Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tavern of the Blue Hand (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Last Resort - Approaching ANNOYING! (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408)

Orion Elder 08-24-2002 11:50 PM

Ok, this isn't just about the above... but they're the latest in a string of MUDs to do this... if you're going to submit reviews, at least make them proper reviews. 'This puh-lace Is DaAAAA BIZZZZOMB!' is NOT a proper review.

If you think it is, you're wrong. Period. I won't be swayed on that point, so don't waste your time trying to convince me otherwise.

A review should consist of at least three sentences or more (it SHOULD consist of a lot more, but at least three), and should be spell-checked, and professional. 'Yo, Duudez! This place R0x0rs j00!' Yeah... can I 'r0x0rs j00' up side your head? Please? It won't hurt... well... actually I'm lying. It'll hurt a lot. I'll make sure of it.

Anyone ELSE annoyed by all these reviews for the same MUD that LITERALLY pop up within minutes, or even seconds of each other?

Ike 08-25-2002 12:30 AM

I posted that last review.. However I did it only to mock those submitting the other ones. Reviews perhaps should be reviewed by an admin here at TopMudSites instead of being instantly accepted without even using a proper email address...

thelenian 08-25-2002 12:41 AM

emphasis mine
-Pathnon

emphasis mine
-Nightraver

Anyone else find it suspicious that the two reviews end with remarkably similar sentences and the same misspelling of "quite"?

Wenlin 08-25-2002 12:46 AM

Yes, I noticed that quit=quite right off too...

And Ike, having someone review reviews is a great idea. I nominiate myself for the job.

Samson 08-25-2002 12:47 AM

Me, personally, I think fake reviews suck. They only prove that whoever you're reviewing the mud for clearly sucks as well. Especially when all you can think of is "D00d! This place r0x0rz you!" as a comment. And to the one person who admitted to doing fake reviews, that's even lower. It means YOU suck in addition to your mud. Shame on you!

On the subject of what constitutes a review, good or bad, I'm not sure, but I can guarantee you not even 3 sentences is enough. You need to at least convey the illusion you know what you're talking about. Something that just can't be done with 3 sentences that look like my dog barfed them up after eating the newspaper.

Brody 08-25-2002 01:30 AM

Ntanel 08-25-2002 05:12 AM

Holy heck Batman, Brody said exactly what was said when we all on IMC were discussing the situation. Limited reviews to once a day per MU* is an excellent idea.

BTW, I want whatever Brody is having, he seems like he is fully enjoying whatever it is, hehe.

Robbert 08-25-2002 10:38 AM

I bet he'll enjoy it for quit some time.

Limit reviews, agreed.

Retain the option to, at the readers discretion, shoot the reviewer.

Brianna 08-25-2002 10:48 AM

I have to agree that the spam of reviews for the above mentioned game is not only annoying but defeating the purpose they were shooting for.

My realm has had a few reviews, we are now undergoing some major renovations but Not one of those reviews we had I would personally find objectionable. They were over all complimentary and pointed out something we need to work on but not one was requested by any members of our staff for a player or such to gain favors.

When I saw the recent review list I could see that these people were asked to help promote the mud by doing "reviews". I found nothing in any of them to make me want to see what all the ruckus is about.

Just my 2 cents worth

Alaire 08-25-2002 10:57 AM

I have to agree there.
They're really just making the mud they're trying to promote look needy. They'll figure it out soon enough.

That said, I hate when MUDs ask people to post reviews or solicit votes beyond saying 'hey! we're on TMS! If ya think we deserve it, here's the link!'. Still, I don't think it really needs policing... just shun them. SHUN THEM ALL!

Xanferious 08-25-2002 11:10 AM

delete fake posts!

AlazlamBL 08-25-2002 11:45 AM

Just my two cents, limiting the reviews to 1 per day per mud is a good idea. Well that's it. Wait, that was only one cent. Hmmm...ok, my other cent is that there should be a review policy, and if a review doesn't meet the standard, it be removed. There, two cents. Have a nice day everyone.

ScourgeX 08-25-2002 12:10 PM

Ingham 08-25-2002 01:27 PM

While posting multiple reviews is quite annoying and an attempt to lie to players about the MUD, I fail to see how an utterly immature poll like this helps the situation. A quiet email to Synozeer, coupled with perhaps an explanation of what happen/is going to happen would be FAR better and more mature then starting a campaign against said MUD.

Orion Elder 08-25-2002 04:09 PM

Valg 08-25-2002 04:53 PM

I don't think it necessarily reflects poorly on the MUD being reviewed- for all we know, it could be some tard who got banned from there and knows that "dood" reviews are actually negative press. If the poster is from the MUD's staff..... well, yes, that's a red flag.

That being said, I'd love to see either:
1) Designated reviewers who occasionally check out a MUD in some detail.
2) Moderation of reviews, used only to weed out flames and spam. I think a moderator of this sort would need a very light touch- even incomplete or badly written reviews might give some useful information about a MUD.

Wenlin 08-25-2002 06:21 PM

If someone(s) is actually chosen to review reviews, its true, its a thankless job. But what about those people that like working behind the scenes? A name mention is all you need.

"Reviews are reviewed by Bob and Lisa"

It must be someone unbiast, if its a negative review, but it meets standards for a review, they must put it up. Its guidelines like this that could make this a stellar idea.

Enzo 08-25-2002 10:49 PM

Ntanel 08-26-2002 12:05 AM

Robbert replied to my comment about me wanting whatever Brody was enjoying as thus, "I bet he'll enjoy it for quit some time."

Was that spelling error of "quite" intentional or otherwise? Perhaps it is a common spelling error of people in his region of the world? No one said English was easy.

It is just there and gives the wrong idea that perhaps Robbert could have submitted fake reviews. We know Robbert could not be naughty like that!

Those who post fake reviews should be punished and thanks to the magic of logs, it is not hard to find out who did what. It is just hard to get some action in response to it.

Neranz Laverani 08-26-2002 04:39 PM

Limiting reviews to one per day will require additional coding. Why not take it further and overhaul the review system?

Have "topics" be the mud name alone with the number of posts (which include reviews and responses to reviews). To make it easier reviews could only be posted for muds that have voluntarily registered in the database.

The Review section would look like this:
Reviews
* Mud A (# of posts)
** Review 1
*** Response 1A
*** Response 1B
*** Response 1C
*** Response 1D
*** Response 1E
*** Response 1F
** Review 2
*** Response 2A
*** Response 2B
** Review 3
* Mud B
** Review 1
*** Response 1A

Lumping all of the reviews for one mud together would make it easier to research muds seriously and spot spammer muds.

Neranz Laverani, Seeker of Knowledge