse about the MUD without worrying about things like "if I go down these stairs, what point am I on in the level below?". If only someone could write a mapper with an "autofudge" facility...

I have written a simple PERL script to convert "n, 2 w, s" style paths to ASCII HTML maps, with hyperlinks to move up/down levels, but it seems like the more I look at it, the more complicated it is to cover all the "corner cases" and force an inherently random navigation system onto a grid. Upon reflection, maybe it's better that way - surely it's more interesting to play areas with tunnels, pits, scalable walls,  magic portals and other navigational chicanery than to trudge around a simple grid...

I guess I'll stick to the time honoured pen and paper approach...

Thanks for the opinions and advice!

Nearly'

Winddancer 01-24-2006 09:07 AM

I have been looking for suitable mapping tools for quiet a while but didn't find them. I need a mapping tool that can map in 10 directions (n, ne, e, se, s, sw, w, nw, up and down).
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

the_logos 01-25-2006 01:01 AM

Nearlyhugh 01-25-2006 05:21 AM

Now that's a Map!

Nearly'

Drealoth 01-25-2006 06:58 AM

the_logos 01-25-2006 02:09 PM

Thanks! I will point her to this thread so that she can bask in the compliments. She's awesome at maps I have to say.

--matt

Hardestadt 01-26-2006 03:36 AM

I am an avid zMud mapper user. The mapper program is pretty sketchy at time, but over the years I've learned how to tame it to do what I want using a combination of experimentation, persistence, and voodoo.

I like how it gives me a visual representation of where I am, and I'm honestly lost without it as a player. As a developer its not so serious, I don't need as quick a reaction time as you often do whilst playing.

-H

nass 01-26-2006 05:59 AM

Just a tip, since you're a newbie, to map mazes you can never seem to get out of and which have weird exits going onto other rooms, and where rooms look identical, use coins. ie in room 1 drop 1 coin, in room 2 drop 2 coins etc, that way you know which room is which and where it connects to.

And yes, Zmud makes very pretty maps, we've had them up on our site for several years: ie see

Nearlyhugh 01-26-2006 06:54 AM

Thanks for the tip nass!

If I'm ever involved in developing a MUD, maybe I'll implement a "drop breadcrumb" command for newbies...

Nearly'