Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What makes you leave? (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5918)

bsd13 02-08-2010 09:09 AM

What makes you leave?

As mudders we all know that once we settle into a world we might visit other muds here and there, but what makes us leave our home mud in search of a new place to spend countless hours?

Two of mine are pwipes, and an extreme change in the direction of the mud (eg goes from rp to h/s or the opposite).

Darren Brimhall 08-04-2010 10:37 AM

Re: What makes you leave?

In short, mine involved frustration over how favored players, power players and cyberbullies were allowed free reign in the Game by an uncaring staff, while those who complained were reduced in stature both in Game and in the Community as a whole...

It got to the pont where you couldn't play your character as you once did, so why stay?

Darren Brimhall

Newworlds 08-04-2010 12:32 PM

I would think this would be a viable and probably notable reason.

KaVir 08-04-2010 01:15 PM

Long time ago now, but I left a couple of muds because of their rent systems - I spent months collecting decent equipment, and by the end it was taking me over an hour of play every day just to earn enough gold to prevent my gear from vanishing. In the end I realised it just wasn't fun any more, so I gave my stuff away, and as I couldn't play without equipment I never went back.

On another mud I was deleted by one of the imps, because he'd been going through the logs and decided I'd been using the "murder" command far too much, and PK was against the rules. A few of us were deleted at the same time, as we'd all been helping one of the other imps test out the new PK arena he was working on, so we moved on to a new mud together.

The last mud I seriously played as a player was Realms of Despair. I moved on from there because I wanted to create my own mud - but they've no rent and I've still a few friends there, so I still pop in once in a while to say hi.

prof1515 08-04-2010 02:37 PM

The reasons I've left MUDs include staff favoritism, lack of effort to curb cheating/twinking (often tying in with the aforementioned favoritism), declining staff/player quality and clear signs of incompetance on the part of staff.

Newworlds 08-04-2010 03:47 PM

Rent? I've never heard of this, but I doubt I'd play any game I had to rent places or things that would make me keep that up.

Milawe 08-04-2010 04:37 PM

Lack of time is really the only thing that has ever made me leave a home mud. A couple of the muds that I used to play were shut down, though, for rennovations. I went back to make a character and never had time to play again.

Technically, I guess I left the Threshold playerbase when I became an administrator, but I wasn't really ready to quit playing when I did.

08-05-2010 08:18 PM

Umm.....

I don't think I can really answer this one with a straight face. I've been playing the same two muds for ten years....

However, if I ever did leave, the reason I would leave is not having the time to keep myself from going insane by not using wizslay at least once a day.

Or playing a newbie.

And I have more characters than anyone. I have too. Only way to really know the dynamics of each race/class combo.

yes.

scandum 08-05-2010 09:55 PM

The first MUD I seriously played ended up changing owners, who were a bunch of newbies who didn't do any notable development, so I got bored and used a merc backdoor to make myself an imm, killed a couple of dozen people, and found myself site-banned.

The second MUD ended up changing owners as well, who thought it was only fair if they took all my special gear as I had avoided getting killed for several years, while having killed and looted most other players of their precious gear, typically acquired through sexual favors. I lost interest and quit playing, and the mud closed down not too long after.

For me to stick around there needs to be continuous (meaningful) development, or several years worth of interesting content to explore.

Newworlds 08-05-2010 10:13 PM

Wow. Remind me not to invite you to NWA you cheater you.:p

scandum 08-05-2010 11:05 PM

I was in my early twenties back then, I'm much wiser nowadays. ;)

KaVir 08-06-2010 05:19 AM

You mean you no longer cheat, or you no longer get caught? ;)

Viriato 08-06-2010 06:46 AM

I've never left the MUD I play since 96!

Darren Brimhall 08-06-2010 12:28 PM

It almost sounds like Marrach.

Darren Brimhall

scandum 08-06-2010 10:30 PM

I mean I'm less of an a-hole. :)

My brain was a lot sharper back then as well, I'd probably miserably fail at turning a mud upside down nowadays.

Newworlds 08-07-2010 02:01 PM

LOL. Your brain is definately sharper with a wit for comic prose.:)