Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Announcements (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rapture license (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3630)

the_logos 09-27-2003 04:28 PM

Mill Valley, CA -- September 27, 2003 -- Iron Realms Entertainment announced today that it had finalized a license for its Rapture Technology Suite with Persistent Realms, a new Santa Cruz based developer of online games.

"We are excited to be using the Rapture Technology Suite," said Ryan Schwab, Persistent Realms's President. "It has already accelerated our development process significantly, to such an extent that we are confident in saying we can deliver a fully featured game by the third quarter of 2004."

Matt Mihaly, Iron Realms' CEO said, "We believe Rapture is one of the fastest and most stable text mud engines available, making it ideal for commercial use. There is also no other licensable text mud engine that has proven it can support games with the commercial track record of Achaea, Aetolia, and Imperian."

For more information visit .

visko 09-27-2003 09:34 PM

You people are all around Mill Valley?! Damnit. I was living in Palo Alto and working in Menlo Park/Sausalito/the city all of last year. I would have dropped by if I'd known.

-Visko

the_logos 09-28-2003 01:32 AM

Well, I'm in Mill Valley at least. Other people are in Colorado Springs, Seattle, Toronto, and London. You've just gotta love the internet!

Sausalito and Menlo Park is a strange combination of places! What were you doing that had interests in both places?

--matt

Amnon 09-28-2003 06:56 AM

Hopefully they'll find someone willing to actually buy it... From what I read, the amount of money involved contains 5 figures.

I dunno, maybe Bill Gates is a MUDder and will wanna buy the license :P

KaVir 09-28-2003 07:05 AM

I figured you must be joking, but:

"Rapture is available for license but the cost is in five figures."

Azhon 09-28-2003 07:58 AM

Considering he bought it originally from avalon for 10K, that isn't such an unreasonable figure for a licence.

the_logos 09-28-2003 02:03 PM

If you read the press release you'll see that one group has already bought it for that price. That was what the release was announcing.
--matt

the_logos 09-28-2003 02:12 PM

Actually, I originally bought Hourglass for 10k. It was a thorough piece of **** and ran on Acorn RISC machines before being ported to linux. We then switched to Vortex (on its 5th version at that point) wihch had originally been backwards compatible with Hourglass but had gone way beyond Hourglass. It was written by someone with no connection to Avalon besides being a player. We eventually bought Vortex outright from the author to save on royalty payments in the long run and then decided that we needed to start from scratch anyhow as Vortex was hopelessly slow. Our new engine, Rapture, was developed internally and is quite good. Vortex we just killed as it is inferior in every way to Rapture.

--matt

the_logos 09-28-2003 02:20 PM

Amnon 09-28-2003 03:35 PM

By the way, does 5 figures mean 10K, or $99,999?

malaclypse 09-28-2003 03:49 PM

I would just like to add that you can get more information as it becomes available on our website:

Not much there yet, but we're just getting started.

- Ryan

Hephos 09-28-2003 05:10 PM

No offense to iron realms, but anyone paying five figures for a text based engine is NUTS.

malaclypse 09-28-2003 05:17 PM

Not if you consider the alternative of spending lots of time and effort programming an engine from scratch, and then also consider the lost revenues incurred as a result of that additional development time.

- Ryan

the_logos 09-28-2003 06:16 PM

Shrug. I paid 10k for a text mud engine and it's led to quite a successful company. I'm not going to talk about what our revenue is but consider that we currently have five full-timers earning competitive developer (60k+) salaries. Best 10 grand I ever spent.

--matt

the_logos 09-28-2003 06:16 PM

Much closer to the low end than the high end.

--matt

visko 09-28-2003 06:25 PM

I lived in Palo Alto and was doing a little construction over in Menlo. Sausalito was a software development project - Zigzag.

-Visko

KaVir 09-29-2003 02:24 AM

You're telling me that as well as paying a $10k license fee, people also have to pay you "significant royalties"?

I'm sorry, but anyone who falls for that is obviously lacking in business sense. There is simply not the market to recover that sort of expenditure within any sort of realistic timeframe.

Hephos 09-29-2003 03:42 AM

malaclypse 09-29-2003 10:52 AM

I'm not sure why you are speaking with such feigned authority and objectivism when there are many examples to the contrary. You are also choosing to ignore the brand name recognition that Rapture has among players who are already used to (and happy with) the Achaean business model.

- Ryan

malaclypse 09-29-2003 11:58 AM

Which brings up another good point that was considered when Persistent Realms was making the decision on whether or not to purchase Rapture: With this software, our entire team can keep their dayjobs, each one worth far more than the pricetag of the engine.

- Ryan