Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Coding (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Circle - Death Gate make errors (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417)

Eagleon 04-19-2002 02:30 AM

Okay, I d/led the source for a circle deriative based on the series of books called The Death Gate Cycle, which is no longer running on any muds that I know of, and am attempting to get it to make with Cygwin. I have not yet managed to learn to code, so I can't figure out these errors. It would be great if someone helped me out. Here's the messages I get when I type make in the src directory.

[code] $ make
Makefile;83; warning; overriding commands for target `all'
Makefile;2; warning; ignoring old commands for target `all'
make ../bin/circle
make[1]; Entering directory `/circle-dg/src'
make[1]; CC@; Command not found
make[1]; *** [comm.o] Error 127
make[1]; Leaving directory `/circle-dg/src'
make; *** [all] Error 2.[/quote]

If you need more info to solve this, such as lines from the makefile, just ask me. Thanks

Yui Unifex 04-19-2002 07:23 AM

It looks like there's a variable in the Makefile that's undefined, or defined improperly. The CC@ tells me that it's most likely supposed to be CC, the C Compiler. Usually this is represented with $(CC), and has a line in the makefile that looks something like:
[code] CC = gcc[/quote]

So try changing the CC@ to $(CC). And if that doesn't work, post the code around the CC@ =).

Eagleon 04-19-2002 11:50 AM

Okay, that got rid of some of the errors, but others popped up from later in the makefile.
Heres the messages:

[code] $ make
make ../bin/circle
make[1]; Entering directory `/circle-dg/src'
gcc @CFLAGS@ @MYFLAGS@ -c -o comm.o comm.c
gcc; cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
make[1]; *** [comm.o] Error 1
make[1]; Leaving directory `/circle-dg/src'
make; *** [all] Error 2
[/quote]

And heres the parts of the makefile that I think is causing the problem.

[code] #compiler name and flags
CC = gcc
DGFLAGS = $(DEBUGFLAGS)
MYFLAGS = @MYFLAGS@
[/quote]

then later in it:

[code] CFLAGS = @CFLAGS@ $(MYFLAGS) $(DGFLAGS) $(PROFILE)
LIBS = @LIBS@ $(DEBUGLIBS)
[/quote]

This comes right before it lists a bunch of *.o files.

Yui Unifex 04-19-2002 12:06 PM

Ahh, I believe that @VARIABLE@ is intended to inherit global or parent flags.  I'm not familiar with that syntax, sorry.  But it looks like you can safely remove it.  I'd suggest removing the line:
[code] MYFLAGS = @MYFLAGS@[/quote]

and changing:

[code] CFLAGS = @CFLAGS@ $(MYFLAGS) $(DGFLAGS) $(PROFILE)
to
CFLAGS = $(DGFLAGS) $(PROFILE)

and

LIBS = @LIBS@ $(DEBUGLIBS)
to
LIBS = $(DEBUGLIBS)
[/quote]

Eagleon 04-19-2002 01:19 PM

Yui Unifex 04-19-2002 02:08 PM

I decided to read up on the @THINGY@ semantics of makefiles. Apparently they do inherit variables, but from Autoconf. Apparently the makefile you have is a template or something or other (I'm not particularly fond of autoconf/configure). Try running "./configure" before running "make".

If you haven't already deleted the system, that is =P.

cainers 04-19-2002 02:37 PM

Yes, this is probably too little too late but....

Death Gate Mud is a derivative of an old circlemud version. 2.2 i think. As such you would need to run the ./configure script to create a makefile that will run on your system.

I agree with Yui, and as such a scrapped the config script on my circle deriv. A friend of mine provided us with a new Makefile which we've used ever since.

Best Regards

Eagleon 04-19-2002 05:52 PM

Yui Unifex 04-19-2002 07:06 PM

Makefile.in is the template that configure uses to generate the *real* Makefile. It should be generated automagically if you run configure. When you ran configure, didn't it say "generating Makefile..." and the like?

Copying/renaming conf.h.in may result in some weirdness, because conf.h is supposed to be *generated* from conf.h.in =).

Eagleon 04-19-2002 11:14 PM

See, the problem was that I didn't _have_ conf.h.in. I had conf.h, but no conf.h.in. Heh heh. Okay, I'm going to try looking for the source again, deleting the thing, and starting over, removing any stupid changes I may have made. Lol.

Eagleon 04-19-2002 11:32 PM

Okay, got it back again, and this is what I got at the end of the configuration:

[code] updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating src/Makefile
creating src/conf.h
cp; cannot stat `./src/conf.h.in'; No such file or directory
sed; can't read conftest.in; No such file or directory
[/quote]

See what I mean?

Yui Unifex 04-20-2002 10:43 AM

Well, I decided to take a look at the codebase you're talking about to see if anything could be salvaged. I downloaded the base . It's having the exact same problems you described. Unfortunately, their usage of the configuration template (conf.h.in) isn't limited to only a few #defines (in which case I'd be able to give you a simple list).

So there's nothing we can do without a large investment of time in hunting down the areas that need the configuration file. I suggest giving those people found in the credits (in the NOTES file) an email, as they surely didn't wish to release a codebase in this state.