Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Unique MUD idea? (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442)

tehScarecrow 04-16-2006 05:34 AM

Ide 04-16-2006 05:09 PM

I like this idea a lot. How do closed-ended muds handle new characters created after the mud starts a new cycle?

This reminds me of a fun 8+ person social/drinking game called Werewolf/Hunter. You all sit in a circle, two people are werewolves, one person is the judge, one person is the seer. Every night everyone but the judge closes their eyes, then the werewolves open their eyes and choose (by pointing) someone to kill (they can choose the same person). The werewolves close their eyes, the seer opens their eyes, and the judge tells the seer who the werewolves are. Then everyone 'wakes up' and opens their eyes. The judge names whoever is dead, then the villagers (including the werewolves and the seer) choose (by discussion and voting) one person (who is suspected of being the werewolf) to kill. Repeat until all the werewolves or villagers are dead.

Also there's a board game called 'Betrayal at House on the Hill' that I think would be a very good model for this kind of mud. In Betrayal a group of about six players explore a haunted house by adding room tiles to a starting entrance tile, and encounter events, items they can take, etc. At a certain point the 'betrayal' is triggered, and one person becomes the traitor/monster with a secret goal that the rest of the players have to counter (the goals are contained in a largish scenario book that's based on the specific combination of things that set off the betrayal).

tehScarecrow 04-16-2006 11:54 PM

Ide 04-17-2006 12:40 AM

What if it was tied into the theme such that any character could become 'evil' at some point, not just at chargen -- this way you could maintain PC persistance and not have to pwipe. Not to say I don't think cycles are a good idea too. Perhaps PCs could become evil either at chargen or in-game.

tehScarecrow 04-17-2006 07:20 PM

Malap 04-25-2006 07:17 AM

I built a mafia game into SIMud a few months ago. It's great fun, though it's annoying when you can't reach the minimum of 5 players needed.

Go for it, it's a great game to play, just know that you're going to have the problem of all pure-pvp muds where no one is on, one person logs on, sees no one, logs off, repeat. Think of what kind of solo content you can add so players stick around until there's enough of them to play the main game.

Milawe 04-25-2006 11:33 AM

Maybe that problem could be remedied by keeping a website where people can sign up for some intense game play. Thus, you can see when people might be online a few days (or hours) ahead and plan to be on at the same time.

How long will the cycles be? Are you going to have to do any leveling up?

What are your ideas on the role points system? I'm always very skeptical of these systems because I've yet to see one that I thought worked well in a MUD. They're usually either horded or given out so freely by some players that they might as well be worthless. Would you, the administrator, be the one to give them out? Or would players give them to each other?

The project sounds very interesting which is why it set my little brain to thinking, of course!

Maraz 04-25-2006 03:55 PM

Sounds like an interesting idea.

If you did this using Vampires or werewolves you might consider the possibility of them being able to bite others and turn them into new vampires/werewolves.