Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How much PK do you like in a mud? (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580)

Arcos 10-04-2002 05:48 PM

Wondering about how much pk you like in your muds, and why you like that amount.

Wenlin 10-04-2002 06:17 PM

Either VERY restricted by rp, or purepk.

Both is good too.

To expand, if anyone is going to look back here, purepk as a theme is a-ok. I don't think it needs explanation.

RPed pk needs to have some sort of backdoor, a way for people to get out of the fight by some other way. Never, unless you're in a dire war (and even then) should you ever just start whacking on people. If it were RPed pk, I'd sit still if someone wanting to kill me would just shout "Halt, Wenlin!" and I'd see what they had to say, maybe give them something and they leave me alone. Problem is, a lot of people will probably mistake that as "Words don't matter, he's gonna kill me" And that's probably what I would think too, but if people stuck to the concept...

rockcrusher_sargon 10-05-2002 03:20 AM

Even though sometimes I like to play just a out right HS. I like to see it controled so those that like to rp dont get hacked on and killed for no reason. If it is controlled right and set up right you can have them all running together but how well it would work out would depend on the players and there interaction. I love playing when you can be deverse and all the other players work well together so that each can help build the game in there own way.

tired and off to bed! Out go's my best wishes to each and everyone of you! Peace out!
sargon

Ike 10-05-2002 10:40 AM

I enjoy the pure competition of several (hack n slash) muds and the free pk they offer.

Santrilla 10-05-2002 04:56 PM

Ike 10-05-2002 06:26 PM

TFC?

Songsworn_Draconita 10-05-2002 07:28 PM

I prefer very little PK in a MUD. What does exist should be limited to very controlled circumstances, and/or fits in with the RP of the MUD.

Wenlin 10-05-2002 09:51 PM

Enzo 10-05-2002 11:20 PM

I'm only out for RP, so I think PK should any be used when people are fighting IC'ly. Then again, I also hate being PK'ed because i think it's stupid.

shadowfyr 10-06-2002 03:10 PM

Where I play you have to specifically set yourself to be PK and only about 5% of the players do. Then again you do get someone who goes completely bonkers once in a while and starts killing people randomly or some newbie that doesn't feel like reading anything before attacking someone/thing. There is also a no-death arena (well.... no-death unless the injury is so great it causes the code to bug, but that generally only happens when some mortal challanges a wiz and they decide it would be funny to accept) and one full PK area that involves defending a much prized tower.

In general though you have a sort of catch-22. If you make it illegal except when a registered PK or under other specific situations then you have to enforce the rules and even nuke those players that go on a killing spree. But without limits it is hard to play without constantly worrying some clown is going to attack you and steal all your eq. This is one reason I don't play the sort of 'always active' graphics based games (the other reason being money). On them there have been cases of large groups of new players signing in, just to hunt down and kill as many large players as possible. Thankfully this is not a concern with muds and recovering from disaster is not a major problem. Though on ones that run a 'if you are dead, start over' system....

Burr 10-06-2002 03:37 PM

I don't like it when a character kills someone just because they are the wrong race or class or religion, or because they want money and hope to loot you, or because they are a psychopathic killer. Those are all plausible IC reasons, at least in muds that focus on the extraordinary characters of a world, rather than the average joes. But those reasons just aren't enjoyable to me. I prefer it when a killer has a personal reason to kill a particular character, rather than an impersonal reason to kill a particular character or a personal reason to kill a general type of character. I suppose you could say I prefer it when both characters have something at stake other than just their experience/levels and loot.

smadronia 10-06-2002 03:48 PM

I said pk restricted by pk, but to me it's more than that. I want to be able to choose whether to pk or not, but not necessarily at the start, and I want there to be some kind of restriction, when it's based on class, race, level, or clans of some kind. There's nothing I like less than logging into a mud, getting a level or two, and just as I'm going to explore I get killed by someone because the mud is open pk and I wasn't aware of it.

Dionae 10-07-2002 07:03 PM

I like open pk, as long as rp is enforced and you must have an ic reason to kill someone. That way, people cannot hide behind being non-pk and mouth off at anyone they please, yet also you don't have twinks running around killing anything that moves. In this way, if you don't want to be pk'ed, then don't do something to **** another character off. *snicker* If you want to play a peaceful character, you should be able to, without fearing being attacked by some random lunatic.

Newworlds 09-05-2010 12:09 PM

Re: How much PK do you like in a mud?

This thread is ancient, but I'm wondering if thoughts have changed for players and I didn't want to make a new thread about it. So what do you think? Do you like PK? Not like it? How much do you like? And would you rather have it slightly restricted, fully restricted, or just free for all?

prof1515 09-05-2010 03:11 PM

Personally, I like it in the context of the world and prefer worlds which are reasonable in regard to death. Murder and death take on so little significance when they become commonplace. That just doesn't appeal to me. So, I prefer a game where PK is not treated as a game feature but as a possibility though the odds of it happening to or being carried out by a player are very rare given a variety of realistic factors.

Oliver 09-05-2010 03:35 PM

I don't like it rare. I also don't like it commonplace. It should happen when the situation ICly merits, but shouldn't be wanton. I don't like games where people make roleplay excuses to be pk bots: "I am a psychopath / evil / greedy. It means I kill people a lot!!!"

Sombalance 09-05-2010 09:42 PM

First, I don't play games where the characters aren't in-character (RP encouraged/enforced or what ever you want to call it). I like PK to be an option, but want it supported by IC actions with some sort of process in place to allow for auditing the actions leading up to the PK. Regardless of how death by mob is handled in a game, I think death by other player character should result in the death of the character. None of this assassinate someone to have the repop back at the local church stuff.

Character deaths should be rare and significant.

Newworlds 09-05-2010 11:45 PM

This is agree with a lot. PK without purpose is a waste, in my opinion.